Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 25

Brackins vs. Aldrich debate

was clearly settled today. Brackins is by far the better player there is no question. And to those of you who said he cant shoot 3's he was our best 3 point shooter today by far.

All-Star
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Brackins vs. Aldrich debate

Aldrich is probably more powerful, but there's no question Brackins is more versatile and can do everything well.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Completely agree. Yes Kansas got the W but this debate was settled. I hope KUcyclone has fun eating his crow.

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 576
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Brackins is better in that he is the only one capable of scoring 40 points. But Aldrich is more efficient and MUCH more consistent. I think I heard today's game was Aldrich's twelfth double-double. I wish we had both guys at ISU.

Pro
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,366
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 6

- Brackins played fantastic today. There is no denying that. There were many times this game that I was wondering why Kevin Durant decided to grow a fauxhawk and put on a ISU #21 jersey.

- Still, saying that one player is definitely better than another after one game is silly, especially when they guarded each other no more than 5 possessions each. If you want to make conclusions after one game, one could just as easy say that Cole Aldrich was better than Tyler Hansbrough after the Final Four game vs. UNC last year.

- Also, it was pretty clear what Self's defensive gameplan was. He was going to shut down Iowa State's offensive weaknesses and make Brackins score 50 if ISU were to win. It's a gameplan that's been successful for KU in the past (see here and here for a couple of examples), and ISU is a perfect team to use it against. Gaurding Brackins tonight was three freshmen and a junior who has played less than 60 minutes all season.

- Part of being a good player is consistency. Sure, Brackins looked like a lottery pick tonight. But he's also had some games where he has laid an egg. Aldrich, on the other hand, never seems to disappear. He has scored in double figures every single game this season.

- If Brackins really is better than Aldrich, it's a surprise that NBA scouts think the complete opposite. (another example)

- It might be interesting to put the question of who is the better player to Doug Gottlieb or Jay Bilas next time they do one of their online chats. I'd put $20 or as many CF credits as you want that they would pick Cole.

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by kucyclone View Post
    - Brackins played fantastic today. There is no denying that. There were many times this game that I was wondering why Kevin Durant decided to grow a fauxhawk and put on a ISU #21 jersey.

- Still, saying that one player is definitely better than another after one game is silly, especially when they guarded each other no more than 5 possessions each. If you want to make conclusions after one game, one could just as easy say that Cole Aldrich was better than Tyler Hansbrough after the Final Four game vs. UNC last year.

- Also, it was pretty clear what Self's defensive gameplan was. He was going to shut down Iowa State's offensive weaknesses and make Brackins score 50 if ISU were to win. It's a gameplan that's been successful for KU in the past (see here and here for a couple of examples), and ISU is a perfect team to use it against. Gaurding Brackins tonight was three freshmen and a junior who has played less than 60 minutes all season.

- Part of being a good player is consistency. Sure, Brackins looked like a lottery pick tonight. But he's also had some games where he has laid an egg. Aldrich, on the other hand, never seems to disappear. He has scored in double figures every single game this season.

- If Brackins really is better than Aldrich, it's a surprise that NBA scouts think the complete opposite. (another example)

- It might be interesting to put the question of who is the better player to Doug Gottlieb or Jay Bilas next time they do one of their online chats. I'd put $20 or as many CF credits as you want that they would pick Cole.
    If they saw today's game, their opinions may have changed. Brackins showed that he is a multi-dimensional player. He can score down low, mid range and from three. He can put the ball on the court. Yes, he lacks consistency, but that comes with time. Aldrich struggled against tough double teams today. Doesn't appear to have the ability to put the ball on the court. And, by the way, Aldrich was being covered a lot by a TRUE freshman that has played about 3 years of organized ball.

