Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

The Hockey Debate

Alright folks, I think its no secret where I stand on this topic, but it would be interesting to hear from the Fanatics. I wrote a few articles on CN a few weeks ago about the possibility of Iowa State making the jump from ACHA to NCAA in Hockey and what it would take to make it happen.

Now lets talk hypothetically for a second, because there are obvious road blocks that will be tough to hurdle, but thats what we are working on right now. How do the folks here think about that? Would you want to see Iowa State make the jump? Would you go to the games? Would it be good for the school?

Just to get things going:
    The Pros:

-College hockey has almost never failed at any university it has been implemented at the division 1 level. It has almost never lost money and most certainly would not here.
    -Iowa has become the center of amateur hockey in the United States with the USHL teams in DM, CR. The best players in junior hockey are right here in the state. The kids who play on those teams are auditioning for colleges, wouldn't it be nice to keep them here?
    -The Iowa Stars are beginning to find their place in Des Moines in pro hockey's AHL and Youth Hockey in Iowa is growing at a rapid pace. Adding a college team is a surefire success.
    -You ask anyone in the college hockey community if they think Iowa State should make the jump and they'll tell you its long overdue and its finally time. With the great tradition the current program has, they are ready for more.
    -Makes Iowa State unique to the rest of the Big IX.
    -Adds another moneymaking sport to a school with decent success in sports. Hockey would be able to start anew with no past tradition of heartbreaking losses and disappointing seasons. The possibilities are endless.

Cons:
    -They would need a Facility, or perhaps play in Des Moines at Wells Fargo. Rennovation of Ames/ISU Ice Arena could be an option as well.
    -Title IX-makes it difficult to start more sports at ISU.

Those aside, this wouldn't happen for several years, but as ISU continues to grow in athletics and expand despite declining enrollment this could be a shot in the arm in both areas. It is almost certain that ISU would be able to put together a team that would be able to compete immediately and give us a program to be proud of among some great successes of Football, Basketball, and Wrestling. While hockey would never be as big as any of those other sports here, it would be something new and something exciting.

So what do you think? All comments are greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Prospect
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 8

Re: The Hockey Debate

I'd love to see it happen and succeed. If we added a women's hockey team, would that clear the Title IX hurdle for it?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 573
    Given: 396

I'm sold. I would have loved for us to have had an NCAA team while I was there!

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Starter
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 11

Division IA hockey requires an on-campus stadium that seats at least 2500 people. Because of ISU's student population, i don't believe they'd be able to play at a level below IA. I don't know where the money would come from to put together a 2500 seat stadium, or where it would go for that matter. You're probably looking at 10 million dollars at least.

Plus, no more selling beer at the games (I don't know if they do that anymore, but they did when i went to ISU hockey games).

From a Title 9 position, there's an easy answer. Include women's hockey as well.

Walk On
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I used to write press releases for ISU Hockey Head Coach, Al Murdoch. A friend's son attend his ISU Hockey camp every year. Murdoch, has been involved with ISU Hockey for 35 years and he, and his son, would be able to recruit some great Hockey talent immediately. ISU DI Hockey would be good in 2-3 years. Would love to see ISU at the Frozen Four in the future.

Strongly agree on including women's hockey to satisfy Title 9 requirements.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

didn't they play hockey in hilton a couple times? that would meet the 2500 for the short term - when is the college hockey season? would it interfere quite a bit with mens & womens basketball and wrestling?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 167

It will be interesting to see what kind of support they get when they play at WF in DSM at the end of the month. If you can hear crickets, I'd say a step up would be a tough battle.

If they get a good showing - that's a different story.

It will also depend on how basketball is doing to some extent. If basketball is rocking, fans may forget about the hockey team that year. In down years, I'd expect hockey to get more attention. That is of course, if the hockey team continues to perform well.

I'm all for ISU taking steps to take any program to the next level. Lets hope under Pollard and his staff - in 5-10 years - all of the sports can say they're better at that point than when Pollard came to Ames. :)

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ce1 View Post
    Division IA hockey requires an on-campus stadium that seats at least 2500 people. Because of ISU's student population, i don't believe they'd be able to play at a level below IA. I don't know where the money would come from to put together a 2500 seat stadium, or where it would go for that matter.
    You hit the nail on the head. I don't know if any of you have seen the campus lately, but as of this year, campus is full. There's basically no land left to build on. There are only two major plots of land still open- the field in between Design and Howe (currently the marching band field) and the spot south of Towers (former IM fields). The band field is already committed- that's where the new Ag Engineering complex is going to go in a few years. That means the marching band is going to get moved, and the only logical place is the Towers field. We've already been told that when we get moved, we will get better facilities and permanent fixtures, so I bet that takes the Towers field out of the running.

