Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Colorado Ski Help

So I am looking at just going out and skiing for a couple days out in the Denver area for a short vacation at the end of February. I wonder if anyone as any advice on getting some cheap lift tickets as I have my own skis. I was thinking the breckenridge and keystone area looked cool to try out based on what I heard for a novice skier. Anyone know what I should do? Can you scalp lift tickets off people tired and selling off a day? Any discounts anyone else knows of? Thanks for the help!

ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

All-Star
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 596
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Re: Colorado Ski Help

Safeway (the many grocery store) has discounted lift tickets to most, if not all, resorts. Personally I prefer Loveland, Winter Park, Breck, and Copper if I have to go to a resort....I'm more into backcountry/off-piste stuff. We were out there a little over a week ago and Keystone was pretty icy (has been most times I've been there), Vail has some sweet back bowls, A-Basin is cool.

If you're staying in Denver, I'd recommend Loveland and Winter Park. Staying in Summit County, you could hit the Breck, Keystone, A-Basin, Copper, Vail, and Loveland all within 30-45 minutes (from Frisco or Dillon).

Pro
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 785
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

King Sooper is the grocery store you are looking for. There is one right off the interstate as you head up into the mountains. I can't remember the name of the exit (check it out online) but this is where we get our tickets every year.

You can also try craigslist out in the denver area once you know when you will be there for sure. There is always lift tickets for sale on there.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I've stopped at Safeway for tickets before and unless you have a 'Colorado Pass' there was no discount for buying the lift ticket there. Sometimes small ski shops will carry them for $5 off, but they're really hit or miss. The best thing I've found for discount tickets is to order ahead. If you're like me you don't know where you'll ski until you get the morning snow report.

I've bought and sold 'used' tickets at the base and never had a problem with it. Signs say that you can't scalp but I've had the ticket counter verify a scalped ticket before w/o hassle. I once bought a 3 day pass off a guy who's wife got hurt for $45!

If you're in the Denver area I would hit up WinterPark or Copper. Both have tons of variety for many levels of skiing. Also, I've never had a bad snow day at either. (Been to each place 3x's)

@ WinterPark you should ski the Parsenn Bowl - don't be intimidated, even if it kicks your a** you'll still always talk about skiing it. Sleeper is a nice long fun run as well. Also the Drunken Frenchman is a must ski run...

@ Copper you will always find fresh pow in Spalding Bowl, just follow the ridge as far as you can, be patient and don't drop in too soon! It's well worth the push. I always had good luck skiing off the Super Bee or American Eagle lifts.

Don't waste your time at Breck, it's just a name w/ over rated skiing. Keystone is a great place if they've had recent snow, I'd definately go back, but it can be pretty hard on your skiis if they haven't had much snow.

CH - '01 Alum

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 109

Quote Originally Posted by chuede View Post
    I've stopped at Safeway for tickets before and unless you have a 'Colorado Pass' there was no discount for buying the lift ticket there. Sometimes small ski shops will carry them for $5 off, but they're really hit or miss. The best thing I've found for discount tickets is to order ahead. If you're like me you don't know where you'll ski until you get the morning snow report.

I've bought and sold 'used' tickets at the base and never had a problem with it. Signs say that you can't scalp but I've had the ticket counter verify a scalped ticket before w/o hassle. I once bought a 3 day pass off a guy who's wife got hurt for $45!

If you're in the Denver area I would hit up WinterPark or Copper. Both have tons of variety for many levels of skiing. Also, I've never had a bad snow day at either. (Been to each place 3x's)

@ WinterPark you should ski the Parsenn Bowl - don't be intimidated, even if it kicks your a** you'll still always talk about skiing it. Sleeper is a nice long fun run as well. Also the Drunken Frenchman is a must ski run...

@ Copper you will always find fresh pow in Spalding Bowl, just follow the ridge as far as you can, be patient and don't drop in too soon! It's well worth the push. I always had good luck skiing off the Super Bee or American Eagle lifts.

Don't waste your time at Breck, it's just a name w/ over rated skiing. Keystone is a great place if they've had recent snow, I'd definately go back, but it can be pretty hard on your skiis if they haven't had much snow.
    What he said. Great places to ski. Dangit now I have to start planning a trip.

"Dog Eat Dog"
    Read the news
    Someone win,
    Someone lose

All-Star
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 596
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by chuede View Post
    I've stopped at Safeway for tickets before and unless you have a 'Colorado Pass' there was no discount for buying the lift ticket there.
    Not sure what Safeway you went to, but you got screwed. When I was there I bought tix to Copper and Loveland for like $15 (?) off each at the Safeway in Frisco, don't have a Safeway Card or Colorado Pass. The chick at the counter tried to tell me they didn't sell LL tickets--I called her on it b/c I'd bought them there before. The manager came over and sold me the tickets, then explained that they don't advertise LL and some of the other places b/c those places don't provide ads or pay them for advertising so they just don't push those tickets as much as they do others. Most tourists hear that they can't buy them and decide to buy for somewhere else (ahem, places that pay Safeway to promote) Kinda shady but oh well, sometimes ya gotta give them a little push to get it.

Will have to stop into a King Sooper next time to see what deals they have.

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I was just in Colorado earlier this month and got a pass called "Kung Pow Pass" which allows you to go to three ski resorts for only $99 for lift tickets. I don't know if it's still going but the three ski resorts were Copper Mountains, Winter Park, and Steamboat.

Winter Park is a must...easily the best skiing in the Denver area IMO. I was pretty disappointed with Copper Mountains and we never got a chance to go to Steamboat because too far away.

Legend
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 307
    Given: 157

When we head out we get our tickets ahead of time through PEAKS. I believe it only works with Keystone, A-basin, Breck, Vail, and Beaver Creek. (Copper and winter park aren't included with the PEAKS discount). It saves you some money, but not really sure if its more or less than the "Safeway" the others were talking about, however.

PS: if interested in PEAKS, the lift tix are available on the websites of the 5 resorts mentioned above. You can compare the pricing with others.

When Prepared, Fear No One.

Starter
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 279
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I would try to go to either Vail or Steamboat. I was at Vail last weekend and found some knee deep first tracks. Can not beat that. If you are just need a few days up on the mountain, I would just get your passes at King Soopers.

Legend
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 307
    Given: 157

Quote Originally Posted by CO4Cy View Post
    I would try to go to either Vail or Steamboat. I was at Vail last weekend and found some knee deep first tracks. Can not beat that. If you are just need a few days up on the mountain, I would just get your passes at King Soopers.
    We were at Vail in the second week of January when that snow storm hit and it was some of the best powder I've ever been in. Knee deep (and sometimes thigh deep), untouched powder, in the back bowls and blue sky basin, it was like I was floating in Heaven.

When Prepared, Fear No One.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 757
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 125

I bought a pass at King Sooper(sp?) 2 wks. ago. 3 day pass and have 5 days to use it for $231. This was for Keystone, A-Basin, and Breckenridge.

Addict
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,631
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by CY ST8T View Post
    So I am looking at just going out and skiing for a couple days out in the Denver area for a short vacation at the end of February. I wonder if anyone as any advice on getting some cheap lift tickets as I have my own skis. I was thinking the breckenridge and keystone area looked cool to try out based on what I heard for a novice skier. Anyone know what I should do? Can you scalp lift tickets off people tired and selling off a day? Any discounts anyone else knows of? Thanks for the help!
    Best thing is offer someone a few buck to have them use their pass to buy you one for the day. Most season passes will get a guest in for the day at half price. You won't find a better deal at safeway or anywhere else.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by everyyard View Post
    Best thing is offer someone a few buck to have them use their pass to buy you one for the day. Most season passes will get a guest in for the day at half price. You won't find a better deal at safeway or anywhere else.
    I've had luck going this route.
    I've been to all of the major resorts out there and my favorite place by far is Vail, you pay through *** for it, but it's so huge and gets some of the best snow in CO.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Vail has great terrain and snow if they have gotten snow within the last 48 hrs. If no fresh snow within the 48 hrs I'd save my money and go somewhere else. You'll find better snow for less cost and half the yuppies.

CH - '01 Alum

Legend
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 172
    Given: 277

I've been to most of the places in Colorado and to be honest they all have their positives. I've never had a bad time at any of them and the only times it was less than perfect was because of weather. To me the housing/location is the most important piece, the skiinjg always seems to fall in line.

As far as tickets, for summit county we go here. You need to buy them before you actually get into the mountains. The stores there won't have these discounts.

This location is just off I-70 (on your way to Breckenridge)
    KING SOOPERS
    1173 BERGEN PARKWAY
    BERGEN PARK, CO 80439
    Store Phone: 303-674-8249 (Take the Evergreen e

BTW-Here is a guy I met on a ski lift in Breckenridge. It was a long ride so he decided to light up. I asked him if it was alright if i took his picture and he said "as long as you're with High Times" "Want a hit".

Last edited by dmclone; 01-27-2009 at 07:33 AM.