Any lawyers or HR geniuses?
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 36,722, Level: 59
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,128
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    drmwevr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    3,460
    Points
    36,722
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 6

    Any lawyers or HR geniuses?

    My wife took 8wks of maternity leave in August. Since that time she has taken a grand total of 2 days off. He job, however, has informed her that if she takes any more time before the end of the year (June 30) she may get fired. Now, she has burned through all her 'leave' time and took some FMLA in order to cover the whole 8wk maternity leave. To my knowledge, they wouldn't let her save some of her leave and apply more FMLA to that maternity leave, and in addition she tried to carry more time over from June 30 08 because she knew about the impending leave but they wouldn't let her do that either. The way I look at it, aside from the 8wks that the Federal Govt says they HAVE to give her, she has taken 2 days off, yet her job is in jeopardy. Any thoughts on how we can put an end to this ridiculous situation?
    Thanks for any advice!


    Nothing to see here mods. Keep moving.

  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 170,205, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    The_Architect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Focus Town
    Posts
    11,882
    Points
    170,205
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 490
    Given: 2,073

    Re: Any lawyers or HR geniuses?

    Her employer is probably hurting and looking for ways to get rid of some people.


    While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 81,388, Level: 88
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ames, Born and Raised
    Posts
    8,423
    Points
    81,388
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Any lawyers or HR geniuses?

    When did the end of the year change to June 30th and why wasn't I notified?

    Sounds like kind of a raw deal, but I think sick time and leave in general is usually completely up to the company unless I'm mistaken. Maybe someone will come set me straight as I don't have any real experience in that type of situation. Is she a teacher of some kind? Tell her to flex her union muscle if so.


    It's Bushbama!

    2 time Chupacabra of Humor Award Recipient

    Quote Originally Posted by joefrog
    I will admit, I am to blame in sometimes making mountains out of molehills.

  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 36,722, Level: 59
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,128
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    drmwevr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    3,460
    Points
    36,722
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 6

    Re: Any lawyers or HR geniuses?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
    Her employer is probably hurting and looking for ways to get rid of some people.
    Shes a nurse in hospice - no chance of that. I should have mentioned that.


    Nothing to see here mods. Keep moving.

  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 81,388, Level: 88
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ames, Born and Raised
    Posts
    8,423
    Points
    81,388
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Any lawyers or HR geniuses?

    If nobody on here can answer a forum I read, more for funny stories about how bad people are at their jobs than real info, is laborlawtalk.com Lots of HR professionals that post there and may be able to answer your question.


    It's Bushbama!

    2 time Chupacabra of Humor Award Recipient

    Quote Originally Posted by joefrog
    I will admit, I am to blame in sometimes making mountains out of molehills.

  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 15,850, Level: 38
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 600
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    shildreth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,150
    Points
    15,850
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 33

    Re: Any lawyers or HR geniuses?

    Quote Originally Posted by drmwevr08 View Post
    My wife took 8wks of maternity leave in August. Since that time she has taken a grand total of 2 days off. He job, however, has informed her that if she takes any more time before the end of the year (June 30) she may get fired. Now, she has burned through all her 'leave' time and took some FMLA in order to cover the whole 8wk maternity leave. To my knowledge, they wouldn't let her save some of her leave and apply more FMLA to that maternity leave, and in addition she tried to carry more time over from June 30 08 because she knew about the impending leave but they wouldn't let her do that either. The way I look at it, aside from the 8wks that the Federal Govt says they HAVE to give her, she has taken 2 days off, yet her job is in jeopardy. Any thoughts on how we can put an end to this ridiculous situation?
    Thanks for any advice!
    FMLA is a protected unpaid leave for up to 12 weeks. From your post it sounds like she took a disability leave concurrently. Standard leave for disability due to giving birth is 6 weeks for normal birth and 8 weeks for caesarian (sp).

    The first thing I would do in your case is too double check that your disability time was also covered under FMLA time. They are two seperate filings. Most companys enroll you in both but ultimately it is your responsibility as an employee to track and apply for FMLA. Especially in smaller companys (must have 50 employees to be eligible for FMLA).

