Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 14

Coaching changes

I posted this on CR, and thought it was pertinent to the ongoing discussion here. It's not directed at those who have expressed logical concerns. Instead, it's for those who have actually concluded that firing McDermott is the solution to our problems.

...I agree that recruiting is picking up (and should get better when the new practice facility is completed) and the last thing we need is more coaching turnover. I think some Iowa State fans have been fooled into thinking that coaching transitions should be smooth based on our recent [basketball] history.

As I mentioned in a post several weeks ago, of our last 4 basketball coaching transitions, only one has been "hostile" to the point of damaging the program. Frankly, we've been lucky when you really think about it.

Orr -> Floyd: When Orr retired, I seem to remember Floyd receiving the blessing of Iowa State's basketball "godfathers". It certainly wasn't a hostile coaching change and there wasn't any significant player turnover. (Floyd inherited seniors Hoiberg, Meyer, Michalik.)

Floyd -> Eustachy: Floyd headed to Chicago to replace the Zen master, and his good friend Eustachy was chosen as his replacement. Again, it wasn't a hostile coaching change and I don't recall any significant turnover. (Eustachy inherited Fizer, Rancik, Shirley, Stevie Johnson.)

Eustachy -> Morgan: Eustachy got canned, so this was definitely a hostile coaching change. However, immediate damage was limited (not to say long-term damage wasn't done) as BVDV chose to hire one of Eustachy's assistants/lead recruiter. Again, no significant turnover. (Morgan inherited Sullivan, Homan, Vroman, and retained Stinson, Blalock, and Staple for obvious reasons.)

Morgan -> McDermott: For the first time since at least 1980 (I don't know much about the Nance/Orr transition), Iowa State basketball goes through it's first truly hostile coaching change with immediate and lasting damage done to the program. We all know the story, so there no point in rehashing it. (Mac inherited Clark... Jessan Gray, Chris Caesar, Jeff Bergstrom??? I don't even remember.)

The point is, another HOSTILE coaching change (firing McDermott) would be an absolute disaster for Iowa State basketball, guaranteeing continued scuffling for years to come. So, as Poster X suggests, I'm just going to "relax and hang with Mac." Besides, I think both Nostradamus and the Aztec calendar predicted that the world would end in 2012, so really we don't have TIME for another coaching change.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 74

Re: Coaching changes

Orr didnt like the Floyd hire. People were also upset and the Morgan hire. Good history other than that.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Starter
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    Orr didnt like the Floyd hire. People were also upset and the Morgan hire. Good history other than that.
    One clarification: The main point of my post has to do with the effects of each coaching transition on the program and the teams that were inherited by the incoming coach. As you mentioned, there were many fans who didn't think Morgan was a wise hire (I guess you could say that there was some fan "hostility"), but that doesn't change the fact that he inherited a pretty cushy setup in terms of personnel, etc.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,327
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 10

If I recall Orr very much wanted his long time assistant Jim Hallihan to be his succssor.

Legend
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I don't think McD should be fired right now, but just because it might be hostile shouldn't be a reason not to fire a coach. If it were, Morgan shouldn't have been fired.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. ~ George Carlin

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life:
    The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves Orcs. ~ John Rogers

Walk On
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 240
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Great post. I'm sure there will be debate about the Orr-Floyd transition, but the point is pretty on point.

The great point in the post was this: outside of Orr....Floyd, Eustachy and Morgan had solid teams, NCAA caliber teams (strong seniors, good talent pool, leadership) to inherit. McD had, well, not that somuch. Some may argue that he ran off good talent (Wesley) and other talent didn't like the Morgan divorce and prospect of Mac's system (Carr, Taggart, Degand)- or decided to make the leap to playing in Turkey (Stinson, Blalock). But i agree with the original post that its HARDER THIS TIME. The journey will be tough, but it will be rewarding and i'm absolutely positive Greg will give us a long-term, sustained history in the spirit of Johnny...except Greg is much younger. So longer runway.

Addict
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 126

Quote Originally Posted by psychlone99 View Post
    Eustachy -> Morgan: Eustachy got canned, so this was definitely a hostile coaching change. However, immediate damage was limited (not to say long-term damage wasn't done) as BVDV chose to hire one of Eustachy's assistants/lead recruiter. Again, no significant turnover. (Morgan inherited Sullivan, Homan, Vroman, and retained Stinson, Blalock, and Staple for obvious reasons.)
    Isn't this when Haluska left? I think the long-term effects of that were more than we will ever know.
    If he doesn't leave, Morgan is still our coach
    Maybe we are better off, maybe not

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I would have to agree, for the most part.

The Morgan firing was a brutal coaching change, about as bad as it could be, where the other coaching changes were really not that bad. LE's firing was not as bad as it could have been, because LE knew he had problems, he didn't put up a kicking fight like WM (hiring WM helped too).

Addict
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 743
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 638

Quote Originally Posted by CyclonesRule View Post
    If I recall Orr very much wanted his long time assistant Jim Hallihan to be his succssor.
    lots of people wanted Hallihan to take over.

Are you a member?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,327
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 10

If we didn't hire Morgan we wouldn't have gotten Stinson or Blalock as he was their recruiter. but I can see where you are coming from. McDermott basically started with no experience players besides Rashon Clark. Where as all the other coaches had some talent.

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by CloneAggie View Post
    I don't think McD should be fired right now, but just because it might be hostile shouldn't be a reason not to fire a coach. If it were, Morgan shouldn't have been fired.
    There is a difference between Morgan and McD. Not many liked Morgan and there was a bit of a scandal at the end, which ISU would have likely suffered even more NCAA sanctions if they hadn't fired Morgan.

For record alone Morgan would not have been fired so it's hard to make a argument for firing McD this season.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 74

Quote Originally Posted by wartknight View Post
    Isn't this when Haluska left? I think the long-term effects of that were more than we will ever know.
    If he doesn't leave, Morgan is still our coach
    Maybe we are better off, maybe not
    You can play the ifs all day long. If Mike Taylor doesnt get in trouble, and plays last year then Wes could still be on this team and we would be going to the NCAA tourny.

But yes Mac did have a lot less to work with than the others.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Starter
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyclonesRule View Post
    As I recall, the big whig that Floyd had in his corner was Gary Thompson. Not only did he support Floyd, but I believe he was actively involved in the hiring.

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by jaretac View Post
    The Morgan firing was a brutal coaching change, about as bad as it could be, where the other coaching changes were really not that bad.
    The firing of Snyder at Mizzou was an equally bad firing. Nevertheless, Missouri has turned things around alot quicker than has Iowa State.

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein
    "If your worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on" Lance Armstrong
    "Dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in." Paris Hilton
    "Money is one of the greatest instruments of freedom ever invented by man." F.A. Hayek

All-Star
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,067
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by alaskaguy View Post
    The firing of Snyder at Mizzou was an equally bad firing. Nevertheless, Missouri has turned things around alot quicker than has Iowa State.
    Snyder was an absolutely awful coach...good recruiter...horrible, horrible coach...that guy could do less with more than about anyone out there...