Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

ISUVFMB Question

Ok, I've been wondering this for years and just thought of it again for some reason. Just curious, why does the FB marching band have a drum major like they do at Wisconsin or Ohio State? Love the OSU tradition of spelling Ohio and dotting the I. Curious why ISU doesn't have a drum major leading its band?

URBCLONE

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 799
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: ISUVFMB Question

Quote Originally Posted by URBCLONE View Post
    Ok, I've been wondering this for years and just thought of it again for some reason. Just curious, why does the FB marching band have a drum major like they do at Wisconsin or Ohio State? Love the OSU tradition of spelling Ohio and dotting the I. Curious why ISU doesn't have a drum major leading its band?
    They do... 3 of them actually.

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 882
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoClone View Post
    They do... 3 of them actually.
    Ok, not a band guy, but I'm talking about the guy with the huge hat who leads the band on the field at half - Wisky band leader gets pretty crazy. I thought the leader of the ISU band was the guy on the ladder on the sideline?

URBCLONE

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Urbclone, you are (for some reason) thinking of the person that the Big Ten schools call a "drum major". What that conference's bands do is completely different from everybody else. The drum major in the Big Ten is basically just another featured twirler, using a mace; they don't direct the band. A faculty member is the actual conductor of the ensemble, both on the field and in the stands. Many Big 10 programs also have graduate students in music education or conducting serve as assistant conductors. Undergrads are basically never in a conducting position.

The Big 12 (and, for the most part, everyone else) have student drum majors who actually conduct the shows on the field and in the stands. They typically are undergrads (or also grad students, in a few places) and have a significant amount of responsibility in leading the ensemble. Iowa State has three undergraduate drum majors every year.

Additionally, Ohio State's stupid "dotting the i" tradition is done by a sousaphone, not by their "drum major".

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 882
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ornryactor View Post
    Urbclone, you are (for some reason) thinking of the person that the Big Ten schools call a "drum major". What that conference's bands do is completely different from everybody else. The drum major in the Big Ten is basically just another featured twirler, using a mace; they don't direct the band. A faculty member is the actual conductor of the ensemble, both on the field and in the stands. Many Big 10 programs also have graduate students in music education or conducting serve as assistant conductors. Undergrads are basically never in a conducting position.

The Big 12 (and, for the most part, everyone else) have student drum majors who actually conduct the shows on the field and in the stands. They typically are undergrads (or also grad students, in a few places) and have a significant amount of responsibility in leading the ensemble. Iowa State has three undergraduate drum majors every year.
    Thanks for the info! I knew there had to be something behind this. Last fall I noticed that the Big Ten schools did that and that the Big Twelve schools didn't. Have always kind of wondered about that. Thanks again.

URBCLONE

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 915
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

here are the drum majors

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmrnnIEOGNo]YouTube - ISU CF 'V' MB Krupke skit[/ame]

Addict
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,301
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 156

Because that guy is not straight . The highstepping and the hat... Ill take a baton twirler anyday.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7K4G3XfVNk"]YouTube - Drum Major on the Run[/ame]

Last edited by ripvdub; 01-26-2009 at 09:39 PM.
    #BEATIOWA

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 577
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by ornryactor View Post

Additionally, Ohio State's stupid "dotting the i" tradition is done by a sousaphone, not by their "drum major".
    Well said, except for the Ohio State thing. I personally like it and their band, there is a reason why they call themselves "the best damn band in the land."

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91

I always laugh at the Iowa guy whenever they bring their band. That guy is either very "flambuoyant" in real life or doesn't really care what people think of him. I just don't think that kind of thing is done outside of Iowa City or San Francisco.

Rookie
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 588
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Plus the fact that the Big 10 is VERY traditional. Lots of stupid high-stepping, drums at funny angles etc. The OSU Band doesn't march any woodwinds. Just Brass. The Big 12 and ISU in particular do a pre-game traditional show with the spelling out of ISU and cyclones accompanied by the high-step, but their half time shows are actual shows that change every week. Basically, the Big 10 bands suck.

Texas's band destroyed OSU in their Bowl game this year. Lot better sound and instrumentation, and DRUMLINE!

Pro
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 415
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by iowaboy View Post
    Plus the fact that the Big 10 is VERY traditional. Lots of stupid high-stepping, drums at funny angles etc. The OSU Band doesn't march any woodwinds. Just Brass. The Big 12 and ISU in particular do a pre-game traditional show with the spelling out of ISU and cyclones accompanied by the high-step, but their half time shows are actual shows that change every week. Basically, the Big 10 bands suck.

Texas's band destroyed OSU in their Bowl game this year. Lot better sound and instrumentation, and DRUMLINE!
    Brass kicks ***!

Quote Originally Posted by 2020cy View Post
    I agree with Tube1.
    Sweeeeeeet...

Addict
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,301
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 156

Have you guys seen that Big 10 channel commercial with the Wisconsin band and that very stupid stutter step they do with their necks all shortened.

#BEATIOWA

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by iowaboy View Post

Every Big 12 band is better than Ohio State's band (Kansas might be bad enough some years to be down at OSU's level), but Texas was a particularly unfortunate comparison for them. The Texas band isn't the best in the Big 12, but they're good. Their drumline, however, is a force to be reckoned with. They are CRAZY good. The Buckeyes look like 9th-grade hackers in comparison.

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

Addict
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 1,282
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 100

Quote Originally Posted by ripvdub View Post
    Because that guy is not straight . The highstepping and the hat... Ill take a baton twirler anyday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clonehomer View Post
    I always laugh at the Iowa guy whenever they bring their band. That guy is either very "flambuoyant" in real life or doesn't really care what people think of him. I just don't think that kind of thing is done outside of Iowa City or San Francisco.
    You guys college educated? Hope ISU isn't responsible for your "tolerance."

All-Star
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 945
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 10

My wife would tell you that the best marching band is Texas A&M.

Whether you think you can or think you can't;
    you are right. Henry Ford