Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Big men shooting the three.

I was disappointed with the loss yesterday. Even though I had this game as an L throughout the season, I thought ISU had a decent shot to hang tough and possibly win this game. The team wasted a really spectacular performance by Brackins. It kind of supports what many of us have been saying, the talent level of this team is simply not up to Big 12 standards. Outside of CB and DG, there are not a lot of players that can go toe to toe with the other teams in this conference.

With all of that, the team was within 6 with about 7 - 8 minutes to go with the ball. On this critical possession, VanderBeken launches another three and misses. I think he was 1-8 from behind the arc yesterday. Can someone explain why GM allows this? Please correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't this a major bone of contention for him in Year 1 with Jiri Hubalek? Is having a post firing threes a featured part of GM's system? If so, I can certainly stomach it as long as CB is the guy taking the shot. I don't understand green lighting JVB however...

URBCLONE

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 15

Re: Big men shooting the three.

Quote Originally Posted by URBCLONE View Post
    With all of that, the team was within 6 with about 7 - 8 minutes to go with the ball. On this critical possession, VanderBeken launches another three and misses. I think he was 1-8 from behind the arc yesterday. Can someone explain why GM allows this? Please correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't this a major bone of contention for him in Year 1 with Jiri Hubalek? Is having a post firing threes a featured part of GM's system? If so, I can certainly stomach it as long as CB is the guy taking the shot. I don't understand green lighting JVB however...
    He wasn't brought in as a post player...the shot was open, he took it. He was 2/8 by the way. If JVB hits that three, we're praising him, but he missed and now we're questioning it.

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    He wasn't brought in as a post player...the shot was open, he took it. He was 2/8 by the way. If JVB hits that three, we're praising him, but he missed and now we're questioning it.
    Ok. 2-8. What I am questioning is whether or not this is good offensive strategy. Again, I seem to recall that GM rode Jiri very hard to get down on the block and take 2-5 ft shots instead of camping out behind the arc.

Floyd used to preach that his players should not 'settle' for threes, that instead they should work for a higher percentage shot inside. I am simply questioning the idea that having big men shooting from behind the arc is the best use of a possession?

URBCLONE

Pro
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,167
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 261

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Correct. When JVB was recruited, GMac wanted him because he could shoot the 3.

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 31

Big men that can shoot the three are valuable because the defender has to either leave him open or commit to stopping the three, leaving a huge void in the middle...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    Big men that can shoot the three are valuable because the defender has to either leave him open or commit to stopping the three, leaving a huge void in the middle...
    I don't argue that point, what I do argue is whether our big men (outside of CB) are capable three point shooters. The possession that I mentioned was critical to the outcome of the game. I think ISU would have been better served to work the ball inside and attempt to get the shot or fouled. Makes it a four point game and all the pressure is on KU. Instead the shot goes off the iron, KU rebounds and it leads to easy points off of transition. 8 point game and a little air goes out of the Cyclones at that point.

URBCLONE

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 328
    Given: 265

That would be okay but we do not know how to rebound worth beans.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 15

I don't argue that point, what I do argue is whether our big men (outside of CB) are capable three point shooters. The possession that I mentioned was critical to the outcome of the game. I think ISU would have been better served to work the ball inside and attempt to get the shot or fouled. Makes it a four point game and all the pressure is on KU. Instead the shot goes off the iron, KU rebounds and it leads to easy points off of transition. 8 point game and a little air goes out of the Cyclones at that point.
    I'll give JVB credit for taking it. Next to Brackins, he looked like the only person on the floor who wanted to take a shot. A three goes in in that situation and the roof comes off Hilton. It was open. He had the balls to take it. Job well done JVB, just hit it next time

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,129
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

Vanderbeken is a better 3 point shooter than Craig.

Addict
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 586
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 145
    Given: 38

His ability to shoot it out there means the opposing team can not double up on CB as fast, because their other big man is out at the 3 point arc. He makes that 3 and it is a 3 point game with 3-4 minutes left and Hilton would be it at its loudest moment since McD took over.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,555
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 93

Tyler Junior College
    Led his Tyler squad to a top-10 national ranking and its first outright conference title in 21 years in his sophomore season...averaged 14.1 points and 9.1 rebounds to guide Tyler to a 25-3 overall mark...led the team in field-goal percentage (56.7 percent) and was second on the squad in 3-pointers made with 40

He was second on a Junior College team that went 25-3 in three pointers made. That gives him a green light. The kid is a shooter.

Now that MBB is back, do we still have to pretend that WBB matters?

-acgclone

Starter
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 10

These players should take the wide-open three point shot any time they have it: Petersen, Eikmeier, Staiger, JVB

In fact, i'd be ticked if JVB doesn't take that shot. He was brought here to shoot and hit three point shots. Comparing JVB to Hubalek is night and day. The only thing they have in common is height. The two of them have entirely different games, and entirely different roles on this team.

All-Star
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 17

it is valuable when someone takes advantage of that void.... so far no one has. ISU's "inside game" is nonexistant.

'00 Grad
    "Can I borrow your towel, my car just hit a water buffalo" Erwin Fletcher

Pro
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,046
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41

I was disappointed with the loss yesterday. Even though I had this game as an L throughout the season, I thought ISU had a decent shot to hang tough and possibly win this game. The team wasted a really spectacular performance by Brackins. It kind of supports what many of us have been saying, the talent level of this team is simply not up to Big 12 standards. Outside of CB and DG, there are not a lot of players that can go toe to toe with the other teams in this conference.

Listen to GMacs postgame --- that is what JVB and Petey and Eik and Lucca and .... are SUPPOSED to do. GMac knew the middle was going to be packed tight and we're a jump-shooting team so we take the shot thats open and his shots were open. We had lots of open looks yesterday and if we just shoot our average we're right there.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Quote Originally Posted by fccy View Post
    Correct. When JVB was recruited, GMac wanted him because he could shoot the 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by mwitt View Post
    Vanderbeken is a better 3 point shooter than Craig.
    Thread over. Well, it should be...