Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

The Unforgettable NCAA Race

I have been on the scene at Iowa State athletics for almost 60 years, and have seen all of the good and the bad. But I will never forget sitting at the finish line during the NCAA finals last spring at Drake. Lisa Koll was just beginning to make a name for herself, and she lined up in a field of 24 top runners from throughout the country for the 10,000 meters. In the second lap, she quietly pulled ahead of the field. She extended her lead constantly, and by the finish she had lapped all but two runners. From the middle of the race on, the crowd (about 10,000 that night), rose to its feet and roared every time she passed us. At the end, she calmly passed the finish line and never showed a sign of fatigue while waving to the crowd. Folks, it was one of the proudest moments in Iowa State history.

What made it the most fun for me was a group of three Iowa fans sitting just in front of me with a camcorder. There were three Hawkeyes in that race, so I suppose those folks were parents. Anyway, they yelled their heads off at the start of the race, and I stood up and screamed, "Run those Hawkeyes into the ground Lisa." Lots of folks around me gave a cheer... and Lisa proceeded to run those Hawkeyes into the ground. Oh, and those Iowa fans stood up and took their camcorder to another seat away from me.

Lisa Koll, the Iowa State graduate and Vet Med student now, is truly Marvel Woman. The Olympics are the limit.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 6

Re: The Unforgettable NCAA Race

Quote Originally Posted by Duff View Post
    I have been on the scene at Iowa State athletics for almost 60 years, and have seen all of the good and the bad. But I will never forget sitting at the finish line during the NCAA finals last spring at Drake. Lisa Koll was just beginning to make a name for herself, and she lined up in a field of 24 top runners from throughout the country for the 10,000 meters. In the second lap, she quietly pulled ahead of the field. She extended her lead constantly, and by the finish she had lapped all but two runners. From the middle of the race on, the crowd (about 10,000 that night), rose to its feet and roared every time she passed us. At the end, she calmly passed the finish line and never showed a sign of fatigue while waving to the crowd. Folks, it was one of the proudest moments in Iowa State history.

What made it the most fun for me was a group of three Iowa fans sitting just in front of me with a camcorder. There were three Hawkeyes in that race, so I suppose those folks were parents. Anyway, they yelled their heads off at the start of the race, and I stood up and screamed, "Run those Hawkeyes into the ground Lisa." Lots of folks around me gave a cheer... and Lisa proceeded to run those Hawkeyes into the ground. Oh, and those Iowa fans stood up and took their camcorder to another seat away from me.

Lisa Koll, the Iowa State graduate and Vet Med student now, is truly Marvel Woman. The Olympics are the limit.
    Just for fun, or were they actually doing something that made you be a ******?

Anyways, Koll was definitely a great story this summer. Did the entire state of Iowa proud during a tough time.

The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: The Unforgettable NCAA Race

What they were doing was yelling their fool heads off for their Hawkeyes and against Koll. I just handed them their heads on a platter and enjoyed the Cyclone moment.