Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 26

1700 The Champ?

Didn't this station carry a Cyclone show of some sort- I'm thinking Wednesdays at 6PM with BJ Schaben??? What happened to it? I've tuned in the last few weeks only to hear ESPN programming. I finally looked online at their programming and I don't see anything Cyclone-related. I see some Hawk programming, of course.

1700 The Champ

I was hoping to finally make a full transition away from 1460 KXNO. Cotlar and Company are absolutely awful. It's amazing that a guy who possesses about the same amount of sports knowledge as your average couch potato can have a radio show. Sure, he has national connections, but I don't care to hear Tom Lemming try to talk about our recruiting class as if he's actually studied it in-depth. Get Paul Clark on if you want some real info.

Jon Miller is the same old story: he can't decide weather he wants to be "fair and balanced" or a smarmy Hawk fan who takes pot shots at Iowa State for 2 hours. You get a little of both depending on the day.

Marty and Miller are entertaining if you don't take them too seriously, but they really lack substance. They did about a 30-minute segment yesterday on men getting massages/manicures/pedicures. Wow.

I demand better!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 601
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: 1700 The Champ?

I'm not sure about the cyclone show but 1700 is the way to go. I love listening to mike and mike on the way to work. I'm not sure how the people that have a show on KXNO are still there because I have never heard anyone say they like the people on it (except hawk fans that love miller). I miss deace on KXNO. I think that miller should get a co-host that is all cyclones, at least it would balance things out.

Starter
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 927
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneryan View Post
    I'm not sure about the cyclone show but 1700 is the way to go. I love listening to mike and mike on the way to work. I'm not sure how the people that have a show on KXNO are still there because I have never heard anyone say they like the people on it (except hawk fans that love miller). I miss deace on KXNO. I think that miller should get a co-host that is all cyclones, at least it would balance things out.
    I do enjoy the national programming on 1700. There are some good shows with intelligent discussion. However, I like to hear some local programming as well. Unfortunately, our local options are very limited and we have to settle for average to below average quality.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 705
    Given: 674

I heard BJ's show once...it was great.

@RandomGeoFacts

Starter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mjones34 View Post
    I heard BJ's show once...it was great.
    I never had an opportunity to listen, but I heard nothing but good things about it. Could it have been canceled already??? Perhaps Schaben found something else to do with his time.

Pro
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 21

Shaben did the Mizzou game this weekend didnt he? Or was it the Nebbie game on Wednesday, maybe since conference basketball has kicked in his is busy with TV stuff.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day".-Frank Sinatra

@cyfert26 on Twitter

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 320
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

He did call the Nebraska game on Wednesday night. That most likely conflicted with his show on 1700. Since I think it is live.

Wide Right & Natty Lite - Loyal Sons, Forever True. With beer!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 304

The worst thing to happen to clone fans...radio-wise, is when deace left sports to do right winger political fulltime...I hear deace's show is doing miserable in the ratings according to martha tyrell!!

"Iowa State's athletic department is worthless"...quoting Martha Tyrell

"I really dont want to bash Iowa State but I just cant resist"...quoting Martha Tyrell

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 189
    Given: 122

Quote Originally Posted by psychlone99 View Post
    Didn't this station carry a Cyclone show of some sort- I'm thinking Wednesdays at 6PM with BJ Schaben??? What happened to it? I've tuned in the last few weeks only to hear ESPN programming. I finally looked online at their programming and I don't see anything Cyclone-related. I see some Hawk programming, of course.

1700 The Champ

I was hoping to finally make a full transition away from 1460 KXNO. Cotlar and Company are absolutely awful. It's amazing that a guy who possesses about the same amount of sports knowledge as your average couch potato can have a radio show. Sure, he has national connections, but I don't care to hear Tom Lemming try to talk about our recruiting class as if he's actually studied it in-depth. Get Paul Clark on if you want some real info.

Jon Miller is the same old story: he can't decide weather he wants to be "fair and balanced" or a smarmy Hawk fan who takes pot shots at Iowa State for 2 hours. You get a little of both depending on the day.

Marty and Miller are entertaining if you don't take them too seriously, but they really lack substance. They did about a 30-minute segment yesterday on men getting massages/manicures/pedicures. Wow.

I demand better!!
    Cotlar was on his Drake bandwagon today and it was hard to listen too, so I turned it off. I keep giving Miller a shot but he keeps blowing it. DP is hard to listen to on KXNO becuase all they do is run Miller promos that are about how great Iowa is and how the players repsent the PEOPLE of Iowa, I think I will stop at that.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Starter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    ... all they do is run Miller promos that are about how great Iowa is and how the players repsent the PEOPLE of Iowa...
    Oh man, that whole discussion about made me vomit. For those of you who didn't hear it, kingcy is talking about comments that were made by an Iowa football player prior to their bowl game. I don't remember who it was, but the player was talking about how SC players were all under dressed (jean shorts and whatnot) while Iowa's players were all wearing their matching Iowa warmups. The Hawk player said this because the Hawkeyes are trying to represent the state of Iowa and its people, basically insinuating that they had more class.

Miller apparently didn't see the irony in this statement when he brought it up on his show. I'm sure their warmups are nice and all, but your dress means nothing when you play for a team that had about a fifth of its roster arrested in less than two years. How 'bout you try representing Iowa and our values by keeping your arrest rate under 1 per month. That would be a good start. In the meantime, keep your self-centered, arrogant comments about "representing" certain states and groups of people to yourself. I was shocked that Miller even brought it up, the comments were so freakin' ridiculous.

...Rant over.