Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34

Thread: Flying Help

  1. #1
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 71,897, Level: 83
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,253
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyfan964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 blocks from the Jack
    Posts
    4,547
    Points
    71,897
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 158

    Flying Help

    Going to be taking a trip here in the next few days and was looking for some advice. Haven't been on a plane in a couple of years and looking for some airport advice. I've also never flown with a laptop before. Do i just leave it in my carry-on bag. Can I have a separate carry on for it, or does that constitute two carry-ons? I've heard everything about small sized liquid containers.... Anything else I should be made aware of? Any help is appreciated.


    Now that MBB is back, do we still have to pretend that WBB matters?

    -acgclone

  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 27,234, Level: 50
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cyco2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,178
    Points
    27,234
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

    Re: Flying Help

    Quote Originally Posted by cyfan964 View Post
    Going to be taking a trip here in the next few days and was looking for some advice. Haven't been on a plane in a couple of years and looking for some airport advice. I've also never flown with a laptop before. Do i just leave it in my carry-on bag. Can I have a separate carry on for it, or does that constitute two carry-ons? I've heard everything about small sized liquid containers.... Anything else I should be made aware of? Any help is appreciated.
    Word of advice--make sure your driver's license is up to date!

    Both my wife and I forgot to renew our licenses. They did nothing out of Minneapolis, but made us go through the thorough search in Charlotte on the way back. Wasn't too bad, but we made sure our licenses were up to date when we got back!



  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 76,419, Level: 85
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    4429 mcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wall Street
    Posts
    4,402
    Points
    76,419
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Flying Help

    lapper can go in your carry on..you have to take it out before your bag go through xray

    You get a carry on plus one..so you can have a small suitcase and a computer case.

    Make sure to have all your liquids out and some easy slip on/off shoes (you have to take your shoes off when walking through the metal detector)...DSM is very easy to fly out of you'll look like a pro on your way back!


    Last edited by 4429 mcc; 01-29-2009 at 04:51 PM.

  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 146,976, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,187
    Points
    146,976
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Flying Help

    A laptop bag can count as your "personal item" in addition to a larger carry-on item. You have to take the laptop out of the bag at security and send it through the x-ray machine by itself.



  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 76,419, Level: 85
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    4429 mcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wall Street
    Posts
    4,402
    Points
    76,419
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Flying Help

    Also if your going on a short trip...think about not checking your small bag (if only taking one) on the regional jets they end up under the plane anyway. This way you wont have to pay the extra 15 dollar checked bag fee. Again remember to take travel size liquids 3oz or under.



  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 71,897, Level: 83
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,253
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyfan964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 blocks from the Jack
    Posts
    4,547
    Points
    71,897
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 158

    Re: Flying Help

    Thanks for the help.


    Now that MBB is back, do we still have to pretend that WBB matters?

    -acgclone

  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 33,855, Level: 56
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 395
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    ISU4ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,587
    Points
    33,855
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 10

    Re: Flying Help

    Check out the TSA website for all the information you need.

    TSA: Prohibited Items



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 864,288, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    55,872
    Points
    864,288
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,816
    Given: 1,524

    Re: Flying Help

    Quote Originally Posted by cyfan964 View Post
    Going to be taking a trip here in the next few days and was looking for some advice. Haven't been on a plane in a couple of years and looking for some airport advice. I've also never flown with a laptop before. Do i just leave it in my carry-on bag. Can I have a separate carry on for it, or does that constitute two carry-ons? I've heard everything about small sized liquid containers.... Anything else I should be made aware of? Any help is appreciated.
    Laptop is your "personal item," and doesn't have to be in your carry-on. It's a separate piece of luggage, so you'd be OK.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  9. #9
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 71,897, Level: 83
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,253
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyfan964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 blocks from the Jack
    Posts
    4,547
    Points
    71,897
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 158

    Re: Flying Help

    Has anyone ever taken a tennis racket as carry on before? It isn't listed as prohibited on the TSA web site, but most other athletic equipment is.


    Now that MBB is back, do we still have to pretend that WBB matters?

    -acgclone

  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 80,866, Level: 88
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,084
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jumbopackage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,471
    Points
    80,866
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 9

    Re: Flying Help

    Here's what I do:
    wear pants with easily accessible pockets (cargo pants etc), no belt, and easy to get on and off shoes. Put EVERYTHING in your carry on/laptop bag prior to getting to security except for a photo ID (drivers license) and your boarding pass. Keep all your liquids/gels in the plastic bag, and in an external pocket that's easy to access on your carry on.