    If it is covered under FMLA than it should not count as an absence as it is protected leave. If she is fired for cause then after losing her job the recourse would be to show that her absences were covered and the ones that were not (the other 2 days you mentioned) falls within the normal company allotted guidelines all other employees receive.

    This is all generic and without knowing her individual disability and time off policy its hard to say for sure. Sounds like she may be getting strong armed though.

    Here is a fmla for dummies brief to help. good luck.
    FmlaOnline.com - The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)


    '00 Grad
    "Can I borrow your towel, my car just hit a water buffalo" Erwin Fletcher

  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 36,722, Level: 59
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,128
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    drmwevr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    3,460
    Points
    36,722
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 6

    Re: Any lawyers or HR geniuses?

    She definitely filed for FLMA for the maternity. She burned up her other leave time so she really had no choice there. She would have, however, used more unpaid FMLA then if they had let her.


    Nothing to see here mods. Keep moving.

  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 170,205, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    The_Architect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Focus Town
    Posts
    11,882
    Points
    170,205
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 490
    Given: 2,073

    Re: Any lawyers or HR geniuses?

    Quote Originally Posted by drmwevr08 View Post
    Shes a nurse in hospice - no chance of that. I should have mentioned that.
    Oh ok, that DOES make a difference


    While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 32,778, Level: 55
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 272
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    4VR4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    3,468
    Points
    32,778
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Any lawyers or HR geniuses?

    That is horrible! Is she looking for another job?


    Just in case you didn't know... I'm a girl.

  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 62,934, Level: 77
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,202
    Points
    62,934
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 162

    Re: Any lawyers or HR geniuses?

    Quote Originally Posted by cmoneyr View Post
    When did the end of the year change to June 30th and why wasn't I notified?
    Fiscal year dude. This is pretty common among employers. For instance, my employer counts vacation days by fiscal year (July 1 - June 30) and personal/sick days by calendar year. Not confusing at all.



  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 15,516, Level: 37
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    kgreeny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,233
    Points
    15,516
    Level
    37
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

    Re: Any lawyers or HR geniuses?

    Quote Originally Posted by shildreth View Post
    FMLA is a protected unpaid leave for up to 12 weeks. From your post it sounds like she took a disability leave concurrently. Standard leave for disability due to giving birth is 6 weeks for normal birth and 8 weeks for caesarian (sp).

    The first thing I would do in your case is too double check that your disability time was also covered under FMLA time. They are two seperate filings. Most companys enroll you in both but ultimately it is your responsibility as an employee to track and apply for FMLA. Especially in smaller companys (must have 50 employees to be eligible for FMLA).

    If it is covered under FMLA than it should not count as an absence as it is protected leave. If she is fired for cause then after losing her job the recourse would be to show that her absences were covered and the ones that were not (the other 2 days you mentioned) falls within the normal company allotted guidelines all other employees receive.

    This is all generic and without knowing her individual disability and time off policy its hard to say for sure. Sounds like she may be getting strong armed though.

    Here is a fmla for dummies brief to help. good luck.
    FmlaOnline.com - The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)

    Mrs. KGreeny (VP of HR)... Agrees with this. Also adds it's all dependent on what the employer has set up in the hand book.




    "I believe the state color for Alabama should be primer," Larry the Cable Guy.

  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 408,173, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    61,115
    Points
    408,173
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 882
    Given: 620

    Re: Any lawyers or HR geniuses?

    Might be new socialism. That is how they do annual leave in England. Everyone has same staring point with so many days off and that is it.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 91,556, Level: 94
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,594
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CYdTracked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,700
    Points
    91,556
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 8

    Re: Any lawyers or HR geniuses?

    Is there a paper trail of this "threat?" I'd hold onto any emails and such if there is just in case. If she has a balance of paid time off that she is entitled to use and they fired her because she used it I think somewhere there is a labor law being broke.


    Go Cubs Go!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.tv
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Mississippi Valley State
  • December 31, 2014
  • 06:00 PM