Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Harry Potter Series Discussion

Warning this thread is open for discussion on the entire Harry Potter series. Some spoilers may be given, so proceed with caution.

I know there are other forums out there to talk about this, but none greater than with other Cyclone fans. I just finished the first book and am about ready to go to the second, but wanted to get other peoples thoughts on it. There are a lot of theories out there that I have come across and am interested in what others thought.

Please comment, because I think this could be fun.
    And lets stay on topic. Thanks.

mugglenet.com is a good link that Cygoat recommended seeing as well.

www.the-leaky-cauldron.org was recommended as another link to visit. Enjoy.

Last edited by guitarchitect7; 01-04-2007 at 08:41 AM.
    "You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 579
    Given: 405

Re: Harry Potter Book 1, S.S.

I dont read, i watch the movie. I think the last book i read was Bram Stokers Dracula, oooooh wait and the relic. A book really has to have great description and a good flow for me to stay interested. I do think the Harry Potter books would be good. My wife has them all so far and loves them. I like the movies =)

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Wait, I'm supposed to comment on theories about the first book even though I've read the rest of them? I think I have a pretty good idea what's going to happen...

You should start reading now since the books get even better. I think my favorite was the 4th but I'm definitely excited for the last one to come out. And, yes, I am a nerd.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I guess count me as a nerd too. The books are fantastic and you never want them to end!! Keep reading me friend, you'll love it!

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Well, what theories do you mean? If you mean theories about the seventh book, there's a REALLY good website out there called mugglenet.com which has "debunked rumours" which are really helpful.
    But anyway, I'm so glad you liked the books! I personally think the books are WAAAAY better than the movies, don't you? -- Cygoat's daughter

GO CYCLONES!

Addict
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 275
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I do like the books better than the movies. Far better. There were even some cut scenes from the movie that I though should have been put in.

I really like the ending where him and Albus are in the hospital wing talking about the events that transpired. A lot of questions were answered, some I already had my thoughts about. The one on Voldy killing his mother is still up in the air.

The movie really doesnt do a good job explaining why the three of them had to go through all these obstacles to get to the stone. Unless you read the book, you wouldn't understand.

What do you all think?

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Well, I don't know exactly... it's been a while since I've seen the first movie, but I guess it would be safe to say that the only reason they gave in the movie for getting the stone is because "Snape" wants it.
    I was also really dissapointed that they cut Peeves from all the movies. He's really cool, I think. -- Cygoat's daughter

Last edited by cygoat; 01-03-2007 at 01:27 PM.
    GO CYCLONES!

All-Star
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 3

u picked the perfect time to start reading the books. By the time u get to the last written book (now), the final book may be out. I hate sitting and waiting, and waiting, and waiting for it.

On the movies, well, the books are much better....but those kids have improved on their acting some (as the get older - more experience).

I'd also recommend reading the Narnia books. They are rather simple reads, but entertaining. And whatever you do, never read the Silmarillion (last JR Tolkien book).

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Smile Re: Harry Potter Book 1, S.S.

Quote Originally Posted by crash_zone View Post
    u picked the perfect time to start reading the books. By the time u get to the last written book (now), the final book may be out. I hate sitting and waiting, and waiting, and waiting for it.

On the movies, well, the books are much better....but those kids have improved on their acting some (as the get older - more experience).
    Oh, but it's really fun waiting too! Because then you can read all the theories about what people think is going to happen in the next ones and go to midnight openings and stuff.

And I have to agree that the acting, at least by the kids, in the movies is mediocre. The adult acting is pretty good. For instance, Alan Rickman is an awesome Snape. But admitedly, his hair isn't greasy enough. --CY'DER

Last edited by cygoat; 01-03-2007 at 03:50 PM.
    GO CYCLONES!

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Well I shall be getting into the second book tonight. I jumped on mugglenet.com a sec ago and there is some neat things that I dont think a lot of people think about when reading.

I am a big Star wars fan too. I remember reading all the theories before the last movie released. Though it all gets pretty well sorted out by the end of it all, it is still fun to here others thoughts and the little things that everyone picks up on.

H.P. is the same way. There is so much little stuff to think about when you progress through, that it almost becomes overwhelming.

It does seem like its going to be limiting to just focus on the one book, so I think it might be best to open it up to the whole series. I will just put a warning at the beginning of all this to let people know their could be spoilers lurking through this.

With that said here are a few thoughts.

What is so important on how Harry has his mother's eyes?
    Do you think Voldermort or Harry will die and why?
    I believe Ginny has a big role coming up other than just being another Weasley.

I will try to think of others, but those are a few.

Last edited by guitarchitect7; 01-03-2007 at 05:21 PM.

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by guitarchitect7 View Post

What is so important on how Harry has his mother's eyes?
    Do you think Voldermort or Harry will die and why?
    I believe Ginny has a big role coming up other than just being another Weasley.

I will try to think of others, but those are a few.
    Those are some good questions. I think that Harry's having Lily's eyes is important because I think he might have to make a sacrifice, just like Lily did. And somehow, he'll know he has to because he sees "through her eyes" or something like that.
    Also, Voldemort will die. I don't think Harry will, (mostly because I don't want him to), but Voldemort has to. Otherwise the books woulnd't have an end.
    I also think Ginny will have a big role in the Deathly Hallows, because she is supposedly a very powerful witch being the seventh child of two seventh children (Mr. and Mrs. Weasley).

What do you think?- CY'DER.

GO CYCLONES!

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Harry Potter Series Discussion

Its hard for me to say on any of these except maybe the second one.

It has been confirmed that Harry having his moms eyes is significant, but I dont know why. And I am not far enough along in the books to even take a stap at it.

I think Harry dies. I cant tell you why, but just a gut feeling. Maybe when i find out more, I can give you a better answer.

Ginny does seem to be one that is sprouting up as a main influence in this story. Starting back in the second book till now.

I started the second book tonight and the first thing I noticed is a lot of Italic words. I really need to get caught up before I can really dive too much into the theories. Thats why I was hoping this thread would start some conversations for myself and others to learn from.

Addict
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 8

I'm among those eagerly awaiting that damned 7th book to come out. Even after the 6th book, there are still some mysteries that haven't been solved, such as the importance of Lily Potter's eyes... maybe green eyes are a lucky trait to have in the wizarding world? Who knows...

I still don't know why they haven't made Daniel Radcliffe's eyes green, if it's supposed to be a huge deal in the 7th book.

Ginny better have a big role. I didn't even think about the fact that she's the 7th child of the Weasly family... not to mention, the first female sibling.

I think both Harry and Voldemort will cancel one another out by killing each other. The Sorceror's Stone had a lot to do with birth and (eternal) life, while the Deathly Hallows has a lot of death undertones going for it, doesn't it?

Go Sssssssssyclones!

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 763
    Given: 3,058

Quote Originally Posted by AirWalke View Post
    I think both Harry and Voldemort will cancel one another out by killing each other.
    I'm with you, AirWalke - kind of a yin yang of good/evil. In order to restore balance, you can't have one w/out the other.

Probably a good idea to relax the thread a little - not a ton of spoilers for most people when there are already six books and four movies out.

Last edited by Angie; 01-03-2007 at 10:46 PM.
    M 7/09

All-Star
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 782
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Alright, I admit that I am a big Harry Potter fan. I watch the movies and thoroughly enjoy the books. Due to my commute I have rented all of the books on CD and rip them to my MP3 Player. The guy who reads the books is great.

check out www.the-leaky-cauldron.org for any and everything Harry Potter.

There are supposedly going to be 3 deaths in the last book. Obviously one is going to be Voldemort. I think one will be a Death Eater and the other will probably be from the other side. Personally, I think it will be a Weasley. I don't think that Harry, Hermione or Ron will be killed, no real reason why, just a thought.