    Keep the laptop as easily accessible as possible as well. When you get to the checkpoint, put all the small items, as well as your shoes into one tub, your laptop in a separate tub by itself (sometimes they don't make you do this, sometimes they do). All you need once you get to the checkpoint is your boarding pass, so you can put your ID back into your pocket, or into the tub with the small items.

    Put your shoes through first so you can put them back on while the rest of your stuff is getting scanned. That's about it.

    I don't know about Tennis rackets. I haven't seen anyone carrying one around in a while, but I don't think it would be a huge deal either way. Worse comes to worse, ask the people at the airline counter at check-in. What you DON'T want to do is have to shuffle back and forth to ticketing with stuff.

    Good luck! And there will always be someone there who is worse than you at the whole thing too.


    "Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

  11. #11
    square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Points: 497,923, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Angie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    17,644
    Points
    497,923
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 756
    Given: 3,036

    Re: Flying Help

    Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post
    Here's what I do:
    wear pants with easily accessible pockets (cargo pants etc), no belt, and easy to get on and off shoes. Put EVERYTHING in your carry on/laptop bag prior to getting to security except for a photo ID (drivers license) and your boarding pass. Keep all your liquids/gels in the plastic bag, and in an external pocket that's easy to access on your carry on.

    Keep the laptop as easily accessible as possible as well. When you get to the checkpoint, put all the small items, as well as your shoes into one tub, your laptop in a separate tub by itself (sometimes they don't make you do this, sometimes they do). All you need once you get to the checkpoint is your boarding pass, so you can put your ID back into your pocket, or into the tub with the small items.

    Put your shoes through first so you can put them back on while the rest of your stuff is getting scanned. That's about it.

    I don't know about Tennis rackets. I haven't seen anyone carrying one around in a while, but I don't think it would be a huge deal either way. Worse comes to worse, ask the people at the airline counter at check-in. What you DON'T want to do is have to shuffle back and forth to ticketing with stuff.

    Good luck! And there will always be someone there who is worse than you at the whole thing too.
    This is what I do, too - you'll probably want to put your wallet in that first tub with your shoes so you're not waiting for that to come through, too. Make sure to put any coats/jackets/sweaters in a tub, too.

    I haven't had an airport lately that doesn't make me take out my laptop and put it in a tub. It's a huge pain in the butt.


    M 7/09

  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 80,866, Level: 88
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,084
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jumbopackage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,471
    Points
    80,866
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 9

    Re: Flying Help

    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is what I do, too - you'll probably want to put your wallet in that first tub with your shoes so you're not waiting for that to come through, too. Make sure to put any coats/jackets/sweaters in a tub, too.

    I haven't had an airport lately that doesn't make me take out my laptop and put it in a tub. It's a huge pain in the butt.
    I meant in a tub all by its lonesome as opposed to in a tub with other stuff.. Unless you have one of those high speed laptop bags designed for TSA checkpoints.


    "Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 92,015, Level: 94
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 1,135
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    4,161
    Points
    92,015
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 66

    Re: Flying Help

    Take an egg salad and extra red onion sandwich with you in a baggie. Eat it on the plane. This has happened to me many, many times. Love it. Smells great.


    Quote Originally Posted by JonDMiller View Post

    Dosry, You know what? I think I'll agree with you :)

    Quote Originally Posted by bos
    You sir are a legend.

  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 174,460, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    GeronimusClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,249
    Points
    174,460
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Flying Help

    Quote Originally Posted by cyfan964 View Post
    Has anyone ever taken a tennis racket as carry on before? It isn't listed as prohibited on the TSA web site, but most other athletic equipment is.
    He didn't seem to have a problem.


    Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

    Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

  15. #15
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 71,897, Level: 83
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,253
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyfan964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 blocks from the Jack
    Posts
    4,547
    Points
    71,897
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 158

    Re: Flying Help

    Quote Originally Posted by GeronimusClone View Post
    He didn't seem to have a problem.
    You have no idea how much I love those commercials.

    "I get it.... I QUIT, but I get it!"


    Now that MBB is back, do we still have to pretend that WBB matters?

    -acgclone

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM