Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 21,467, Level: 44
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    1,235
    Points
    21,467
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Big men shooting the three.

    I was disappointed with the loss yesterday. Even though I had this game as an L throughout the season, I thought ISU had a decent shot to hang tough and possibly win this game. The team wasted a really spectacular performance by Brackins. It kind of supports what many of us have been saying, the talent level of this team is simply not up to Big 12 standards. Outside of CB and DG, there are not a lot of players that can go toe to toe with the other teams in this conference.

    With all of that, the team was within 6 with about 7 - 8 minutes to go with the ball. On this critical possession, VanderBeken launches another three and misses. I think he was 1-8 from behind the arc yesterday. Can someone explain why GM allows this? Please correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't this a major bone of contention for him in Year 1 with Jiri Hubalek? Is having a post firing threes a featured part of GM's system? If so, I can certainly stomach it as long as CB is the guy taking the shot. I don't understand green lighting JVB however...


    URBCLONE

  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 431,749, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,790
    Points
    431,749
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 15

    Re: Big men shooting the three.

    Quote Originally Posted by URBCLONE View Post
    With all of that, the team was within 6 with about 7 - 8 minutes to go with the ball. On this critical possession, VanderBeken launches another three and misses. I think he was 1-8 from behind the arc yesterday. Can someone explain why GM allows this? Please correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't this a major bone of contention for him in Year 1 with Jiri Hubalek? Is having a post firing threes a featured part of GM's system? If so, I can certainly stomach it as long as CB is the guy taking the shot. I don't understand green lighting JVB however...
    He wasn't brought in as a post player...the shot was open, he took it. He was 2/8 by the way. If JVB hits that three, we're praising him, but he missed and now we're questioning it.



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 21,467, Level: 44
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    1,235
    Points
    21,467
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Big men shooting the three.

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    He wasn't brought in as a post player...the shot was open, he took it. He was 2/8 by the way. If JVB hits that three, we're praising him, but he missed and now we're questioning it.
    Ok. 2-8. What I am questioning is whether or not this is good offensive strategy. Again, I seem to recall that GM rode Jiri very hard to get down on the block and take 2-5 ft shots instead of camping out behind the arc.

    Floyd used to preach that his players should not 'settle' for threes, that instead they should work for a higher percentage shot inside. I am simply questioning the idea that having big men shooting from behind the arc is the best use of a possession?


    URBCLONE

  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 34,283, Level: 57
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,167
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    fccy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Forest City
    Posts
    3,418
    Points
    34,283
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 261

    Re: Big men shooting the three.

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    He wasn't brought in as a post player...the shot was open, he took it. He was 2/8 by the way. If JVB hits that three, we're praising him, but he missed and now we're questioning it.
    Correct. When JVB was recruited, GMac wanted him because he could shoot the 3.



  5. #5
    Legend
    Points: 145,470, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    cybsball20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    12,705
    Points
    145,470
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 31

    Re: Big men shooting the three.

    Big men that can shoot the three are valuable because the defender has to either leave him open or commit to stopping the three, leaving a huge void in the middle...



    Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

    Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

    and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 21,467, Level: 44
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    1,235
    Points
    21,467
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Big men shooting the three.

    Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    Big men that can shoot the three are valuable because the defender has to either leave him open or commit to stopping the three, leaving a huge void in the middle...
    I don't argue that point, what I do argue is whether our big men (outside of CB) are capable three point shooters. The possession that I mentioned was critical to the outcome of the game. I think ISU would have been better served to work the ball inside and attempt to get the shot or fouled. Makes it a four point game and all the pressure is on KU. Instead the shot goes off the iron, KU rebounds and it leads to easy points off of transition. 8 point game and a little air goes out of the Cyclones at that point.


    URBCLONE

  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 392,336, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    57,292
    Points
    392,336
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 328
    Given: 265

    Re: Big men shooting the three.

    Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    Big men that can shoot the three are valuable because the defender has to either leave him open or commit to stopping the three, leaving a huge void in the middle...

    That would be okay but we do not know how to rebound worth beans.


    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 431,749, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,790
    Points
    431,749
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 15

    Re: Big men shooting the three.

