Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 223
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 2

My official "We want John Henderson" thread....

This kid could be a real steal. Saw that we've been talking with him, but he visited Ar-kansas this past weekend, fits a big time need for us. Size, Strength and speed in the middle (ala Rubin & Curvey).....

http://iowastate.rivals.com/viewpros...p?pr_key=91013

http://iowastate.scout.com/a.z?s=171...=1&nid=3748582

This is something we desperately need. A front line type interior DL that will take a lot of the pressures off the young guys and allow them to develop rather then thrust them into a starting spot and give them the Sink or Swim routine.

According to a Arkansas recruiting site, he's listed at 6'-2" 309 pds, 4.95 forty and heres the strength part, benches a self reported 460 lb bench press and 650 squat. And for a big guy is athletic.....during the season he had a 55 yard kickoff return.

Here's where i think ISU could fit right in with him.....
    "I want some place i can play, because i only have two more years to play" he went on to say - "I believe wherever i go, i'll be able to start, i have that much confidence in myself".

Now, i have not seen him on tape, but, his measurables are something that could fill a big void and give our youth time to develop. Couple him with a good pass rushing end and some speed at linebacker/safety and our defense could greatly improve - year one!!!!!

Last edited by KMAC_ATTACK; 01-26-2009 at 03:06 PM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 360
    Given: 107

Re: My official "We want John Henderson" thread....

That guy would be a HUGE get, imo. Our lack of quality D-line plays hamstrings our defense. It looked like the biggest problem w/our D was the secondary last year, on the surface, but when you look at it, we returned everyone from a secondary that had played pretty well the year before. The difference, was our ability to get to the quarterback. Tuba drew double teams on almost every play, and it made everyone else rushing the passer that much better. This year we didn't have a guy in the middle who drew a double team, and BAM, look what happens.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 210
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

If he can play sign him up. We need somebody to plug the middle.

Starter
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 332
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Yes, I agree that we should get this guy. What can we do as fans?

Recruit
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 208
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cloner97 View Post
    Yes, I agree that we should get this guy. What can we do as fans?
    Nothing....or risk the wrath of the compliance linebacker!!!!!!!

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Would like to see us get this guy, but we need DE way worse than we need DT's.

I think we have some decent DT's but they are really young. Hopefully Black, Ruehl, McDonough, Alburtis can step up this year

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 114

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post

I think we have some decent DT's but they are really young. Hopefully Black, Ruehl, McDonough, Alburtis can step up this year
    Dude, you can never have enough big bodies in the middle. I really hope we can get this guy. The pressure starts up front.

"Dog Eat Dog"
    Read the news
    Someone win,
    Someone lose

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by joefrog View Post
    Dude, you can never have enough big bodies in the middle. I really hope we can get this guy. The pressure starts up front.
    Thus the reason I said that I would like to see us get him. Did you miss that? Also the reason I said that we need DE's more. We have less depth there and are they not considered up front? Don't they provide more pressure than a DT?

Pro
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,423
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 111

We lose Tate and Weir, so that alone frees up PT. Also, this guy could simply beat out those on the roster. He would be GREAT get. Arkansas, Arizona, KU, and Minnesota are also schools of interest, but rosters of those teams indicate a much larger logjam of DTs to compete with. All these schools have numerous DE's that could also make the jump to DT, too (AZ has 11 DE's, MN 11, and KU 9).

My expectations are for Frere, Black, Alburtis, McDonough (DT or DE), and R-Hammer to improve dramatically, but adding another very strong and athletic big guy to the mix would be exciting, indeed. We definitely need to secure some DTs AND DEs.

Pro
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 223
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 2

Right on Clones85 - we do have some talent - exactly what i was saying - were young at DT probably the most pivotal position within the front 7. If your getting manhandled in the tackles, everything else falls into place for the offense.

I thought at the end of the year Frere was beginning to emerge - but, we only have him for another year. Couple a guy like Henderson with Frere and suddenly the inside is tough, that makes those double teams move away from the edges and into the middle giving us a bit more one on ones with our outside guys. And lets not forget what Parker did as a freshman when the middle was drawing those double teams - All Freshman team if i remember right. Not to mention Meggitt and Laing wre being touted by the previous staff as really developing. Add in the mix of Lyle and Martin if he stays and i think we have a really nice mix at DE. Then rotate our young DT in so they get valuable playing time without assuming 100% of the role as a starter until their ready.

Get that middle plugged, then when someone blitzes up the middle i don't have to watch the guard who had nobody to block just pick him off and the throw is uncontested for 25 yard gains over and over. All that was not on the cornerbacks. Our inexperience/talent on the DL was a huge factor in our defenses success/failures last year. When we got any pressure we succeeded. But, more then not, no pressure and suddenly the LB's arent getting deep enough in their drops and the middle opens like the parting of the seas....

its so easy from the chair the sofa to see what went so wrong - I think they call that ArmChair Quarterbacks!!!! But, i think the coaches began to pressure more with blitzes (Unsuccessful Safety and LB Blitzes) because they eventually realized our front wasnt getting the job done.

We need the three S's in our middle to really change our Defense....SIZE, STRENGTH, SPEED....After all, if its okay for a team like Alabama to go out and recruit two JUCO dt's to plug their holes maybe we should realize its not always better to wait for the young guys to develop....nothing says they will ever get to the point needed. Get a proven commodity in that spot and allow the young guys to develop and work themselves into that starting spot.

Pro
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 29

I would LOVE to get this guy - Anytime we can steal a recruit away from Arkansas I'm thrilled!

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Legend
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 136
    Given: 530

True that. And with only a few schollies remaining to give, you have to wonder if they can afford to take another DT.