Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Just Win Baby
    Points: 299,761, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clones85''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,339
    Points
    299,761
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

    The Kobe Bryant effect

    I think that is what is currently going on with our basketball team. 3 or 4 years ago, Kobe dropped 81 in a game and was scoring over 40 every night. He was doing this because he had zero to little help around him and he felt that he needed to take over games in order to give his team a chance to win. His teammates would get complacent and watch in amazement as he took over. The problem was that when he needed them to step up, they weren't ready. When he got doubled they didn't hit the open shot

    Right now that is what appears to be happening with our basketball team. Brackins is playing GREAT basketball right now and our players are getting used to him taking over. Rather than reacting and thinking next about what THEY need to do, they are watching what HE is going to do. I think they should feed the ball into him every time down the court as well, but they also need to know that when they have an oppurtunity to do something, they have to step up. We are a much better team with Craig scoring 20 points and everyone else scoring 6 to 15 than we are with him scoring 50% of our points.



  2. #2
    Starter
    Points: 14,268, Level: 36
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 582
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    684
    Points
    14,268
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The Kobe Bryant effect

    A++++ good thread would read again


    have you ever got caught outside In a strong rainfall? Yes or NO. If it"s yes, then you might half felt the pane of hard(tought) rain on you head. If it hurt"s then it"s tough. Yes or no. Okay I'm right and you know it.

    So alothough you attempt"ed to say you didn"t understnad, now you do. Fair enough?

  3. #3
    Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    3,273
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The Kobe Bryant effect

    Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    I think that is what is currently going on with our basketball team. 3 or 4 years ago, Kobe dropped 81 in a game and was scoring over 40 every night. He was doing this because he had zero to little help around him and he felt that he needed to take over games in order to give his team a chance to win. His teammates would get complacent and watch in amazement as he took over. The problem was that when he needed them to step up, they weren't ready. When he got doubled they didn't hit the open shot

    Right now that is what appears to be happening with our basketball team. Brackins is playing GREAT basketball right now and our players are getting used to him taking over. Rather than reacting and thinking next about what THEY need to do, they are watching what HE is going to do. I think they should feed the ball into him every time down the court as well, but they also need to know that when they have an oppurtunity to do something, they have to step up. We are a much better team with Craig scoring 20 points and everyone else scoring 6 to 15 than we are with him scoring 50% of our points.

    I have a lot of issues with the way Brackins played last night. Too many turnovers and not enough points in the paint. Wasn't able to create enough opportunities to get to the foul line. Yes he scored most of our points, but he didn't play great at all.

    KU was a different story, but I won't sit here and say how great Craig has been playing. IMO he's had two great games (UNI and KU). The rest have been on par or below to a "great" player...


    I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...

  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 76,419, Level: 85
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    4429 mcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wall Street
    Posts
    4,402
    Points
    76,419
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: The Kobe Bryant effect

    So what happens when we lose Kobe?



  5. #5
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 13,184, Level: 34
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 166
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Icky_Mettle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    309
    Points
    13,184
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

    Re: The Kobe Bryant effect

    You shouldn't compare Brackins to Kobe the day after Craig was in the state of Colorado.



  6. #6
    Just Win Baby
    Points: 299,761, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clones85''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,339
    Points
    299,761
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

    Re: The Kobe Bryant effect

    Quote Originally Posted by Icky_Mettle View Post
    You shouldn't compare Brackins to Kobe the day after Craig was in the state of Colorado.
    Good point!

    Just like the Lakers, there is going to be a point where it clicks and the players realize that they need to step up for us to be successful. Heck, maybe even the coach needs to realize it. It probably won't happen this year, but hopefully it will next year and the result is more W's



  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 62,691, Level: 77
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 559
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,150
    Points
    62,691
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 156
    Given: 140

    Re: The Kobe Bryant effect

    Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    Good point!

    Just like the Lakers, there is going to be a point where it clicks and the players realize that they need to step up for us to be successful. Heck, maybe even the coach needs to realize it. It probably won't happen this year, but hopefully it will next year and the result is more W's
    The problem with this year's team is there really isn't anyone besides Brackins that can "step up", other than maybe Lucca, and that's really only from the 3-point line. Let's face it, our guard play is pretty bad, and guards make the college basketball world go round. Until we get a serious upgrade in the backcourt, things aren't going to change much.

    I do have hope that next year will be better simply because we are upgrading the talent at guard considerably. However, they will still be 1st year players in the Big 12, so I guess I have cautious optimism. But really, how can we get much worse?



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 83,600, Level: 89
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 150
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    cstrunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Longview, TX
    Posts
    8,171
    Points
    83,600
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 2

    Re: The Kobe Bryant effect

    Very good thread. I definitely agree.



