Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1

First Bracket

Jerry Palm has the first highly speculative bracket posted.
    Done before the KSU win, it has us a 6 opposite a #3 UNC. If we win the games we should from here on, I think we deserve a 4/5 and a good shot at being around for the second weekend.

Save your nickles and a couple of vacation days. There is no good place for us to go unless Iowa tanks the rest of the season.

CollegeRPI.com - Women

“We’ve got a pretty good football conference, and we’ve got a pretty good conference overall. We’re still walking around with our heads held high and our chest out, about that.” Paul Rhoads

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

Re: First Bracket

Quote Originally Posted by BenEClone View Post
    There is no good place for us to go unless Iowa tanks the rest of the season.
    It could still happen. Iowa is 6-4 in conference play with 8 games left. They have three straight games against RPI top-40 foes followed by a game @ Penn State (who they just beat at home in 3 OT). It could be a rough stretch for them, and I'm not sure the Big 10 is good enough for the committee to take a middle-of-the-pack team. It might be close, and winning at least one of these next three games will help Iowa a lot.

Pro
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 519
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 23

Well, Charlie Creme has had us as a 6 seed for a while on ESPN. A win over AM, and I would say our stock goes up, but we are way early to tell.

1999 NCAA Division I Women's Basketball Regional Semi Finals - Iowa State vs. UCONN at NCAA On Demand

At that time he had Iowa out. I would say they are a solid bubble team, and the next three games should be telling, IU, at MN, and OSU. PS on the road should be tough too, and even play bottom dweller NU at NU for the last game of the season might be a tough one.

All-Star
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 624
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I think if Iowa is a bubble team, they get in. I think the NCAA has to look at it from a money standpoint. Although, having ISU playing at Carver would also be a good money decision. I'm torn, and am going back and forth in my own head. Hopefully Iowa tanks, and ISU wins out--then we'll be playing close to home!

Being too lazy to look it up, does anyone know how many host schools have not played in their own gyms with the current system?

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyco2000 View Post
    Being too lazy to look it up, does anyone know how many host schools have not played in their own gyms with the current system?
    Every host school that makes the tournament gets to play in their own gym (or own host site, like Des Moines) -- it's part of the deal. Are you asking if a host team has NOT qualified for the tournament?

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 98
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I would almost think that the NCAA would want Iowa to lose and might leave them out if on the bottom half of the bubble. They average just over 3,000 fans a game this year. ISU would bring more fans to carver hawkeye than Iowa would!

All-Star
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 624
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    Every host school that makes the tournament gets to play in their own gym (or own host site, like Des Moines) -- it's part of the deal. Are you asking if a host team has NOT qualified for the tournament?
    Yes, I'm asking for the second question. I can't think it happens that often.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyco2000 View Post
    Yes, I'm asking for the second question. I can't think it happens that often.
    Interesting question, so the probability of a team making the tourney could have some influence on their bid to host? I can definitely see that being a factor for the NCAA, especially in women's hoops where it's harder to sell out tourney venues.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleClone View Post
    Interesting question, so the probability of a team making the tourney could have some influence on their bid to host? I can definitely see that being a factor for the NCAA, especially in women's hoops where it's harder to sell out tourney venues.
    Wierder things have happened. NCAA WBB has really been trying to figure out the balance of boosting attendance with fairness of team placement for quite a while now.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

2003 was the first year that predetermined 1st/2nd round sites were used. Prior to that, the top 4 seeds in each region (top 16 nationally) all got to automatically host the 1st/2nd round.

Hosts that DID NOT QUALIFY are in bold:

2003 host schools (14 of 16 qualified): Cincinnati, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, North Carolina State, Old Dominion, Oklahoma, Oregon, Penn State, Purdue, New Mexico, Stanford, Tennessee, Texas Tech.

2004 host schools (12/16): Arizona State, Cal-Santa Barbara, Duke, Fairfield, Florida State, Iowa State, LSU, Minnesota, Montana, New Mexico, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Temple, Tennessee-Chattanooga, Texas, Virginia Tech.

In 2005, the NCAA switched to 8 sites with 8 teams each.
    2005 host schools (7/9): Texas*, Texas Tech*, North Carolina, Maryland, Fresno State, Tennessee, Minnesota, Washington, Connecticut.
    *Texas and Texas Tech were co-hosts for the games in Dallas.

2006 host schools (4/8): DePaul, Colorado, Vanderbilt, Old Dominion, Rider, Arizona, Penn State, Purdue.

2007 host schools (5/8): Texas, Michigan State, Connecticut, Southern California, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, North Carolina State, Stanford.

2008 host schools (7/8): New Mexico, LSU, Fairfield, Maryland, Iowa State, Old Dominion, Stanford, Purdue.

In total, 16 of the 65 predetermined "host teams" did not make the tournament.

2009 sees a return to 16 sites with 4 teams each.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    2003 was the first year that predetermined 1st/2nd round sites were used. Prior to that, the top 4 seeds in each region (top 16 nationally) all got to automatically host the 1st/2nd round.

Hosts that DID NOT QUALIFY are in bold:

2003 host schools (14 of 16 qualified): Cincinnati, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, North Carolina State, Old Dominion, Oklahoma, Oregon, Penn State, Purdue, New Mexico, Stanford, Tennessee, Texas Tech.

2004 host schools (12/16): Arizona State, Cal-Santa Barbara, Duke, Fairfield, Florida State, Iowa State, LSU, Minnesota, Montana, New Mexico, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Temple, Tennessee-Chattanooga, Texas, Virginia Tech.

In 2005, the NCAA switched to 8 sites with 8 teams each.
    2005 host schools (7/9): Texas*, Texas Tech*, North Carolina, Maryland, Fresno State, Tennessee, Minnesota, Washington, Connecticut.
    *Texas and Texas Tech were co-hosts for the games in Dallas.

2006 host schools (4/8): DePaul, Colorado, Vanderbilt, Old Dominion, Rider, Arizona, Penn State, Purdue.

2007 host schools (5/8): Texas, Michigan State, Connecticut, Southern California, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, North Carolina State, Stanford.

2008 host schools (7/8): New Mexico, LSU, Fairfield, Maryland, Iowa State, Old Dominion, Stanford, Purdue.

In total, 16 of the 65 predetermined "host teams" did not make the tournament.

2009 sees a return to 16 sites with 4 teams each.
    Thanks Shawdow. Interesting to note that the teams that are in bold are traditional Tourney teams for the most part and ones that draw attendance - Texas, AZ State, NC State, ISU, MN, CU, WA, Penn ST....

I believe ISU is a host school or up for it for 2010.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,435
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by twistedredbird View Post
    Thanks Shawdow. Interesting to note that the teams that are in bold are traditional Tourney teams for the most part and ones that draw attendance - Texas, AZ State, NC State, ISU, MN, CU, WA, Penn ST....

I believe ISU is a host school or up for it for 2010.
    I believe we're already set as a host school in both 2010 and 2011, and in Ames both times--not Des Moines like last year.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Ames in 2010, with a regional in Kansas City (Sprint Center) and the Final Four in San Antonio.

No 1st/2nd round or regional sites have been announced for 2011 or beyond.