Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1

"MVC Style of Play"

I continue to hear people say, "this MVC style of play doesn't work in the Big 12"...then site people like Dana Altman, and his time at Kansas State, or Barry Collier (out of the Horizon League) and his time at Nebraska (not MVC, but mid-major), and so on, and so on...

Do people really think that Collier and Altman, etc...didn't win at Kansas State and Nebraska because of their "MVC style of play", or mid-major slow it down offense? I sure hope not...the fact is that they didn't win because they COULDN'T GET THE TALENT neccesary to win...

...and that is why we haven't won so far under McDermott...not because of his "MVC style of play"...the talent appears to be on the upswing here, and our results should improve as a result of it...

The question on these MVC or mid-major coaches coming into the Big 12, is whether or not they can bring in the talent...and it appears we have some pretty good recruits coming in (I know, you've heard it before, but it certainly does appear that way)...once again, our problem right now is talent, not our "MVC style of play".

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: "MVC Style of Play"

It'll work. Just wait...........................harrison...................................colvin .......................with brackins........

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 306
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clone_12 View Post
    I continue to hear people say, "this MVC style of play doesn't work in the Big 12"...then site people like Dana Altman, and his time at Kansas State, or Barry Collier (out of the Horizon League) and his time at Nebraska (not MVC, but mid-major), and so on, and so on...

Do people really think that Collier and Altman, etc...didn't win at Kansas State and Nebraska because of their "MVC style of play", or mid-major slow it down offense? I sure hope not...the fact is that they didn't win because they COULDN'T GET THE TALENT neccesary to win...

...and that is why we haven't won so far under McDermott...not because of his "MVC style of play"...the talent appears to be on the upswing here, and our results should improve as a result of it...

The question on these MVC or mid-major coaches coming into the Big 12, is whether or not they can bring in the talent...and it appears we have some pretty good recruits coming in (I know, you've heard it before, but it certainly does appear that way)...once again, our problem right now is talent, not our "MVC style of play".
    Exactly...Basketball is Basketball....from preschool to NBA.

All-Star
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 6

Not disagreeing with you too much, but didn't those systems work at those mid-major with the lesser talent? So, I guess I don't get this argument.

NHL teams need to be added to the favorite teams section.

Legend
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

The main difference in the mid majors and the major programs is that the mid major schools recruit "project" players and players they hope will blossom into decent players by the time they are upperclassmen. At the major college level you have to be able to add impact players every year. One of the things that really screams "MVC Style" to some fans was last years large recruiting class, most of which were guys we were hoping to develop into good players and no real impact players.

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,094
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Swanson10 View Post
    Not disagreeing with you too much, but didn't those systems work at those mid-major with the lesser talent? So, I guess I don't get this argument.
    Yeah, the systems worked at their mid-majors because they had better talent than the other mid-majors....when they jumped to the Big 12, they lost because they couldn't bring in the talent necessary to win, not because of their "MVC style of play".

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,472
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 215
    Given: 50

As some have said, the problem isn't "MVC style" as much as "MVC players."

“Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary.”

Martin Luther King Jr.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    The main difference in the mid majors and the major programs is that the mid major schools recruit "project" players and players they hope will blossom into decent players by the time they are upperclassmen. At the major college level you have to be able to add impact players every year. One of the things that really screams "MVC Style" to some fans was last years large recruiting class, most of which were guys we were hoping to develop into good players and no real impact players.
    This is basically agreeing with my point...talent wins out.

I'd ask those same people if they believe Colvin and Gilstrap are "projects"...

Last edited by Clone_12; 01-29-2009 at 03:55 PM.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Fair enough...I'd ask those same people if they believe Colvin and Gilstrap are "projects"...
    Colvin no, Gilstrap is another story because he has one year. The thing is, players like Colvin should not be an every other year type thing. There are 100 top 100 players every year. We should be getting one or two EVERY YEAR.

Check out my blog

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

This is basically agreeing with my point...talent wins out.

Yeah, we have been agreeing alot lately... The thing is, could the "slow down style" have a negative impact on the recruiting?

Check out my blog

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Colvin no, Gilstrap is another story because he has one year. The thing is, players like Colvin should not be an every other year type thing. There are 100 top 100 players every year. We should be getting one or two EVERY YEAR.
    I agree on that...my point in my initial post in this thread was that we aren't winning because we lack to talent to win right now, not because of our "MVC style of play"...

...and IF we can get enough talent in here. We will win...

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Yeah, we have been agreeing alot lately... The thing is, could the "slow down style" have a negative impact on the recruiting?
    Yeah, I don't know what's up with that?...I'm sure there are players out there that would rather play up-tempo ball...but I personally believe, there is enough talent out there to go around...I just hope we can get our hands on it.

Recruit
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

"Yeah, we have been agreeing alot lately... The thing is, could the "slow down style" have a negative impact on the recruiting? "

I beleive this style of play has a huge impact on star recruits - the kids all want to play in the NBA, and know they will not get there by leading their .500 college team in scoring at 12 or 13 points per game.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,477
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36

Why on earth would you assume that? Its a great goal, but the reality is there are around 70 major conference teams. Even if the top 100 were split evenly between those teams, we'd get 1.5 each year. Once you take into account that the top teams get multiple guys, at our current state, if we start to get 1 a year, we'd be in great shape.

I think we've had the talent to compete, it just keeps leaving. Last year, if we had had Taylor and a healthy Wes, we'd have been much better. This year, with Wes we likely beat Hawaii, Drake, SDSU, Colorado and maybe even Texas and Kansas.

Where I think GMAC needs to be judged is whether or not he keeps losing these guys for bad reasons. Going to the NBA wouldn't be a bad reason. However, if we lose more guys to transfers (Brackins, Garett, Hamilton, Boozer, Eik, Steiger, Buckley), he probably gets on the hotseat.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,477
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneTJS View Post
    "Yeah, we have been agreeing alot lately... The thing is, could the "slow down style" have a negative impact on the recruiting? "

I beleive this style of play has a huge impact on star recruits - the kids all want to play in the NBA, and know they will not get there by leading their .500 college team in scoring at 12 or 13 points per game.
    We don't play a slow style of ball. I don't know where people get this idea. Compared to Floyd or the non-Tinsley era Eustachy teams, we play at a breakneck pace.