Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 19

Time out momentum breakers - difference in Hilton Magic?

Attending both the men's and women's game yesterday opened my eyes on how the game experience is handled.

During the men's game, there are 2-3 prerecorded songs, used to pick up the crowd during a coaches or tv time out. Everyone knows them. However, they are only used once each during a game (I'm trying to remember the last time they were repeated, and I can't). The "whatcha gonna do, I - S - U" chant (hardly an inspirational cheer, more along the line of a team building exercise, and an easy one to remember for the toddlers in the crowd) is usually done toward the end of the game. There are a bunch of pep band songs that aren't even played any more (what happened to "Don't know the words"?). We have the weather report toward the end of the game, no matter what the score is. We have the Highway Patrol, telling us to buckle up, or don't drive drunk (no beer is served at the game, and basketball isn't a big tailgating sport, also the same message is displayed on the arena display band right above the concourse).

During the women's game, the prerecorded songs are the same. This is my first game attended this year for the women, as opposed to being a multi year season ticket holder for the men's games. There is no weather report, no highway patrol message, and the songs are repeated, depending on the game situation.

What is the consequence of these differences? The women's game has the feel of an old school Hilton Magic type environment! The fans are different as a whole, but I don't think that much different. The women's fans are much less abrasive, and much more family friendly, but I don't think that makes much of a difference. What does make a difference is the handling of the pep band/pre recorded songs. They are used much more effectively in the women's game, and the environment really shows it.

Last night's women's game was very similar to the men's game, in that they were facing a ranked conference opponent, both with a single loss on their record. Both Cyclone teams faced a run by the other team in the last part of the second half. We know the outcomes, both 10 point differentials. Women on top, men on the other side.

Of course the game atmosphere wasn't the sole contributing factor, but it surely didn't hurt in the women's game. I really think someone needs to examine how the game atmosphere is handled, at the men's games. For example, the weather report was played during a critical juncture of the men's game yesterday. It was like putting a wet blanket on the spirit of the crowd at that time, which was pumped up to say the least (no offense intended to Mrs Wix, lovely woman that she is). The "inspirational music" selections had already been played, so they weren't repeated. The fan favorite "whatcha gonna do, I - S - U" chant was done after this, also.

There were more than one person in my section (203) that felt the same way as I did, and I'm sure there were many others throughout Hilton. Winning games can bring back the old Hilton Magic, but so can some well placed crowd incentives. Other stadiums do this differently than the men's games do, as the women's game can vaildate. Repeat the darn songs, and do away with some of the sillier cheers. Bring on the crowd incentives, and the magic will follow. Who knows, maybe a couple wins will, too.

For an opposing coach, a well placed time out can take the crowd out of a game. Why should the Hilton staff do things to help the opposing coach, by helping to take the crowd out of the game?

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Time out momentum breakers - difference in Hilton Magic?

I agree about the weather report thing, put it in the first half, or don't put it in at all. And if the game is close, definitely don't put it in.

You can't die. That would upset the equilibrium in the Cave.
    Warning: Posts contain 98% post-sarcastic content.
    Hoiball

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,573
    Given: 1,335

When they do the weather report, and McLaughling does it, would it kill him to say "Cyclone fans" instead of "Basketball fans?"

Besides, it's winter in Iowa. Do I really not know what the weather is for the drive home? It's pretty close to what it was on the way in. Wow!

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Addict
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 220
    Given: 164

I REALLY miss the "don't know the words" song after the Fight Song.

ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

HOI-BALL!!!

Addict
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal2001 View Post
    Why should the Hilton staff do things to help the opposing coach, by helping to take the crowd out of the game?
    It's not the Hilton staff as much as it is the Marketing department.

Sponsored items (Applebee's, Delta Dental, Gratias Construction, etc.), as annoying as they may be, bring in additional revenue. That's what everything in sports has come to -- the bottom line.

Similarly, ask high school band directors around the state how they feel about the administration at the IGHSAU after this bombshell:

Carlson: No bands at girls' basketball tournament hurts kids, critics say | DesMoinesRegister.com | The Des Moines Register

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 657
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

Good points, many of these things do seem to take the momentum out.

However, for some games the announcement to not drink and drive may actually mean something and you may be on to something else .

The do not drink and drive message does mean something to all the donors who are sitting in Parquet who have been to "stage door". So they have proably have had a few beers anyway. And now we know why they have been sitting at the game!

Prospect
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Go Cyclones Go / Don't Know the Words is hardly played anymore because of the students' creative lyrics.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cynamyn View Post
    Go Cyclones Go / Don't Know the Words is hardly played anymore because of the students' creative lyrics.
    The administration didn't like the fact that that sometimes those lyrics got onto TV. The word was then handed down from on high.

You can't die. That would upset the equilibrium in the Cave.
    Warning: Posts contain 98% post-sarcastic content.
    Hoiball