Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jazz

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Jazz

My wife and I went to Drake last night, to hear our 15 y.o. daughter play in the Drake Honor Jazz Band. First of all, it was an honor and a joy to watch our daughter ripping on the trombone like that. She has a true talent, which I hope she continues to develop.

We both like jazz, blues and soul music.... however, I just don't "get" when jazz musicians go into their seemingly endless and pointless free form improv solos. Frankly, it seems to me a kind of musical masturbation, where the only one who enjoys it is the musician themselves. My wife agrees.

I realize that personal preference and taste is involved here, and would like to hear from people who feel differently than my wife and I.

Are there any other jazz fans on the forum? If so, what do you think of regular jazz and jazz solos?

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 148
    Given: 92

Re: Jazz

Jazz fan here, and I agree with you on the solos. That's why I generally listen to stuff that is more structured.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Starter
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 87
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 30

Sometimes free form make sense. I enjoy jazz but admit my tastes are probably pretty dated.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 1

I'm a jazz fan, and can do without long solos as well. I have gotten into Big Band lately (Count Basie, Buddy Rich, Charles Mingus, etc.) probably because it's more structured.

I do like jazz combos, though, as it's neat hearing each individual piece mesh with the others, and then stand out from one another with solos.

Favorite song at the moment: "Love for Sale" by Buddy Rich

Pro
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 816
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 9

Lots of enjoying improv comes from being pleasantly surprised and satisfied by the ideas they lay down, and not necessarily the musicality of the solo. Does that make sense? I totally agree though - I have often found myself wondering when the vamp will end and the rest of the band will come in....

In terms of favorite songs...and seeings that your daughter's a bone player, one of my favorite trombone solo pieces is Bill Waltrous' "Fourth Floor Walkup." Not classic jazz per se....definitely a funk tune. But I like it.

Last edited by MidwestZest; 02-04-2009 at 03:03 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,435
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I wouldn't describe myself as a jazz fanatic, but I was in my very small high school's very small jazz band and also worked at WOI radio on nights and weekends long enough to listen a bit. By no means do I consider myself an expert (or even close). But since you asked for an opinion...

I think it's very subjective. I agree that many jazz solos seem to be enjoyed only by the people playing them. The majority of jazz solos I've heard at high school and college concerts seem that way, I think primarily because the musicians are amateurs. When I say "amateurs," I mean it as respectfully as possible--after all, I was once one of those amateurs myself, and everybody has to start somewhere.

For me, improv solos and jazz music in general gets more interesting when you listen to the pros. Even some of the "semi-pros" (some of the local bands I've heard) can be fun to listen to. That said, I've heard a lot of jazz music even from the professionals that I just don't "get."

I don't know how to describe my feelings about it beyond that. I guess all I can say is that I know what I like when I hear it.

Pro
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 180
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 14

Does she play the "Yaz flute"

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day".-Frank Sinatra

@cyfert26 on Twitter

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isucyfan View Post
    I'm a jazz fan, and can do without long solos as well. I have gotten into Big Band lately (Count Basie, Buddy Rich, Charles Mingus, etc.) probably because it's more structured.
    I love Count Basie...his rhythm section rocks...

The song that Jerry Lewis is pantomiming in this clip is the ending of Basie's Blues in Hoss' Flat, which is my favorite Basie tune. I'm not a huge Jerry Lewis fan, but this is pretty clever, plus the song is great...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MA3406YJUg]YouTube - Jerry Lewis - The Errand Boy (1961) Pantomime[/ame]

Pro
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,297
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by dustinal View Post
    guess all I can say is that I know what I like when I hear it.
    Same here. Over time, I admit to becoming more of a blues fan than straight jazz. Even in professional improv, it seems that it can be quite rehearsed, and that takes the fun out of it for the listener.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 913
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I play jazz semi-professionally in Denver. (meaning, I have a real job to support myself, but do get hired regularly to play) I have started a Big Band playing Buddy Rich, Count Basie, Duke Ellington and Stan Kenton charts. We currently have a steady gig at a local swing dance club. I have toured internationally playing jazz. I recently was part of a big band started by Count Basie's former lead trumpet player and arranger, Sam Bivens.

So those are my qualifications. Now my opinion of jazz improv. Done properly, the solo should elevate or keep the flow of the chart going. It should not be a stumbling block in the song. Jazz improv is truly an art form and a skill that takes time, practice and creativity. It can be and usually is somewhat nerve-racking to get up infront of a crowd and make up something on one's instrument and hope that it doesn't sound like a lawnmower running over a small animal.

Duke Ellington was known for listening to his musicians solos, hearing a rythm or lick he liked and turning it into a chart.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 401
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 47

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Frankly, it seems to me a kind of musical masturbation, where the only one who enjoys it is the musician themselves.

he said masturbation...

Quote Originally Posted by JonDMiller View Post

Dosry, You know what? I think I'll agree with you :)

Quote Originally Posted by bos
    You sir are a legend.

Pro
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Not a huge jazz fan, but Time Out by the Dave Brubeck Quartet is one of my favorite albums of all time.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    My wife and I went to Drake last night, to hear our 15 y.o. daughter play in the Drake Honor Jazz Band. First of all, it was an honor and a joy to watch our daughter ripping on the trombone like that. She has a true talent, which I hope she continues to develop.

We both like jazz, blues and soul music.... however, I just don't "get" when jazz musicians go into their seemingly endless and pointless free form improv solos. Frankly, it seems to me a kind of musical masturbation, where the only one who enjoys it is the musician themselves. My wife agrees.

I realize that personal preference and taste is involved here, and would like to hear from people who feel differently than my wife and I.

Are there any other jazz fans on the forum? If so, what do you think of regular jazz and jazz solos?
    Never seen me do it. Done well, it is a true spectator sport.

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by balken View Post
    Not a huge jazz fan, but Time Out by the Dave Brubeck Quartet is one of my favorite albums of all time.
    +1

So, do you think the drum solo in Take Five is too long?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwNrmYRiX_o]YouTube - The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Take Five (1961)[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVGotpIxkGU"]YouTube - Dave Brubeck Quartet - Take Five[/ame]

Last edited by jbhtexas; 02-04-2009 at 04:19 PM.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 114

A solo depends on the performer and the song. Sometimes, a long solo just fits. Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Thelonious Monk. Can you imagine telling any of them, yeah you were great and all, but could you shorten the solo? Ain't gonna happen.

Sometimes less talented performers try to make up for their shortcomings with long solos that don't fit. And that does bother me. I do love listening to Jazz though. Especially on vinyl. Jazz is fantastic, and is a great pick me up or mood music for entertaining.

With that said, here is some Ramsey Lewis Trio for everybody, with a great piano solo in the middle.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slv0j5USBa4]YouTube - ♫♪ Ramsey Lewis Trio, "In Crowd."♫[/ame]

"Dog Eat Dog"
    Read the news
    Someone win,
    Someone lose