Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 825
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 0

Chizik will have 20 solid recruits by....

It's too quiet is Cyclone country to think little is happening on the recruiting front. I believe Chizik had a plan in place for this years recruiting class before he took the job, and he's in the middle of it right now. He will have 20 solid recruits by the end of this month, and probably close to 30 for the year. Just as Pollard kept his cards close to the vest, so will Chizik. He may not get top rated players from the two services, but they will be players he wants and feels will play for him. Too much time was spent in the hiring process for the needs of the team not to be addressed. I'm confident he and Pollard went down the list player by player of who Mac was recruiting and ideas Chizik had for ISU.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

Re: Chizik will have 20 solid recruits by....

Thatt'd be absolute magic. I'd be surprised with more than 17.

Starter
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 658
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 1

I'd Be Surprised If We Fill all 25 Scholarships

With limited time to develop relationships, I'd be surprised if we sign a full class of 25 kids. About the only way I see that happening is if the staff had strong relationships with kids prior to coming to Ames or if they go heavily the JUCO route.

Afterall Chizik was recruiting a whole different level of kid at Texas- basically 4&5 star Texas kids. The d-coordinator was out of coaching. So unless the o-coordinator feels some kids he was recruiting at SF Austin can play in the Big 12- I don't see this being a huge class.

The key to next season is GC & staff keeping the kids currently on campus on campus. If he can then bring in some JUCO OL & DL prospects- I think we'll be OK next year.

I'd love for GC to surprise me with this year's class, but I'll give him a mulligan for this year. Next year will be a key.

Walk On
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Coach Chizik has a plan and he wants to see a big improvement next year. He will get 25 recruits by signing day.

Some of the kids he and his assistants are recruiting are probably good athletes flying under the radar. Recruiting databases don't catch everyone, especially kids from small schools. The coaches have probably evaluated and recruited some kids with the raw materials to be manufactured into a player for this system. If they evaluate correctly, they may not be up against a lot of recruiting pressure from other schools. Hitting JUCO ranks hard.

Interest in ISU has increased with several recruits, but I'm skeptical of the cred of Rivals and Scout database info. Jamicah Bass for example, was a 3/4-star recruit running a 4.5/40. He commits to ISU and drops to a 3-star. He de-commits to ISU, verbals to Oregon State, claims he once ran a 4.36/40 and he's a 4-star again.

ESPN Recruiting analyst, Tom Lemming, says out of every HS recruiting class 1-3% are 'special players' and everyone else is pretty much the same. It's what you do with 'em once you've got 'em. Talent and potential don't mean anything if a recruit's GPA and ACT scores are low and they become an academic casualty.

Addict
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 221
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I for sure dont know what Chizik has in mind. I dont have ESP, and cant see in the future to tell you what would happen. Even if I could, I wouldn't share it with you and instead go and win some money with this incredible gift. But instead of drowning in the shear dissappointment that it would only be a dream, I will give my two cents.

My first reaction to this comment was, it is a premature idiotic remark. I mean how could any coach come in and turn a program around like that so quickly. A school that was heading down, losing already committed players, with an incomplete staff trying to lure players to a program like this. You would have to be mad to think we can get that many in.

Well, I have a change of opinion. Here is why. Im still not saying that we will get 20 players, but the likely hood is very probable. First lets look at Iowa for a sec. In 2003, this team went 9-3 to get a bid in the Outback bowl to defeat Florida and achieve back to back ten win seasons. But this team only recieved 1 four star recruit and 9 three star recruits heading into the 2004 season with a total of 20 committs. This put Iowa #40 on the national rankings for that 2004 class. Now more offers may not have been available, but this seems low after such successful seasons.

Now lets look at Nebraska. In 2004, Bill Callahan was hired as the new coach for the Cornhuskers. They just fired Frank Solich after a rebounding season. A new coach with a big name actually makes a big splash. He pulled in 2 four star recruits and 8 three star, with a total of 23 committs, thus earning him a #38 national ranking.

The next year Iowa goes on to a 9-2 record and an impressive win over a strong LSU team. Nebrask finishes with a 5-6 record and its first losing season since 1961. But even with these outcomes, Nebraska just falls short of Iowa at a #10 national rank, and gaining 2 top 100 prospects, 1 five star, 11 four star, and 13 three star recruits.

This shows, that even a new system, new name, and a new face can really make a difference within the program. Iowa state might not have the tradition or facilites as the other two programs, but they now have the coach. And if all goes well, 20 recruits is possible, and a higher ranking class is even in the works.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

All-Star
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,141
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Bill Callahan coached in the superbowl the year before.. I didn't even know who Gene Chizik was until he was mentioned for the ISU job... Name recognition isn't going to get recruits alone...

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Chizik's name won't get him in the door like Callahan's name will.

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Chizik already said we will sign 21-25 players in this class. Most of the news will be in January because right now we are in a recruiting "dead period".

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,075
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 338

Quote Originally Posted by isu_bub View Post
    Chizik's name won't get him in the door like Callahan's name will.
    Unfortunately You're RIGHT. It looks like a four year rebuilding program if you want to win a conference title or go to a bowl game thats worth going to!

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Out of Callahan's first recruiting class there were about 10 or 12 players that had already been recruited by Solich. Callahan did builid upond that base but at least there were some players already included out of which have been contributed the past two years. