Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Especially interesting take on the 'Clones. I am a little surprised there was no mention of an ISU/Nebraska rivalry (although it's just recently been renewed with increased competition).

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...s/14820068.htm

Starter
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 14
    I don't understand why people think this is a rivalry. Rivalries have to be two-sided. Yeah, ISU fans get jacked up for it, but it's pretty one-sided at this point. Nebraska's rival is OU, hands down, no questions asked.

We're going to have to beat them a lot in the next 10 years or so to turn it into any sort of rivalry.

Pro
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,328
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 15
    It's kinda like how they didn't mention Baylor with any rivals. This is because they are a perrenial doormat. Now I'm not saying that we are a doormat at this point by any means, but after years and years of being a doormat, people just don't get that excited about playing us. I do think that we have some rivalries that are growing, but will never have a conference rivalry bigger than what we have in state.

All-Star
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 440
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4
    The floating football schedule precludes meaningful rivalries between north and south division teams. Nebraskans lament the loss of the OU rivalry and have proposed to modify the schedule to allow an annual game, though, OU would have spanked them badly in recent years. CU is always simmering for NU - largely because the media love to bash the other team's fans. No other Big XII school has a non-conference rivalry as intense as ISU/UI which certainly takes the edge off of any inconference opportunities. Anyone close to CU/CSU might differ. A rivalry requires parity in at least one major sport. Nebraska media downplays a rivalry with ISU on account, I think, of fearing a split in the Omaha market should they acknowledge ISU as a worth opponent. NU would like to think itself a rival for Texas - competing head to head for dominance in all sports. ISU is recently asserting itself, again, in olympic sports, but lags in CC and track and field.

“We’ve got a pretty good football conference, and we’ve got a pretty good conference overall. We’re still walking around with our heads held high and our chest out, about that.” Paul Rhoads

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0
    There just aren't too many good choices for ISU as far as conference rivalries go. ISU and Nebraska have been so far apart when it comes to football success that it hurt any potential rivalry there. It's close to a rivalry but would ISU rank any higher than 4th in most Husker fans' minds?

There is the trophy with Mizzou but again they're so focused on their rivalry with KU and Illinois to a lesser degree there isn't room for anyone else. They would probably rank Nebraska over ISU as well. In fact, it seems like everyone in the north considers Nebraska a rival just because it's always fun when you beat them.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 94.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 315
    Given: 259

Angry

As far as Nebraska-OU goes, the rivalry is not every year (just half the time.) Nebraska has not done that well in the last fiv years in the game. I would have said NE-Colorado was closer to the rivalry, especially considering how many time Colorado has won the North. For awhile, it looked like K-State might have been the one for NE.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 948
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 45
    As has been said, rivalries are harder between the divisions because of the rotating schedule. It just isn't the same. The article was pretty football centric. In basketball I think there is a lot of passion which wasn't covered. When we beat down NU again this year they will start to get really irritable which will raise the rivalry status. And then when we beat them in Lincoln they'll really get mad. The increasing parity in football may not cause huge rivalries, but it will make every game more meaningful for fans of all teams which I think is even better.

Recruit
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 336
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 17
    I would consider the ISU-KU series in basketball to be a rivalry.

They just hate it whenever we beat them, especially in Lawrence&#33; [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 313
    Given: 95
    totally agree with you on the KU bball rivalry. Reminds me of that final Big 8 championship with Willoughby, Holloway, Kato, etc. There have been some classic games played between us and KU since the early 90s, with the top being our OT win in Lawerence in 05. I remember listening to that on the radio as my brother had districts in wrestling that day. One of the best finishes to an ISU game ever. As far as football, i think if we stay competitive with Nebraska the next couple year, and god forbid take one in Lincoln, they will have to recognize us as a key rival. I think ditching the Telephone Trophy and starting one with NU (a giant ear of corn? lol) would be a great idea, and could be a big step in boosting our programs prestige nationally.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.