Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39
  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 18,672, Level: 41
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 278
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Chitowncy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    753
    Points
    18,672
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 36

    McDermott's Coaching Strategy

    First, a disclaimer: Greg McDermott brings a lot of good things to the table as the Cyclones coach. He seems to be disciplined, and expects discipline from his players on the court and off. He appears to be running a tight ship - no NCAA violations and student-athletes who focus on scholastic achievement. Plus, he seems to care about a few community betterment causes - like the Coaches vs. Cancer cause and the fact that he makes the players go to hospitals, elementary and middles schools, etc.

    However, his coaching strategies on the court have me more and more convinced ISU is destined to continue to struggle. We do not have the best talent out there, but I think this team should at least have 2 possibly 3 more wins from the non-conference schedule, and I would attribute those close losses to some poor teams largely to him.

    Why? Primarily, because he coaches too conservatively. Any one who played competitive basketball and understands the game, particularly if you played a 3 (small forward) or 2 (shooting guard) position knows the numbers game on the offensive boards. As my old high school basketball coach used to do, McDermott only sends 2 or maybe 3 (late in the game) guys to the offensive boards. Meaning, everyone else (i.e. the 3,2, and 1 positions) are supposed to hustle back on D in order to prevent any fast break layups. Watch for it next game! We got crushed by K-State on the offensive boards (at one point it was 10 - 1, then I stopped counting). That's equivalent to 9 more possessions and possibly 9 more shots, barring turnovers, for KState. KState routinely sent 3 sometimes 4 to the boards, and it paid off. THIS HAPPENS AGAINST ALMOST EVERY OPPONENT EXCEPT THE MOST CONSERVATIVE ONES. If we sent more guys to the boards we would undoubtedly even up or come close to evening the offensive rebound margin and give ourselves 7 - 10 more possessions (and shots hopefully) per game.

    Also, his conservative, control-freak nature comes out with the players. He literally tries to manage the players while they are playing. You can see this best when you are in the crowd at Hilton. He'll yell something at a player - like last week when he told Lucca to give it up to DG. As a former player (small college level but I've always supported the Cyclones and even more so now that I'm older), I can tell you that this is one of the most inhibiting and horrible things a coach can do to you on the court. Plus, he's quick with pulling guys (particularly Boozer or other bench players) after they try to take some iniative and make a play (as if our offense is so good at getting good shots every possession on its own).

    Anyway, I hope things turn around and I'll always pull for the 'Clones. I love how McDermott is running the program, but I really hope he takes a harder look at his offensive sets, rebound policy, control-freak nature, and lack of defensive variety (i.e. we never change up defenses to throw opponents off man-2-3zone-triangle zone-1-3-1 zone, press, etc.). I can only hope.



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 51,127, Level: 69
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Drive4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    972
    Posts
    5,541
    Points
    51,127
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 43

    Re: McDermott's Coaching Strategy

    This would've been a good thread to start tomorrow after the board calms down.



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 31,467, Level: 54
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 483
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    goldmember's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,433
    Points
    31,467
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

    Re: McDermott's Coaching Strategy

    For the last couple of years I have said we need to push the ball in order to keep teams honest, and one of the broadcasters said it tonight as well. K-State was sending 4 guys to the offensive boards, because ISU is not a threat to push the ball. If we would at least push the ball periodically, it would keep teams honest, instead we slow it down and get hammered on the offensive boards.


    Last edited by goldmember; 02-03-2009 at 09:44 PM.

  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 188,930, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    kingcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Menlo, Iowa
    Posts
    17,637
    Points
    188,930
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 210
    Given: 137

    Re: McDermott's Coaching Strategy

    For some reason he cannot get raw create their own shot shooters. His PGs cannot hit open 3s. His PGs cannot get to the rack and hit layups on a consistant basis. His SGs cannot dribble and make a shot. Only one player on this team can make their own shot. Only two players can take it from the 3pt line and get to the rim. The best 3 shooters on this team are PFs. There is only one player that come off the bench that can score. The best player on the team forces shots and will not pass out of a double team or bad position.
    If just one of these problems gets taken care of this team will won some games.


    The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

  5. #5
    Starter
    Points: 18,672, Level: 41
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 278
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Chitowncy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    753
    Points
    18,672
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 36

    Re: McDermott's Coaching Strategy

    Good point. I should have done that.

    Honestly though, this is not "steam." These are my reasonable observations taken over the course of McDermott's time at ISU.

    Thanks for reading though



  6. #6
    Legend
    Points: 218,941, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    10,374
    Points
    218,941
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 269
    Given: 355

    Re: McDermott's Coaching Strategy

    The one play that was good tonight was the Peterson/Haluska fast break. That reminded me of the olden days.



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 58,455, Level: 74
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jahfg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,722
    Points
    58,455
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 19

    Re: McDermott's Coaching Strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by goldmember View Post
    I have been saying the last couple of years, and one of the broadcasters said it tonight. K-State was sending 4 guys to the offense boards, because ISU is not a threat to push the ball. If we would at least push the ball periodically, it would keep teams honest, instead we slow it down and get hammered on the offensive boards.
    We don't have the personnel to push to ball.



  8. #8
    Starter
    Points: 18,672, Level: 41
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 278
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Chitowncy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    753
    Points
    18,672
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 36

    Re: McDermott's Coaching Strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by goldmember View Post
    For the last couple of years I have said we need to push the ball in order to keep teams honest, and one of the broadcasters said it tonight as well. K-State was sending 4 guys to the offense boards, because ISU is not a threat to push the ball. If we would at least push the ball periodically, it would keep teams honest, instead we slow it down and get hammered on the offensive boards.
    Exactly! Another good point. Oh well, maybe someone will call-in and ask him about it on the call-in show.



  9. #9
    Addict Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CTAClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Amerika
    Posts
    9,218
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: McDermott's Coaching Strategy

    Another McDermott debate again.

    One we don't have the speed to run the floor.
    Two, we can't crash the boards because we'll get beat in transition because we don't have speed.
    Three, some players need to be coached on the court. Others do not. Just because your high school coach said so doesn't mean it's a golden rule. Nice try though.
    Four, most of our players aren't Big 12 talent. nuff' said.
    Five, I'm sick and tired of seeing the same players on the court when they clearly can't get it done consistently. I have more of a beef with that than anything else you can throw around about Mac.


    "If you can't hear me, it's because I'm in parentheses."



  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 23,431, Level: 46
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Swanson10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,859
    Points
    23,431
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 6

    Re: McDermott's Coaching Strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    The one play that was good tonight was the Peterson/Haluska fast break. That reminded me of the olden days.
    Was going to point this out earlier. But I thought they called that the OFFENSIVE PLAY OF THE GAME. and a fast break to boot


    NHL teams need to be added to the favorite teams section.

  11. #11
    Chile Mac is Back!
    Points: 305,637, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    LindenCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    23,477
    Points
    305,637
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 526
    Given: 1,124

    Re: McDermott's Coaching Strategy

    Petersen played with urgency and emotion when it counted. Unfortunately many didn't.



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 58,752, Level: 75
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,298
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    2,515
    Points
    58,752
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 0

    Re: McDermott's Coaching Strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by Chitowncy View Post
    First, a disclaimer: Greg McDermott brings a lot of good things to the table as the Cyclones coach. He seems to be disciplined, and expects discipline from his players on the court and off. He appears to be running a tight ship - no NCAA violations and student-athletes who focus on scholastic achievement. Plus, he seems to care about a few community betterment causes - like the Coaches vs. Cancer cause and the fact that he makes the players go to hospitals, elementary and middles schools, etc.

    However, his coaching strategies on the court have me more and more convinced ISU is destined to continue to struggle. We do not have the best talent out there, but I think this team should at least have 2 possibly 3 more wins from the non-conference schedule, and I would attribute those close losses to some poor teams largely to him.

    Why? Primarily, because he coaches too conservatively. Any one who played competitive basketball and understands the game, particularly if you played a 3 (small forward) or 2 (shooting guard) position knows the numbers game on the offensive boards. As my old high school basketball coach used to do, McDermott only sends 2 or maybe 3 (late in the game) guys to the offensive boards. Meaning, everyone else (i.e. the 3,2, and 1 positions) are supposed to hustle back on D in order to prevent any fast break layups. Watch for it next game! We got crushed by K-State on the offensive boards (at one point it was 10 - 1, then I stopped counting). That's equivalent to 9 more possessions and possibly 9 more shots, barring turnovers, for KState. KState routinely sent 3 sometimes 4 to the boards, and it paid off. THIS HAPPENS AGAINST ALMOST EVERY OPPONENT EXCEPT THE MOST CONSERVATIVE ONES. If we sent more guys to the boards we would undoubtedly even up or come close to evening the offensive rebound margin and give ourselves 7 - 10 more possessions (and shots hopefully) per game.

