Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 5

Thumbs up 2007 A year for change

2007 will go down as the beginnig of ISU Athletics rise to a new level,......Your thoughts!

Last edited by GM4ISU; 12-31-2006 at 10:21 AM.

Addict
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,955
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 7

Re: 2007 A year for change

Maybe next season in basketball with the 07-08 season the start of it but we have to be realistic and know that the FB program is going to take a few season to rebuild. I think the foundation has been set for some good things to come but when you have to build programs from the ground up it's not going to be an overnight thing.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 437
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 23

Rebuilding from the ground up? Our football program is not decimated. We have a lot of experience returning, especially on defense. If Chizik can plug the holes in the lines, he has a legitimate chance at a winning season next year.

That's not to say we should get our hopes up for a great season, but it's not very accurate to say Chizik's starting from scratch. I don't believe he would have taken the position if he thought it was going to be a complete rebuild.

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,080
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 5

i agree with both of yous guys posts. however, the thread talks of us rising to a new level, and i just don't see that happening in football next year. a winning season would be great and could be reached, but that would not be the next level. the next level to me is consecutive seasons of at least 8 wins and good bowl games. lets face it though, for us to get to a GOOD bowl game we may have to win 9 or 10 in the regular season. hopefully all of these things can come soon. only time will tell.

Addict
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,955
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 7

I would be thrilled for a winning season in FB next year but I really have no expectations right now. We'll have some growing pains with implementing a new system and I'm not sold on the notion that the talent we have coming back is as good as everyone thinks it is. I really think Meyer is over-rated and we lost all but 1 on our offensive line with no depth behind it so that is never a good thing. We don't have a go-to RB right now and our defense still has a lot of holes to fill. Chizik has a big task at hand right now just to find some stop-gap players to fill some of these holes so we can even put a team on the field really. Yes we have a decent QB and above average group of WR's but as we found out last year without a consistent running game and offensive line and a defense that can at least make some stops once in awhile that means nothing. I think at the moment we have less talent returning than we had coming into this past season.

Addict
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 49

It's way too early to tell. You could have argued successfully that the program did that way back in 2000...

JP's taken some big gambles. Now we get to see if they all pay off.

Last edited by Bobber; 12-31-2006 at 11:53 AM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

True Bobber. At least if we fail, it won't be for lack of trying.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    I would be thrilled for a winning season in FB next year but I really have no expectations right now. We'll have some growing pains with implementing a new system and I'm not sold on the notion that the talent we have coming back is as good as everyone thinks it is. I really think Meyer is over-rated and we lost all but 1 on our offensive line with no depth behind it so that is never a good thing. We don't have a go-to RB right now and our defense still has a lot of holes to fill. Chizik has a big task at hand right now just to find some stop-gap players to fill some of these holes so we can even put a team on the field really. Yes we have a decent QB and above average group of WR's but as we found out last year without a consistent running game and offensive line and a defense that can at least make some stops once in awhile that means nothing. I think at the moment we have less talent returning than we had coming into this past season.
    You make a lot of good points. I only disagree about Meyer. He is a solid quarterback, and his struggles this year were (imo) more a symptom of a poor offensive line than his ability to lead the team. I feel he's got the right stuff if he can get somewhat consistent protection.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

Speaking of 2000, Rancik and Tinsley are on ESPN as #9 rank playing #18 Oklahoma and Najura in an old game. 59-46 with 3:19 to play from year 2000 right now. Ha-ha.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Do you think the football team could make a K-State type of rebound? Nobody expected anything from them in the first year under Prince. They ended up winning 7 games and one was a upset of Texas. They had an inexperience QB and really nothing going for them going into this season.

ISU may have only won 4 games this year but we do have experience on both sides of the ball coming back. You never know and it is always good to be optimistic in January!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 725
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 22

This would be out stading if it happened
    -Iowa State Men make the ncaa tourn
    -Iowa State Women Make it 2 or 3 rounds into the tourn
    -ISU Football Gets 6 wins
    -ISU Wrestling Places top 3 at the end of the year
    -Vollyball makes it back to back ncaa tourn
    -(lil random) Womens Soccer makes the ncaa tourn
    -Gymnastics wins the NCAA tourn

EVERYONE BEATS IOWA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(on a side note) Favre comes back and the Packers win the SuperBowl...i can dream....

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by benjay View Post
    Rebuilding from the ground up? Our football program is not decimated. We have a lot of experience returning, especially on defense. If Chizik can plug the holes in the lines, he has a legitimate chance at a winning season next year.

That's not to say we should get our hopes up for a great season, but it's not very accurate to say Chizik's starting from scratch. I don't believe he would have taken the position if he thought it was going to be a complete rebuild.
    There are some universal truths when it comes to the game of football, especially for a BCS conference team.

Games are won and lost up front. And if you were watching last season, we were mauled in the trenches, on both sides of the ball, against all but a couple of teams (Mizzu, and ???) this past year. And I believe that we graduated all but one starter on the O-Line, as well as Curvey and Moorehead on the defensive side.

I don't think that GC is going for the quick fix. I think that he wants to build a program that can sustain itself over time. That's why I think that, while we will see a couple more juco linemen recruited this year, we aren't going to have a class full of them.

Because of this, I still think offensive and defensive lines will struggle again this year. It is going to be the biggest test of the coaching staff, to see what they can do to offset this weakness.

Now as for the other sports, I think both BB teams will be competing for post season bids for many years to come. They are both well coached, and have shown the ability to get good recruits.

Cael needs to use his name and continue to recruit the best wrestlers in the country. I am sure that he will do that, and Iowa State will reclaim its place as one of the elite programs in the country. The win at the Midlands was a great start, and he can definitely build on that as he gets the team ready for March.

As for the rest of the programs, you just want to see them continue to improve, and grow.

Last edited by darts180; 01-01-2007 at 09:34 PM.
    Jeffrey A Crawford

Rookie
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 500
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 2

Baseball is seriously discussed for coming back within 3 years
    Wrestling NCAA tourny held in Hilton in the future again
    Hilton is the future site of some WBB & MBB regional games

Walk On
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I would much rather see the already outstanding ISU Hockey club team go DI rather than fielding a baseball team again. Hockey would definitely generate more fan interest and $$$. ISU is also in a great place to recruit some really good HS hockey players. Just look at all the junior teams playing in Iowa.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

Just look at UNO hockey program.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.