Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 5

Positioning for Field Goals

Saw that Okie State won on a field goal against Bama. The Okie State coach states that it took a couple plays but they got the ball in the middle of the field for the winning attempt.

Can't help but flashing back to ISU's game against Mizzou when Culbertson missed that 22 yarder that would have won North title outright. I remember the horrendous angle from the far right hash mark made even more horrendous by the closeness of the attempt. Why didn't Mac try to run a play to the middle of the field to make the attempt easier? Culbertson was always money when ball was in the middle. Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but Mac certainly did some really DUMB things which in the end would snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. I always wondered why Mac never tried to position the ball to make FG attempts easier when faced with longer third down yardage or end of game situations. With the extra time on his hands, I am sure Mac is pondering this himself.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Positioning for Field Goals

I watched that field goal the Okie State made to win also. What this reminded me of was back in 2001 when Yelk "missed" a field goal that would have won us the Independence Bowl against Bama that year. I was down at that game, it looked good at the time and looked good on Sportscenter that night. Oh well.

Facebook Knows All
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 23

Quote Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
    Culbertson was always money when ball was in the middle. Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but Mac certainly did some really DUMB things which in the end would snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. I always wondered why Mac never tried to position the ball to make FG attempts easier when faced with longer third down yardage or end of game situations. With the extra time on his hands, I am sure Mac is pondering this himself.
    Culbertson missed a 28(?) yarder to seal the this year's Missouri game and that one was right down the middle...he has missed game winner/sealer several times from the right hash, left hash, center, it doesn't seem to matter. It just seams that he can't make a big kick to save his life...

But you are spot on about Mac...we never try to get the ball in the middle of the field. Why? I have no idea. Mac always seemed like he was asking for a poor kicking game by never recruiting kickers (still haven't figured that one out) but just add this to the list that doesn't put kickers in the best possible position to make a field goal.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 41

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    Culbertson missed a 28(?) yarder to seal the this year's Missouri game and that one was right down the middle...he has missed game winner/sealer several times from the right hash, left hash, center, it doesn't seem to matter. It just seams that he can't make a big kick to save his life...
    Exactly.

I agree we could have set our kicker up better on a couple instances, yet we can't run every play just for the sake of a better field goal attempt. Sometimes, we do actually want to celebrate in the end zone.

All-Star
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 269
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 2

As you see so many game winning kicks being made/attempted, I think coaches should take note and realize that a good kicker is so darn important. They always come into the game when points are directly involved. It's a scholly well spent.

I agree that Mac should have used play calls to set up field position as well, but the larger issue is the recruitment of the guys with the legs.

Facebook Knows All
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by tube1 View Post
    As you see so many game winning kicks being made/attempted, I think coaches should take note and realize that a good kicker is so darn important. They always come into the game when points are directly involved. It's a scholly well spent.

I agree that Mac should have used play calls to set up field position as well, but the larger issue is the recruitment of the guys with the legs.
    If Mac recruited a solid kicker, I would agrue that he would still have his job. You give out 85 scholarships...many to players who barely step out on the field...I never understood why you didn't recruit a position that can win (or in Mac's case, lose) many games.

Addict
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,476
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 4

kickers are just risky pprospects. a kid in high school could make 99 out of 100 kicks and have the full support of his city, but then goes to college and misses 1 important kick and he's screwed. they lose confidence in themselves very easily it seems, so a great kicker can turn into a bad one overnight. Mike Vanderjagt for example.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Of course you guys are right, we don't put our kickers in a good position.

But it goes beyond lining up in the middle of the field. The Mizzou game you mentioned is an excellent case in point. The O had the ball and was moving a near will. Ryan Koch had runs of 9, 5, 2, 4, 5, 10, 2 and 2 leaving us w/ 3rd and goal at the two. So what do we do? No, not give it to our RB who only needed to match his worst rush of the series for TD. No instead we run a naked bootleg with our QB who trips on grass over 2 inches tall. Loss of 9.

Play calling and the willingness to "settle" for the FG has always been a problem, and a big reason why Mac didn't make it past the season.

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    If Mac recruited a solid kicker, I would agrue that he would still have his job. You give out 85 scholarships...many to players who barely step out on the field...I never understood why you didn't recruit a position that can win (or in Mac's case, lose) many games.

You can make the same argument the last 5 years about finding a solid running back. Hicks was the only back in the 2002 class, and there were no backs in 2003. Then in 2004 he had the class with several backs but none panned out (Coleman, Gunn, Thompson, Patrick, Scales). 2005 brought in Harris & Rocker. If Webster Patrick had made grades, I think our offense would have been a lot more explosive and who knows how many more wins we would have. The line deserves some of the blame, but not all of it. You can't start a running back without running back speed, and little power and get away with it for 4 years. When it comes down to it we haven't had a good back since Haywood, and teams have not had to respect the running game in 6 years.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 121

Did you see that one Stevie breakaway just before halftime in the Oklahoma game? That was his career run and then we could not utilize the clock to make to worth anything. Story of mac playcalling. OMportunity Lost. Maybe antsy Mac can get a job in the MAC. Just leave the cotton home.

Last edited by Wesley; 12-31-2006 at 11:31 PM.
    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 208
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

If Mac runs the ball to the middle of the field and we still miss the field goal everyone would critize the call for not going for the end zone. The bottom line any call is the right one if it works and it stinks if it doesn't. As for the bootleg Iowa fans still talk about Chuck Long's naked bootleg against Michigan for the winnning touchdown. If the defensive end stays home and sacks Long, Fry would have been called an idiot because Long was not any kind of a runner. Again if it works great call coach if it doesn't fire the bum.

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    If Mac runs the ball to the middle of the field and we still miss the field goal everyone would critize the call for not going for the end zone. The bottom line any call is the right one if it works and it stinks if it doesn't. As for the bootleg Iowa fans still talk about Chuck Long's naked bootleg against Michigan for the winnning touchdown. If the defensive end stays home and sacks Long, Fry would have been called an idiot because Long was not any kind of a runner. Again if it works great call coach if it doesn't fire the bum.
    True, but the only problem is that the bad coaches like Mac seem to always be "unlucky" and the good coaches across the country seem to make the call that works more often than not.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

The 22 yard miss was actually Hicks' fault I think they said. The play was designed up the middle, but he thought he had some daylight to the right but came up short and left us on the right hashmark...

Go Cyclones!

Facebook Knows All
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneSteel View Post
    The 22 yard miss was actually Hicks' fault I think they said. The play was designed up the middle, but he thought he had some daylight to the right but came up short and left us on the right hashmark...

Go Cyclones!
    That may be true but I'm pretty sure missing a 22 yard Field Goal (that's 2 yards longer than an extra point) is entirely the kicker's fault unless it's blocked or a bad snap (which neither happened).

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 41

When in doubt, blame Stevie!

Cy-law?