All-Star
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,170
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Brackins was phenominal today...he was white hot-and despite me hollering that they were bad shots as he put them up-he was dropping them today...that being said...most of his 3's were in rythym, and off penetration as opposed to contested with 25 seconds left on the shot-clock....there is a huge difference between the two...I know Craig CAN make 3's...but he needs to pick and choose a little better when to shoot them (today was an exception, as he could not miss)...wow though, did he look good today...too bad for him only Haluska, Boozer, and Vanderbeeken (to an extent) decided to show up and provide any assistance.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 692

Chanting Aldrich was funny as h*** though.

P.S. it was started by me, i got in his head.

Also collins was about to kill me, he gave me the death glare. But "No means No" collins.

Last edited by CyDude16; 01-24-2009 at 04:35 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 4

It's hard to compare the two because they're so different and have different roles. Craig is more of the risk/reward player. He has a huge ceiling, and he can absolutely carry a team. With Aldrich, you know what you are getting. He is the definition of solid.

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 137
    Given: 171

Cole shoots like a robot.

“One day we’ll be in here celebrating a Big 12 championship,” Rhoads said. “That I can promise you.”

"I hope to coach here until I retire," Hoiberg said.
    @AtownCY

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 786
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 16

It might be interesting to put the question of who is the better player to Doug Gottlieb or Jay Bilas next time they do one of their online chats. I'd put $20 or as many CF credits as you want that they would pick Cole.
    Yes ask the former Dukie who doesn't realize basketball exists outside of the ACC, or the former Cowboy who still has it out for Iowa State.

Safe bet buddy

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 10

Especially since I corresponded with the guy that wrote that evalutaion, and he hasn't seen Brackins play since the beginning of last year. ( He also thought ISU was in the Big 10, so I wouldn't take his opinion so seriously.)

Speechless
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93

Brackins is the best player for ISU, and Cole is the best player for KU. KU doesn't need any more athletes they need him to be a solid banger. ISU needs Craig to do everything and he can.

Edit: And for the record, NBAdraft.net is terrible.

Pro
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,366
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 6

Let me get this straight. Craig Brackins is way better, but the only people that think so are on this board. There is actual data and opinions outside of an ISU messave board that says Cole Aldrich is better, but these are from either the uninformed or those that hold a grudge against ISU.

cyismydog, there are two seperate sites I linked there that both have the same opinion on the matter. Did you talk to both of them? It is telling that he hasn't seen Brackins much, but those sites usually do a decent job, and both have Aldrich way higher than Brackins.

And honestly, if Doug Gottlieb had a school to hold a grudge against, I think it would be the one that had 16,300 fans chanting "SHORTS ON BACKWARDS" when he came out with a wardrobe malfunction.

Some of you are making way too many conclusions based on one game.

BryceC - good point. KU is probably a little better with Aldrich over Brackins because they have the Morris twins. ISU would be a better defensive team with Aldrich, but ISU needs Brackins to do a lot of work on the offensive end. Cole, like most low post players, works much better as a secondary scorer.

Last edited by kucyclone; 01-24-2009 at 05:25 PM.

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 10

Let me get this straight. Craig Brackins is way better, but the only people that think so are on this board. There is actual data and opinions outside of an ISU messave board that says Cole Aldrich is better, but these are from either the uninformed or those that hold a grudge against ISU.

cyismydog, there are two seperate sites I linked there that both have the same opinion on the matter. Did you talk to both of them? It is telling that he hasn't seen Brackins much, but those sites usually do a decent job, and both have Aldrich way higher than Brackins.

And honestly, if Doug Gottlieb had a school to hold a grudge against, I think it would be the one that had 16,300 fans chanting "SHORTS ON BACKWARDS" when he came out with a wardrobe malfunction.

Some of you are making way too many conclusions based on one game.

BryceC - good point. KU is probably a little better with Aldrich over Brackins because they have the Morris twins. ISU would be a better defensive team with Aldrich, but ISU needs Brackins to do a lot of work on the offensive end. Cole, like most low post players, works much better as a secondary scorer.
    Just to the givorny guy, not to the other one, but most NBA draft websites prospect profiles are not updated very often at all. Why don't you ask BrentBlum what the NBA thinks of Brackins, since he knows people in the NBA who actually scout players for team for a living.