Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 0

GBB: Linn-Mar vs. Ballard on Saturday

US Cellular Center in Cedar Rapids is hosting a series of GBB games this Saturday. Among them: 4A #1 Linn-Mar vs. 3A #1 Ballard at around 2:45 PM.

Iowa Prep Sports | State's top-rated teams facing off at Rivalry

Linn-Mar is led by Iowa signee Jamie Printy and Ballard is led by ISU signee Amanda Zimmerman. Both teams have a very strong cast of players. Linn-Mar soph Kiah Stokes had a ridiculous triple-double against CR-Wash yesterday with 16 points, 20 rebounds, and 16 blocks.

I've only seen Zimmerman play once, and that was three years ago. This should be a great game.

I've been to several Linn-Mar games now. Earlier this season I made a post saying Printy's shot was a little slow. I don't know if she's trying to make her release quicker, but it sure looks like it to me. I think she'll be an effective combo guard at Iowa.

It's odd watching Kiah Stokes play. She's tall (6'3"), lean, and athletic, but you don't see that athleticism most of the time. A lot of that might be because there just aren't that many post players that can challenge her. She doesn't usually leap for rebounds or jump high for blocks, but that's because she doesn't really need to. She posts gaudy numbers seemingly effortlessly. I'm really curious how she looks in a more competitive setting (like AAU).

Last edited by mred; 01-23-2009 at 10:57 AM.

Starter
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 412
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

Re: GBB: Linn-Mar vs. Ballard on Saturday

Kiah Stokes father is Greg, prominent player in the Geo. Raveling era at Iowa. Fennelly usually takes the one best player from Iowa, (see Lacey,Zimmerman, Arlen, Bolte, etc) but it will be hard to get this one away from Lisa in 2 years.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,142
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I would be happy to see Stokes in an ISU uniform, but I agree Iowa's the likely favorite if she stays in-state.

Iowa Prep Sports | Lions win 1 vs. 1 clash

Linn-Mar beat Ballard pretty badly. The final score was 59-41, and it wasn't even that close. Neither team was very good on offense for the first quarter, but Linn-Mar snapped out of it in the second quarter. Ballard never really got going offensively until the 4th quarter.

Printy's shooting was off the whole night, but she had some pretty nice assists. Stokes had 15 pts and 15 rebounds. Zimmerman had 22 points.

Zimmerman's usually listed as a forward, and I can see why. She has nice post moves (many of her points were on short turn-around jumpers with Stokes in her face) but also likes to play with her face to the basket. Although Stokes was on Zimmerman the whole game, Zimmerman didn't guard her much: Ballard has a pretty tall front line, and a different player was usually on Stokes.

If Zimmerman and Anna Prins both play well enough to be in the rotation for ISU next year, I think the two of them plus Arlen will make a nice post rotation. Prins would play nothing but 5, and Arlen and Zimmerman can both play 4 or 5. The only other post players ISU will have next year are Genesis Lightbourne (who showed last season that she's able to play 8-10 mpg reasonably well if needed) and Chelsea Poppens, who I don't know a whole lot about but is putting up 22 and 16 for A-P this season so she could be a factor next year as well.

Starter
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 667
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 45

Quote Originally Posted by mred View Post
    I would be happy to see Stokes in an ISU uniform, but I agree Iowa's the likely favorite if she stays in-state.
    I did read that Stokes use to go over to Zimmerman's house to play basketball when they were younger. Zimmerman was originally from CR before moving to Ballard. There is a foot in the door now Bill needs to go steal her away.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,142
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Brenda Frese was apparently in attendance for the CR Washington game according to an article I read. It sounded like she was there to be recognized for something (she's a CR-Wash grad) but she talked to the Linn-Mar coach after the game. When Stokes went 16-20-16, there's not a whole lot of question what they were talking about. :)

Her stats are great now, but Stokes has a huge ceiling. She's improved a lot from last year (from what I hear -- I wasn't around to watch last season) and she's still only a sophomore. She's going to get a lot of high-major attention.

EDIT: It was actually a blog post, not an article: Linn-Mar vs CR_Washington. It's the blog of CR Gazette sportswriter Jeff Linder, so it's not some random guy making up stuff.

Last edited by mred; 01-27-2009 at 02:18 PM.

Walk On
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by mred View Post
    If Zimmerman and Anna Prins both play well enough to be in the rotation for ISU next year, I think the two of them plus Arlen will make a nice post rotation. Prins would play nothing but 5, and Arlen and Zimmerman can both play 4 or 5.
    Anna is a very good 3 point shooter, top two on her team ( in practice). She made 2 out of 3 a couple weeks ago. Very good at the line too.

Not getting much playing time though with many lopsided games, including a 91 - 9 score. The starters have only played in the 4th quarter twice this season. So the average stats are not a good indicator of talent.