    Also, his conservative, control-freak nature comes out with the players. He literally tries to manage the players while they are playing. You can see this best when you are in the crowd at Hilton. He'll yell something at a player - like last week when he told Lucca to give it up to DG. As a former player (small college level but I've always supported the Cyclones and even more so now that I'm older), I can tell you that this is one of the most inhibiting and horrible things a coach can do to you on the court. Plus, he's quick with pulling guys (particularly Boozer or other bench players) after they try to take some iniative and make a play (as if our offense is so good at getting good shots every possession on its own).

    Anyway, I hope things turn around and I'll always pull for the 'Clones. I love how McDermott is running the program, but I really hope he takes a harder look at his offensive sets, rebound policy, control-freak nature, and lack of defensive variety (i.e. we never change up defenses to throw opponents off man-2-3zone-triangle zone-1-3-1 zone, press, etc.). I can only hope.
    Then Bill Self sucks too. As does Roy Williams since they shout things to their players during games as well. In fact, turn on ESPN right now and I guarantee you will see 2 more sucking coaches...



  13. #13
    Starter
    Points: 18,672, Level: 41
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 278
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Chitowncy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    753
    Points
    18,672
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 36

    Re: McDermott's Coaching Strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by CTAClone View Post
    Another McDermott debate again.

    One we don't have the speed to run the floor.
    Two, we can't crash the boards because we'll get beat in transition because we don't have speed.
    Three, some players need to be coached on the court. Others do not. Just because your high school coach said so doesn't mean it's a golden rule. Nice try though.
    Four, most of our players aren't Big 12 talent. nuff' said.
    Five, I'm sick and tired of seeing the same players on the court when they clearly can't get it done consistently. I have more of a beef with that than anything else you can throw around about Mac.
    CTAClone,

    Respectfully disagree with you. Pushing the ball is as much a mindset -an attack oriented approach, if you will - then it is a physical ability. It's not all about speed. Plus, if you read closely, I was criticizing my old high school coach, who would slow it down. My college coach made us speed it up and even though we weren't as talented (in a relative sense to the level of talent on my high school team vs. high school competition) my college team largely overachieved consistently.

    Plus, yanking players for taking open shots does not help a player play better. It's not coaching.

    Well, I'm off to bed, but if you have a reply, I'll gladly read it tomorrow.

    Cheers all and keep your heads up.



  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 58,455, Level: 74
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jahfg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,722
    Points
    58,455
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 19

    Re: McDermott's Coaching Strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by Chitowncy View Post
    CTAClone,

    Respectfully disagree with you. Pushing the ball is as much a mindset -an attack oriented approach, if you will - then it is a physical ability. It's not all about speed. Plus, if you read closely, I was criticizing my old high school coach, who would slow it down. My college coach made us speed it up and even though we weren't as talented (in a relative sense to the level of talent on my high school team vs. high school competition) my college team largely overachieved consistently.

    Plus, yanking players for taking open shots does not help a player play better. It's not coaching.

    Well, I'm off to bed, but if you have a reply, I'll gladly read it tomorrow.

    Cheers all and keep your heads up.

    Pushing the ball is a mentality. It is a mentality that would lead to a lot of bad shots and turnovers for the guys that we put on the court.



  15. #15
    Prospect
    Points: 5,322, Level: 21
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 228
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    6
    Points
    5,322
    Level
    21
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: McDermott's Coaching Strategy

    Jahfg and CTAclone hit the nail on the head: this all boils down to talent, or actually the lack thereof. We've got one, bona fide Big 12 caliber guy, Brackins. The rest of the roster wouldn't crack the top 7 for Kansas or Oklahoma. Until that changes, we're going to have more nights like this one. Johnny and Floyd got the horses here, so it's been done before. McDermott, well, we can only hope.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM