Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 316
    Given: 484

Iowa Chops

I finally went to my first Iowa Chops game last night and I have to say I was impressed.

I was expecting a couple thousand fans but there were over 8,000 in attendance.

It probably helped that the game was very entertaining. Overtime game with at least 4 fights.

The 2 breaks between the 3 periods goes fast because of the entertainment provided. The baby backs look good. ISU could learn something about putting on a show from these guys. Fire shooting out of the scoreboard to the beat of the music.

Like I said, I'm not a big hockey fan but it was a lot better than I expected. I assume the week night games are not as good.

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 553
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 2

Re: Iowa Chops

It was a pretty good game last night and a good atmosphere. I have been to a lot of their games this year and was surprised by the number of fights last night. They looked like they came out of the gate slow, but sure turned it on in the 2nd period. Can't go wrong with a game that goes to a shootout.

Pro
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    I finally went to my first Iowa Chops game last night and I have to say I was impressed.

I was expecting a couple thousand fans but there were over 8,000 in attendance.

It probably helped that the game was very entertaining. Overtime game with at least 4 fights.

The 2 breaks between the 3 periods goes fast because of the entertainment provided. The baby backs look good. ISU could learn something about putting on a show from these guys. Fire shooting out of the scoreboard to the beat of the music.

Like I said, I'm not a big hockey fan but it was a lot better than I expected. I assume the week night games are not as good.
    I think that was the largest crowd of the year for the Chops and the largest since a 2006 Iowa Stars game...

Hockey is very fun when a lot of people go. It is NOT very fun if it's practically empty, which I've experienced a few times.

As far as fights, the Chops are a very physical team. I do think, however, that they get pressure from management to do fights to try to draw future ticket sales. If they had a crowd that big and there wasn't a single fight, people would be dissapointed.

Glad you had a fun time though...

I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I had a great time at the 1 game I went to this season. I am planning on going again... just as soon as our schedule permits.

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Now if they can just deliver on the goods with those record crowds with a W. This has been the second 7000+ crowd in a week. The Chops lost their big guns to Anaheim in mid-December. They've been playing some good hockey to the level of the competition, and have been having a lot of shootouts and close losses this year. They just can't close the deal.

For those of you who were at the game last night, did you see the shift intensity in the 2nd and 3rd period? The game played in the 3rd period last night is what we have come to see as our brand of hockey.

While the fights were entertaining, I want to assure you that Peoria is a dirty dirty team from a dirty dirty city. Baines got a stick end shoved in his mouth, and the fight between Donally and Reaves started when one of Peoria's players skated back around the goal after the puck was frozen and punched Bodie in the back of the head.

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Broodwich View Post
    Now if they can just deliver on the goods with those record crowds with a W. This has been the second 7000+ crowd in a week. The Chops lost their big guns to Anaheim in mid-December. They've been playing some good hockey to the level of the competition, and have been having a lot of shootouts and close losses this year. They just can't close the deal.

For those of you who were at the game last night, did you see the shift intensity in the 2nd and 3rd period? The game played in the 3rd period last night is what we have come to see as our brand of hockey.

While the fights were entertaining, I want to assure you that Peoria is a dirty dirty team from a dirty dirty city. Baines got a stick end shoved in his mouth, and the fight between Donally and Reaves started when one of Peoria's players skated back around the goal after the puck was frozen and punched Bodie in the back of the head.
    But what about, "Will it play in Peoria?"

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 316
    Given: 484

I know very little about hockey but I noticed this as well. In the 1st period the other team had twice as many shots on goal.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I as well noticed that Peoria was a dirty team. Baines was constantly working the refs letting them know what was going on. Reeves (I think thats who it was) from Peoria seemed like he was just an enforcer...he was in on all the scuffles.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by vanillathrilla View Post
    I as well noticed that Peoria was a dirty team. Baines was constantly working the refs letting them know what was going on. Reeves (I think thats who it was) from Peoria seemed like he was just an enforcer...he was in on all the scuffles.
    Reaves is an a-hole goon. It's funny because you get to know who is going to cause constant problems on the other team as the season goes on.

Did you happen to see that Sasquatch of a goalie Peoria had in Bishop? That guy was 6'7

They're in Peoria tonight. Let's hope they can get a W, 2 pts and stay in the top half of the division.

GOOOOO MEAT!

Pro
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 806
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

Yeah that was pretty sweet to see them turn up the intensity in the 2nd and 3rd period. I would not call myself entirely hockey savvy but man is it fun to go watch games live.

Last edited by mike4cy; 01-31-2009 at 10:56 AM.
    --Luck of the Cyrish--

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Reaves is an a-hole goon. It's funny because you get to know who is going to cause constant problems on the other team as the season goes on.

Did you happen to see that Sasquatch of a goalie Peoria had in Bishop? That guy was 6'7

They're in Peoria tonight. Let's hope they can get a W, 2 pts and stay in the top half of the division.

GOOOOO MEAT!
    Their goalie did a pretty darn good job of keeping the 5-hole shut.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

For those of you who were at the game last night, and who might care...

Iowa is destroying Peoria 4-1 at the end of the 2nd period on the road.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

off topic concerning the title...maybe isu should start selling pork chops on a stick at games that would be really good

Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success.
    Henry Ford