    Quote Originally Posted by URBCLONE View Post
    I don't argue that point, what I do argue is whether our big men (outside of CB) are capable three point shooters. The possession that I mentioned was critical to the outcome of the game. I think ISU would have been better served to work the ball inside and attempt to get the shot or fouled. Makes it a four point game and all the pressure is on KU. Instead the shot goes off the iron, KU rebounds and it leads to easy points off of transition. 8 point game and a little air goes out of the Cyclones at that point.
    I'll give JVB credit for taking it. Next to Brackins, he looked like the only person on the floor who wanted to take a shot. A three goes in in that situation and the roof comes off Hilton. It was open. He had the balls to take it. Job well done JVB, just hit it next time



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 44,421, Level: 65
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,129
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    mwitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,801
    Points
    44,421
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 3

    Re: Big men shooting the three.

    Vanderbeken is a better 3 point shooter than Craig.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 65,864, Level: 79
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 586
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    erikbj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    hiawatha, ia
    Posts
    5,126
    Points
    65,864
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 145
    Given: 38

    Re: Big men shooting the three.

    His ability to shoot it out there means the opposing team can not double up on CB as fast, because their other big man is out at the 3 point arc. He makes that 3 and it is a 3 point game with 3-4 minutes left and Hilton would be it at its loudest moment since McD took over.



  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 71,595, Level: 83
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,555
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyfan964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 blocks from the Jack
    Posts
    4,516
    Points
    71,595
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 93

    Re: Big men shooting the three.

    Tyler Junior College
    Led his Tyler squad to a top-10 national ranking and its first outright conference title in 21 years in his sophomore season...averaged 14.1 points and 9.1 rebounds to guide Tyler to a 25-3 overall mark...led the team in field-goal percentage (56.7 percent) and was second on the squad in 3-pointers made with 40



    He was second on a Junior College team that went 25-3 in three pointers made. That gives him a green light. The kid is a shooter.


    Now that MBB is back, do we still have to pretend that WBB matters?

    -acgclone

  12. #12
    Starter
    Points: 15,177, Level: 37
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    ce1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    955
    Points
    15,177
    Level
    37
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 10

    Re: Big men shooting the three.

    These players should take the wide-open three point shot any time they have it: Petersen, Eikmeier, Staiger, JVB

    In fact, i'd be ticked if JVB doesn't take that shot. He was brought here to shoot and hit three point shots. Comparing JVB to Hubalek is night and day. The only thing they have in common is height. The two of them have entirely different games, and entirely different roles on this team.



  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 15,531, Level: 37
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    shildreth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,146
    Points
    15,531
    Level
    37
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 17

    Re: Big men shooting the three.

    Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    Big men that can shoot the three are valuable because the defender has to either leave him open or commit to stopping the three, leaving a huge void in the middle...
    it is valuable when someone takes advantage of that void.... so far no one has. ISU's "inside game" is nonexistant.


    '00 Grad
    "Can I borrow your towel, my car just hit a water buffalo" Erwin Fletcher

  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 57,504, Level: 74
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,046
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    2,295
    Points
    57,504
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 0

    Re: Big men shooting the three.

    Quote Originally Posted by URBCLONE View Post
    I was disappointed with the loss yesterday. Even though I had this game as an L throughout the season, I thought ISU had a decent shot to hang tough and possibly win this game. The team wasted a really spectacular performance by Brackins. It kind of supports what many of us have been saying, the talent level of this team is simply not up to Big 12 standards. Outside of CB and DG, there are not a lot of players that can go toe to toe with the other teams in this conference.

    With all of that, the team was within 6 with about 7 - 8 minutes to go with the ball. On this critical possession, VanderBeken launches another three and misses. I think he was 1-8 from behind the arc yesterday. Can someone explain why GM allows this? Please correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't this a major bone of contention for him in Year 1 with Jiri Hubalek? Is having a post firing threes a featured part of GM's system? If so, I can certainly stomach it as long as CB is the guy taking the shot. I don't understand green lighting JVB however...
    Listen to GMacs postgame --- that is what JVB and Petey and Eik and Lucca and .... are SUPPOSED to do. GMac knew the middle was going to be packed tight and we're a jump-shooting team so we take the shot thats open and his shots were open. We had lots of open looks yesterday and if we just shoot our average we're right there.



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 335,044, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,730
    Points
    335,044
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

    Re: Big men shooting the three.

    Quote Originally Posted by fccy View Post
    Correct. When JVB was recruited, GMac wanted him because he could shoot the 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    Big men that can shoot the three are valuable because the defender has to either leave him open or commit to stopping the three, leaving a huge void in the middle...
    Quote Originally Posted by mwitt View Post
    Vanderbeken is a better 3 point shooter than Craig.
    Thread over. Well, it should be...



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM