Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

McDermott: it's all about recruiting

Since the other thread got out of control here's a new one. it comes down recruiting.

Year 1: McD hired in April after recruiting season over. No chance to recruit anyone but he pulled a couple rabbits out of the hat w/ WJ and Taylor. Good job.

you couldn't predict that both of these guys would leave early.

Year 2: a star in Brackins and 2 good players in DG and Lucca. Boozer a fill in. we'd take 3 players of this caliber every year. Good job.

again, who could predict that the NCAA would retroactively enforce a ridiculous rule against Lucca. really hurt ISU last yr.

Year 3: w/ the exception of a sleeper in Hamilton this class is a total bust. Eikmaier, Buckley, and Mann are not D1 players. they would be playing and making an impact if they were. and Vanderbeken is a marginal bench player. even if WJ stays this year McD totally missed at guard in this class when he needed at least 2 impact players. Bad job.

I think Colvin and Gilstrap will be major contributors (Colvin looked great in that ESPN game). If we had two athletic players w/ perimeter skills in this class no one would be complaining about McDermott. I think Brackins will wait until after next year to turn pro. So McDermott has 1 year w/ Brackins, DG, Lucca, Colvin, Gilstrap, and Hamilton to turn this thing around. Maybe he's got an outside shot of signing Barnes if he does, unless Barnes commits to someone else in the Nov signing period.

Bottomline: after 2 good recruiting classes McDermott layed an egg in year 3. And I'm sure he's figured that out. Don't expect him in the future to tie up scholarships w/ early commitments from a skinny, small town, heave it from the hip guard or a guard who can't shoot a lick. This is another throw away year until the right players arrive. And I think McDermott will bring them in.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 332
    Given: 63

Re: McDermott: it's all about recruiting

Eikmaier, Buckley, and Mann are not D1 players.
    Are you kidding me? They are halfway through their true frosh seasons and they are not D1 players? Get a clue.

Addict
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 570
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by snowcraig2.0 View Post
    Are you kidding me? They are halfway through their true frosh seasons and they are not D1 players? Get a clue.
    I agree. It's too early to judge the careers of guys who have not even finished their first years in the program.

I wouldn't classify his third-year class a bust. Disappointing, maybe. Depends on your expectations. Late-blooming? Don't know yet.

I do think he made a mistake in bringing in 7 guys last year, though.

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 70.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 990
    Given: 82

20 games into their first season is a little early to be throwing out a word like "bust."

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Pro
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 545
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 6

I hope there will be a day when we don't label any true freshman not better than "solid" as a bust. If a guy is "solid" as a freshman, then they have automatically exceeded my expectations (e.g. Hamilton).

Not everyone is a Craig Brackins, nor should they have to be.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 424
    Given: 213

I would add that Mcdermott recruited the best high school guard he ever recruited in April of Year 1 when he signed Dodie Dunson.

MT, WJ, and DD may actually be his best recruiting class.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Eik will be deadly shooter in big 12 once he gets bigger and is confedent in his shots...Mann, well i see man being a Cory Johnson in playing time in 2 years...

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

All-Star
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 711
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20

Victor Alexander averaged 1.7 ppg as a freshman and 19.9 ppg as a sophomore. Very difficult to predict who will improve and who won't.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 330
    Given: 265

It is in the end all about scoring. For a team that has umpteen good defenders by masse, we still need someone who can shoot with a hand in their face. When someone develops that capability, they can start on our team.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70

Quote Originally Posted by CyCy View Post
    Victor Alexander averaged 1.7 ppg as a freshman and 19.9 ppg as a sophomore. Very difficult to predict who will improve and who won't.
    Lafester Rhodes averaged 2.8 ppg as a Junior, and 22.5 as a Senior!!

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I get a little tired for hearing all the talk about MC D is not cutting it. Get off his back and give him two more years. Everyone is in such a hurry to pull the rope these days. I totally agree with what you are saying, its gets old hearing the repetitive thing of we lose a game and its to the chopping block.

James

Addict
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 54

Quote Originally Posted by clonehome View Post
    again, who could predict that the NCAA would retroactively enforce a ridiculous rule against Lucca. really hurt ISU last yr.
    How were we hurt? The real Lucca (vs. the hyped Lucca) has lots of limitations.

Recruit
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 481
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

In today's game your first year players have to contribute. if you are lucky enough to sign a star like Brackins he's going to leave early. Kids are also fickle these days so losing a player like Wesley happens. Let's face it, as much as this team struggles if any of the freshman guards were players they would be getting minutes in big 12 play. Have you seen how bad we are offensively when Garrett leaves the floor? Notice that we don't replace him w/ Buckley. We hope that we can get by w/ Petie at point guard and Haluska at the 2. It's ridiculous. And god forbid that Garrett and Brackins both leave the floor at the same time, which happens on occasion.

If Colvin and Gilstrap are players you won't see Buckley and Eikmaier on the floor much next year. We got used to winning from 83 - 05 w/ guards like Ronnie Harris, Jeff Hornacek, Ronnie Virgil, Gary Thompkins, Elmer Robinson, Terry Woods, Justus Thigpen, Derek Hayes, Hoiberg (if he qualifies as a 3rd guard), Dedric Willoughby, Jacy Holloway, Tinsley, Horton, Sullivan, Stinson and Blalock. Aside from Holloway, name one player in that group who wasn't a contributor right out of the box? I just don't see it in this year's class.

Recruit
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 481
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

By the way, I'm not on McDermott's back. He missed in a critical recruiting class after two good ones, and I think he'll be three out of four w/ next year's class. We don't know how Colvin and Gilstap will do but I have a feeling that they will be players. And next year we will be competitive. I look for good thinks ahead. Lesson learned this year.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clonehome View Post
    Since the other thread got out of control here's a new one. it comes down recruiting.

Year 1: McD hired in April after recruiting season over. No chance to recruit anyone but he pulled a couple rabbits out of the hat w/ WJ and Taylor. Good job.

you couldn't predict that both of these guys would leave early.

Year 2: a star in Brackins and 2 good players in DG and Lucca. Boozer a fill in. we'd take 3 players of this caliber every year. Good job.

Year 3: w/ the exception of a sleeper in Hamilton this class is a total bust. Eikmaier, Buckley, and Mann are not D1 players. they would be playing and making an impact if they were. and Vanderbeken is a marginal bench player. even if WJ stays this year McD totally missed at guard in this class when he needed at least 2 impact players. Bad job.

I think Colvin and Gilstrap will be major contributors (Colvin looked great in that ESPN game). If we had two athletic players w/ perimeter skills in this class no one would be complaining about McDermott. I think Brackins will wait until after next year to turn pro. So McDermott has 1 year w/ Brackins, DG, Lucca, Colvin, Gilstrap, and Hamilton to turn this thing around. Maybe he's got an outside shot of signing Barnes if he does, unless Barnes commits to someone else in the Nov signing period.

Bottomline: after 2 good recruiting classes McDermott layed an egg in year 3. And I'm sure he's figured that out. Don't expect him in the future to tie up scholarships w/ early commitments from a skinny, small town, heave it from the hip guard or a guard who can't shoot a lick. This is another throw away year until the right players arrive. And I think McDermott will bring them in.

The person who told you to "Get a clue" is exactly right. If you think that a player is a bust if they don't make an impact half-way through their freshman year, then you're an idiot. I just shake my head at people like you who hide behind anonymous message boards and publicly refer to players as "busts".

Last edited by cloneaholic; 01-29-2009 at 04:10 PM.