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 255,633, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    BryceC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    16,815
    Points
    255,633
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 215
    Given: 0

    Re: The Kobe Bryant effect

    Percentage of Shots Taken, national rating:

    1 Jermaine Taylor, Central Florida 41.5 6-4 205 Sr
    2 Jamal Barney, Loyola MD 39.7 6-3 185 So
    3 Lester Hudson, Tennessee Martin 38.5 6-2 190 Sr
    4 Dior Lowhorn, San Francisco 38.4 6-7 230 Jr
    5 Kyle Austin, UC Riverside 38.4 6-7 200 Jr
    6 Stephen Curry, Davidson 37.6 6-3 185 Jr
    7 Loren Leath, Sacramento St. 36.9 6-2 190 Sr
    8 Wesley Jenkins, St. Peter's 36.3 6-2 195 So
    9 Lamont Mack, Charlotte 36.1 6-7 230 Sr
    10 Josh Akognon, Cal St. Fullerton 35.8 5-11 185 Sr
    11 Jodie Meeks, Kentucky 35.8 6-4 208 Jr
    12 Craig Brackins, Iowa St. 35.7 6-10 230 So

    Basically being 12th in the nation in that stat shows just how much of a one man show we are.



  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 18,636, Level: 41
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 314
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    TxCycloneFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bastrop TX
    Posts
    1,483
    Points
    18,636
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The Kobe Bryant effect

    Quote Originally Posted by Icky_Mettle View Post
    You shouldn't compare Brackins to Kobe the day after Craig was in the state of Colorado.
    I hope Craig has a good jeweler!


    Go Clones!!
    Gig 'em Aggies!!
    Saw 'em off!!

  11. #11
    Just Win Baby
    Points: 299,761, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clones85''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,339
    Points
    299,761
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

    Re: The Kobe Bryant effect

    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaCy View Post
    The problem with this year's team is there really isn't anyone besides Brackins that can "step up", other than maybe Lucca, and that's really only from the 3-point line. Let's face it, our guard play is pretty bad, and guards make the college basketball world go round. Until we get a serious upgrade in the backcourt, things aren't going to change much.

    I do have hope that next year will be better simply because we are upgrading the talent at guard considerably. However, they will still be 1st year players in the Big 12, so I guess I have cautious optimism. But really, how can we get much worse?
    That was also the problem with that Lakers team. He didn't have the surrounding talent.

    Craig doesn't have the surrounding talent that he needs to win 20+ games but he does have enough to beat teams like Colorado, Hawaii, and SDSU. The other players need to quit watching and start playing. Is that going to help us win every game? No but it will help us wins games like last nights. We have players capable of "stepping up" and making an occasional jump shot, not turning it over, and getting a steal. They just need to do it



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 119,336, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tornado man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    7,976
    Points
    119,336
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 116
    Given: 196

    Re: The Kobe Bryant effect

    Quote Originally Posted by mplscyclone View Post
    I have a lot of issues with the way Brackins played last night. Too many turnovers and not enough points in the paint. Wasn't able to create enough opportunities to get to the foul line. Yes he scored most of our points, but he didn't play great at all.
    GMac would disagree with you. To quote him last night at the post-game press conference:

    "We have to understand if there's only one guy (Brackins) scoring baskets, then the ball needs to go to him every possession. We don't shoot it until he touches it. I guess we can't figure that out."

    Our issue apparently is that we aren't looking to him enough.



  13. #13
    Just Win Baby
    Points: 299,761, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clones85''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,339
    Points
    299,761
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

    Re: The Kobe Bryant effect

    Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    Percentage of Shots Taken, national rating:

    1 Jermaine Taylor, Central Florida 41.5 6-4 205 Sr
    2 Jamal Barney, Loyola MD 39.7 6-3 185 So
    3 Lester Hudson, Tennessee Martin 38.5 6-2 190 Sr
    4 Dior Lowhorn, San Francisco 38.4 6-7 230 Jr
    5 Kyle Austin, UC Riverside 38.4 6-7 200 Jr
    6 Stephen Curry, Davidson 37.6 6-3 185 Jr
    7 Loren Leath, Sacramento St. 36.9 6-2 190 Sr
    8 Wesley Jenkins, St. Peter's 36.3 6-2 195 So
    9 Lamont Mack, Charlotte 36.1 6-7 230 Sr
    10 Josh Akognon, Cal St. Fullerton 35.8 5-11 185 Sr
    11 Jodie Meeks, Kentucky 35.8 6-4 208 Jr
    12 Craig Brackins, Iowa St. 35.7 6-10 230 So

    Basically being 12th in the nation in that stat shows just how much of a one man show we are.

    Thanks for that stat.

    Out of those players, how many of them are on winning teams? I know Davidson and Kentucky. Those teams are average but there are no top 25 teams on there. Just shows you how important a supporting cast is for those players



  14. #14
    Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    3,273
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The Kobe Bryant effect

    Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    GMac would disagree with you. To quote him last night at the post-game press conference:

    "We have to understand if there's only one guy (Brackins) scoring baskets, then the ball needs to go to him every possession. We don't shoot it until he touches it. I guess we can't figure that out."

    Our issue apparently is that we aren't looking to him enough.

    He turned the ball over 5 times. Had only 1 offensive rebound.. Didn't exactly play amazing defense...

    Yes he's our only scoring threat pretty much, but I wouldn't say he had a great game...


    I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...

  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 40,805, Level: 62
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,641
    Points
    40,805
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The Kobe Bryant effect

    i thought the kobi bryant effect thread was going to be,"thumping someone bent over an easy chair!!"


    doc

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports Net
  • BASKETBALL: Iowa State vs. Alabama
  • November 24, 2014
  • 08:30 PM