Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,402
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 45

"Adjusted Star Rating" and how ISU can compete using experience in years to come

I've seen people post the same stuff over and over about other teams having young players too, but I seriously don't get what they can't understand about experience being huge for ISU. Our younger players (save Brackins) aren't leaving early for the NBA, so given experience they will get better while many of the other teams' best players leave. If we get 3-4 of these type of players in each class, within a couple of years we'll have pretty solid experience each year and be able to compete well with teams that have more talent and less experience.

While star ratings aren't perfect, I would say in a typical program you "add a star" for each year in the program that a player spends with improvement. So if Kansas has 3 5 star freshmen and 2 4 star sophomores in their starting lineup they have a total of 25 stars on the court. By contrast, our 5 star sophomore, 1 star senior walk on, 2 3 star sophomores, and 2 star freshman give us 20 stars on the court. In a year, those studs at KU will likely be replaced with similar players because of players going to the draft (obviously with some irregular years) and will again be around 25 stars. Our players will have one additional year of experience, and our senior 1 star will be likely replaced by a sophomore 3 star (Buckley) or a freshman 4 star (Colvin). All of the other positions should improve a star, moving us to 24 stars (no idea where a JUCO addition like Gilstrap would fit in) and putting us in position to compete with the upper echelon of the Big 12.

I realize this doesn't work perfectly every year, but hopefully you understand what I'm trying to say

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

Starter
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: "Adjusted Star Rating" and how ISU can compete using experience in years to come

Well put, exactly what i was thinking, but couldnt figure out how to say it.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 327
    Given: 265

Re: "Adjusted Star Rating" and how ISU can compete using experience in years to come

We will be counting stars on Saturday when we play Kansas.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Thumbs Up

I agree that experience is important, but the way you're saying it just doesn't make sense. Recruiting stars mean absolutely nothing, therefore putting that into the equation of how good a team is seems ridiculous.

Thumbs Up

This sounds like a bunch of babble. I don't think stars work that way and i'm not sure how you came to that conclusion.

@LeSchmick

XBox Live: Le Schmick

Rookie
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 139
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

ya know adding stars and subtracting stars doesnt amount to wins...and i think that is all everyone wants! how bout we put the math away and just win!

All-Star
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 5

Coming up with crazy and wacky ways to make yourself feel better about the team now?

NHL teams need to be added to the favorite teams section.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonepower02 View Post
    I agree that experience is important, but the way you're saying it just doesn't make sense. Recruiting stars mean absolutely nothing, therefore putting that into the equation of how good a team is seems ridiculous.
    I'm not saying stars alone equate to wins, but it definitely helps for a starting point. There's a reason programs sign as many 5 stars as they can and that most of them go to the elite programs.

I also don't think there's any arguing either that each year that goes by in a D1 program a player adds some amount of weight, strength, agility, and to some degree athleticism, as well as a couple of moves and hopefully some additional shooting range. If they had these improved abilities coming out of high school, they would obviously be rated higher.

I'm not trying to say that the formula is exact as there are definite differences from player to player, but some people here seem to have no understanding about the importance of our players youth vs. experience, especially given the fact that other teams in the conference regularly play young players (because they are elite talents). Once our solid players (who are not elite 5 star players that are 1 and done or 2 and done) get a year (or two or three) in the program, they get closer to the abilities of the elite younger players that the best teams in our league regularly get, hence improving our chances to beat these teams and our overall record.

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 666
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 25

So you are a saying a top ten recruit, should be considered equal to a guy with 3 stars?

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Swanson10 View Post
    Coming up with crazy and wacky ways to make yourself feel better about the team now?
    Nah just trying to help you and your nutjob friends (who wait for every loss to jump all over the team/coaching staff/etc) to understand why we aren't undefeated and top 10 quite yet....

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by tigershoops31 View Post
    I'm not saying stars alone equate to wins, but it definitely helps for a starting point. There's a reason programs sign as many 5 stars as they can and that most of them go to the elite programs.

I also don't think there's any arguing either that each year that goes by in a D1 program a player adds some amount of weight, strength, agility, and to some degree athleticism, as well as a couple of moves and hopefully some additional shooting range. If they had these improved abilities coming out of high school, they would obviously be rated higher.

I'm not trying to say that the formula is exact as there are definite differences from player to player, but some people here seem to have no understanding about the importance of our players youth vs. experience, especially given the fact that other teams in the conference regularly play young players (because they are elite talents). Once our solid players (who are not elite 5 star players that are 1 and done or 2 and done) get a year (or two or three) in the program, they get closer to the abilities of the elite younger players that the best teams in our league regularly get, hence improving our chances to beat these teams and our overall record.

I see what you mean by good programs signing 5 star player - they are the best. But when it comes to the season every player has an equal chance to be the best.

For instance - Adam Morrrison didnt have a single star, but he ended up being the best player of his class.

And I don't know for sure either that you automatically gain a star each year. Thats like saying a 1 star player who is now a senior is equivelant to the number one freshman in the country. Usually not the case.

I see the overall point though, and I will say I agree. I'm just one to critique - so sorry.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The guys that get 5 stars, are more than always deserving of them and are elite players that have a component of their game that is much better than the rest of the class.

All-Star
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 5

Nah just trying to help you and your nutjob friends (who wait for every loss to jump all over the team/coaching staff/etc) to understand why we aren't undefeated and top 10 quite yet....
    Look at any of my previous posts about the Bball team and tell me what I expected from them. Cause I am certainly not jumping ship, I have started to find a bit of humor in how bad they play sometimes.

NHL teams need to be added to the favorite teams section.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I see what you mean by good programs signing 5 star player - they are the best. But when it comes to the season every player has an equal chance to be the best.

For instance - Adam Morrrison didnt have a single star, but he ended up being the best player of his class.

And I don't know for sure either that you automatically gain a star each year. Thats like saying a 1 star player who is now a senior is equivelant to the number one freshman in the country. Usually not the case.

I see the overall point though, and I will say I agree. I'm just one to critique - so sorry.
    No way does every player have an equal chance to be the best when the season comes. Players are ranked highly for a reason (their God given abilities and where they're at coming out of high school). Blake Griffin and Sean Haluska don't have even footing to start the season out.

I would agree that stars don't mean a player is going to be the best, they have to work had to earn it on the court, but being an elite talent definitely gives you an edge.

Also I never said a 1 star senior would be the equivalent of the #1 freshman. I just said the 4 years would give them improvement and bring them closer to elite freshman/sophomore talent...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

No way does every player have an equal chance to be the best when the season comes. Players are ranked highly for a reason (their God given abilities and where they're at coming out of high school). Blake Griffin and Sean Haluska don't have even footing to start the season out.

I would agree that stars don't mean a player is going to be the best, they have to work had to earn it on the court, but being an elite talent definitely gives you an edge.

Also I never said a 1 star senior would be the equivalent of the #1 freshman. I just said the 4 years would give them improvement and bring them closer to elite freshman/sophomore talent...
    Ya you cant say everyone has the same chance to be the best its simply not true. And cyclonepower02 example of adam morrison doesnt work because he gained alot of experience before he got to be so great. And there is always going to be a few diamonds in the rough..