Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Bears WR overhaul

NFLSpot.com
    January 27, 2009
    Esteban Olivo, Staff Writer

Multiple reports say Brandon Lloyd and Marty Booker will not be reuppped for '09.

Mike Hass has also signed a futures contract with the Seattle Seahawks.

Devin Hester is expected to hold his spot, but that leaves the other spot wide open. It is unknown how much the club trusts All-Training Camp stud Brand Rideau and 2nd year man Earl Bennet, but Rashied Davis was given a huge oppurtunity and dropped it. Literaly.

Ron Turner was quoted as saying the team's biggest need was "a playmaker". While it is unknown what route(no pun intended) the team will take to fix the WR position, which many feel is the weakest on the team, it is safe to say the team will not pursue big money free agent TJ Houshmanzadeh, and Anquan Boldin's price may be too steep all things considered as well.

For a team in need of a playmaker, the draft sure doesnt look too reassuring either. The consensus top prospect, Texas Tech's Michael Crabtree, figures to be long gone before the Bears get a shot 18 picks in. While the rest of the WR class looks solid, its hard to project any of them to be stars immediatly, which is what the Bears need. Names like Darius Heyward-Bey, Parcy Harvin, Kenny Britt, Hakeem Nicks, and Jeremy Maclin could be called when pick 18 rolls around however.

The Bears had to rely on their TEs split wide when they needed a physical presence on the corners, and while effective at times last season, it's going to be hard to keep running those plays when theyre constantly on film. Youd have to figure the Bears want a physical WR to compliment Hester and the rest of the quick twitch corps.

While the question might be simple, the answer is not. How do the Bears fix the WR position? Jerry Angelo will say fix the QB. Lovie Smith will tell you get different guys the oppurtunity. Ron Turner says go out and get a playmaker.

It might be another long offseason, Bears fans.

All-Star
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 777
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 406
    Given: 294

Re: Bears WR overhaul

Go get new players who can play 16 games without injuries. Try out Todd Blythe. He can play in cold weather. I would have am open camp to just call in everyone that needs a wide receiver job in America.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Pro
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Go get new players who can play 16 games without injuries. Try out Todd Blythe. He can play in cold weather. I would have am open camp to just call in everyone that needs a wide receiver job in America.
    Blythe had some injuries... He'd be a good redzone target but I can't see him getting open in the open field in the NFL...

Your problem lies with crappy QB and poor offensive playcalling. I could see a Pro-Bowl WR go to the Bears to have their career worst season. It's where WRs go to end their careers....

I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...

Pro
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,202
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 65

Quote Originally Posted by mplscyclone View Post
    Your problem lies with crappy QB and poor offensive playcalling. I could see a Pro-Bowl WR go to the Bears to have their career worst season. It's where WRs go to end their careers....
    WR's can make a QB look better, but rarely do you see a QB make a WR look better. Either the guy can get open and make a catch, or he can't. Forte has been a huge addition, and now they need to go get a couple of good, young, WR's instead of guys like Muhammad that had a couple of good years here and there.

Orton will never be a pro bowl QB, but he is serviceable and doesn't make too many turnovers.

All-Star
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 486
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 4

If I was a top flight receiver, the Bears would be towards the bottom of the teams I would want to sign with. As soon as they get a QB that should be a starter and not a back up, this will hopefully change.

Rookie
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 241
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I think the bears need a quarterback that can make plays on their own. They will have a solid running game next year like they always depend on and any quarterback can hand it off to Forte. It would be nice to see someone that can get out of the pocket and pass it or take off. I think this would be a big advantage and make the defense play a little closer to the line and give the wideouts a little more room. If you haven't figured it out yet I'm thinking Seneca because he is better than anything that the Bears have right now but that doesn't take much.