Aside from that, there are only three other places where they might even be able to fit an arena. One is in what is currently a huge (and mostly unused) parking lot directly east of Towers. Another is in the Southwest Athletic Complex. (If they put it there, it would really be squeezed in, and that whole complex would have to be paved and upgraded, unless they get rid of the baseball diamond and move it to the proposed Gateway complex on Elwood and Lincoln.) The last (and most far-fetched) place it could go would be next to the soccer stadium, on part of the land currently occupied by the CyRide facility. I know for a fact that CyRide has totally outgrown that building and doesn't have enough room to expand to fit their needs on that site, so they are in the planning stages of building a brand new station north of campus. When that happens, I presume that their old land will be available.

I don't know how plausible any of those ideas are. I think the parking lot is the most feasible, but JP won't put it there by itself because it doesn't make any sense to have one athletic facility standing alone. It's a poor use of space. I could see him building an arena in the Southwest or Gateway complexes, but not until he's ready to bring back the baseball program.

If we think we can do a solid job recruiting and playing well at the NCAA D-I level, then I would love to have a collegiate team at Iowa State. But considering the department's financial situation and the campus' land situation, I'm going to keep enjoying having a highly successful club team.

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

Walk On
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clones_jer View Post
    didn't they play hockey in hilton a couple times? that would meet the 2500 for the short term - when is the college hockey season? would it interfere quite a bit with mens & womens basketball and wrestling?
    They did used to play Hockey in Hilton in the early 80's. Johnny Orr put a stop to it because they put the basketball floor on top of the ice and the barrier wasn't that great and wood floor got a little cold.

I hope it doesn't take too long to get DI Hockey started at ISU if the decision is made to do it.

cyclONEnation
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 43

Women's hockey is pretty huge here in east-central Wisconsin high schools. The girls play hard and are quite competitive. ISU could easily field a women's hockey squad by just recruiting in WI and MN.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I haven't been in the new ice arena, how many does that hold? couldn't it be expanded. As I remember the hockey team was kickin *** and taking names in my day, and had been for quite some time.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tulsa Cyclone View Post
    They did used to play Hockey in Hilton in the early 80's. Johnny Orr put a stop to it because they put the basketball floor on top of the ice and the barrier wasn't that great and wood floor got a little cold.

I hope it doesn't take too long to get DI Hockey started at ISU if the decision is made to do it.
    I swear on your mother they played at least one game in the late 90's in Hilton ...

or maybe its the crack...

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 381
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Division IA hockey requires an on-campus stadium
    I am not for sure but I don't know how accurate that statement is because UNO plays D1 hockey and they play their home games at the Quest Center

Recruit Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Excellent conversation so far folks. Just to answer a few questions:

The Cyclones did play at Hilton and really used to pack the place. I do believe they played there once in the 90s. But in 1975 that was their home ice, I'm not sure when that stopped. However, in our initial conversations, JP isn't willing to add a seventh sport to Hilton's already jam packed schedule. I don't blame him.

The minimum stadium capacity in the NCAA is 2000 for D1 Hockey. Although many are building 5000 min. seating. Where does the money come from? The private donors who are already waiting for the green light to make it happen.

Where would it be? Well the Ames/ISU Ice Arena is on University/City owned property and room was left in case they would need to add on at some point. The current capacity is 1000...1500 roughly stretching it a lot. It is in no way shape or form ready for that level of hockey. It is not required that the arena is on campus. But it is better to have one close by.

As far as the team's upcoming game at Wells Fargo. I suggest anyone who can to try and make it to see what it looks like in that kind of stadium. But to be honest...we don't have the marketing power (financially) to really get the word out in MASSES. So if you can...Jan 27th Wells Fargo - We play Oklahoma University the #3 team in the nation. (we are #6). It is going to be outstanding. Check out www.cyclonehockey.com for new details as they become available.

Thanks. Keep up the great conversation!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 167

Is there any way something can get in the DMR about this double-header with Oklahoma that weekend? The evening news?

What about mentioning it at the next couple home basketball/wrestling games?

All of those should be free advertising I would think. Perhaps some or all are already in the works. :)