Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 94

Recruiting Article from CFN

Just read a pretty good article on recruiting by Pete Fiutak at CFN. Some of it's basic, but talks about how teams should go about recruiting and what to look for in certain positions.

Scout.com: Recruiting 2009 ... How To Build A Team

This part stood out to me:

Running back - Breakaway speed is overrated. If a back can get five yards past the line of scrimmage with some sort of consistency, that's all that matters. The back has to be able to make the first guy miss and has to be able to follow blocks. That might sound basic, but too many runners are used to taking the ball and using their speed to make plays. In the faster college game, backs must show running back skills, patience and instincts, and not just simply be great athletes.

Rookie
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 589
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Recruiting Article from CFN

I completely agree with the authors assessment of D tackles in college. Its rare to find guys who can play the position straight out of HS at the D-1 level. That and a good pair of DTs are a huge bonus to the linebackers ability to make plays in the running game.

He does say that most college team run more then pass. Hmm... I guess he was not writing this with the Big 12 south in mind.

Prospect
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 210
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaCy View Post
    Just read a pretty good article on recruiting by Pete Fiutak at CFN. Some of it's basic, but talks about how teams should go about recruiting and what to look for in certain positions.

Scout.com: Recruiting 2009 ... How To Build A Team

This part stood out to me:

Beau has some of those qualities from the videos I watched. He was fun to watch in those videos and I think he will be a great player for ISU in a couple years. Troy Davis wasn't huge. We tend to forget about the things that really drive somebody to be great. A chip on the shoulder of a kid is a good thing.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,281
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 94

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneace55 View Post
    I completely agree with the authors assessment of D tackles in college. Its rare to find guys who can play the position straight out of HS at the D-1 level. That and a good pair of DTs are a huge bonus to the linebackers ability to make plays in the running game.

He does say that most college team run more then pass. Hmm... I guess he was not writing this with the Big 12 south in mind.
    Actually, Texas Tech was the only team in the Big 12 to pass more than rush. OU, who had the reputation of a team that really aired it out, rushed more times (584) than any other team in the conference.

3 teams in the South rushed more than 500 times - OU, UT, and OSU.