Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Coach Mac

Just saw this article in the Register.

About what I expected, except for the fact he may land in the NFL. I wonder how his "rah-rah" style would fly in the pro's. Suppose he'd be a D-line coach?

Otherwise, would he be a good fit at Central Michigan?

Should be interesting to see where he ends up...

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Coach Mac

McCarney can run a program, but what he can't do is coach on gameday. If I were the AD at Central Michigan, the last guy I would hire is McCarney. They should hire their interim coach to keep the momentum going...

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 121

Mac could recruit Illinois and Michigan for CMU. And who would be his two main assistants. Skaldany is gone and Barney is selling Cotton.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 23

I hope that wherever Mac lands, that he leaves Barney at home.

Starter
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 455
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Barney Cotton would find a way to lose to the drake football team if he was coaching USC against them. That man belongs in the fast food business or something. He definately has no business at all coaching an offensive line!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,058
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 6

McCarney can run a program, but what he can't do is coach on gameday.

This was Mac's biggest down fall and I am not sure if it was Mac or his asst. coaches, but over the years I have lost more hair watching Mac's teams than anything else. One thing that always drove me nuts was Mac punting on 4h and 1 at the other teams 40 yard line or running a real conservitive play to set up a field goal! I am far from being a head FB coach, but Mac could never sense the moment in a game when you have to go for it, take a chance. The only game I remember where the Clones had a chance to win and he really went out on a limb was the last game he coached.

After watching TX play defense last year, I don't think we have to worry about Chezik being too conservative.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

McCarney can run a program? Come on!

This guy couldn't hire good assistants, couldn't recruit, couldn't develop talent, couldn't gameplan, couldn't motivate his players, couldn't call plays, and couldn't make game time adjustments. As far as I can tell, these are the things that are important in "running a program".

About the only thing this guy was good at was self-promotion and limiting expectations...it appears you all bought in! Unfortunately for him, the decision makers who hire coaches haven't!

He will be lucky to get a coordinator slot at a decent college program or a position coach slot in the NFL. My guess is that he will be off the field for a while.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

McCarney will get a job somewhere, maybe a coordinator position or a head coaching job at a lower school. What really limits him though is his win/loss record, especially in the Big 12. People look at that especially the boosters of school and are scared off I think. But somebody will take a chance on him like ISU did over a decade ago. He may be out a year but he will get another chance. I hope he does.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyBandCG View Post
    McCarney will get a job somewhere, maybe a coordinator position or a head coaching job at a lower school. What really limits him though is his win/loss record, especially in the Big 12. People look at that especially the boosters of school and are scared off I think. But somebody will take a chance on him like ISU did over a decade ago. He may be out a year but he will get another chance. I hope he does.
    I don't think that it is the win/loss record that hurts him so much as the way that he lost games with his inability to put teams away, or, for that matter, take chances to win games.

He needs to stay out of the game for awhile, and give AD's that potentially may want to hire him time to forget about all of the games that his "style" caused his teams to lose. After a period of time he can come back, especially if GC is successful, and then piggyback on that to show that he started it (much like he did for many years with the watered down bowl system). He may be able to sell that to an AD, but not one in any trouble.

He should go be a defensive coordinator for several YEARS, then try to repackage himself down the road. I don't think that any BCS school will ever hire him as HC, but he could get a job like Middle Tennesee State. Then he can tell them how lucky they are to have him.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 671
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone#1 View Post

This guy couldn't hire good assistants, couldn't recruit, couldn't develop talent, couldn't gameplan, couldn't motivate his players, couldn't call plays, and couldn't make game time adjustments. As far as I can tell, these are the things that are important in "running a program".

About the only thing this guy was good at was self-promotion and limiting expectations...it appears you all bought in! Unfortunately for him, the decision makers who hire coaches haven't!

He will be lucky to get a coordinator slot at a decent college program or a position coach slot in the NFL. My guess is that he will be off the field for a while.
    Perhaps you're exaggerating a bit... or you don't remember the 9-3 season in 2000. Or that winning record he had against Iowa. Or the guys he recruited who are now playing on Sundays. I would generally think that someone who hired terrible assistants and couldn't develop players couldn't turn a perennial 3-win team into an annual bowl contender, that someone with no ability to gameplan or motivate players wouldn't have so much success against Iowa, and someone who couldn't recruit / develop players wouldn't have anyone in the NFL. Unless he did all of that through self-promotion and limiting expectations.

I'm not saying that he should still be coaching at ISU, but let's not paint him to be the worst coach in the history of organized sports.

Pro
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 590
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I'm sorry but I am going to have to dissagree with you on most counts. I just have too much respect for Dan.

--Luck of the Cyrish--

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up

You are pretty ignorant of the facts my friend. Mac was a top D Coordinator before coming to ISU and revived the ISU FB program from the WORST in the country. People talk about the "next level", well MAC took us about 6 or 7 levels from where we were when he stated. Unfortunately, he could not get us to the next "next level".

Mac will land on his feet somewhere and be a great hire for some team either as a head coach or coordinator.

Legend
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

How many top 20 teams did MAC coached teams play and how many did they defeat? MAC was probably given more opportunities than any other BCS college coach. As for taking us to the next level, ISU was the worst team in the Big 12 this year and the future looked every bit as bleak.

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by alaskaguy View Post
    How many top 20 teams did MAC coached teams play and how many did they defeat? MAC was probably given more opportunities than any other BCS college coach. As for taking us to the next level, ISU was the worst team in the Big 12 this year and the future looked every bit as bleak.

How many top 20 teams has ISU EVER beat in the history of ISU FB?? If you want to judge coach by top 20 wins, we have never had a good coach.

JP decided Mac had done all he could at ISU, which was a lot, and decided we needed to make a change to continue to progress.

Sure this season we went the wrong direction and that was probably the deciding factor for the change, but you are completely wrong if you ignore the progress the ISU FB program made under the direction of Mac. Without the sucess Mac had here we would not have been able to attract a coach with the resume of GC. Without Mac we may still have been the worst FB program in the COUNTRY, let alone the Big XII.

Legend
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Ed,

You are absolutely wrong. When I went to school in the 70's ISU beat Nebraska two years in a row. Both years Nebraska was ranked in the top five. People that think that MAC did so much have very low expectations.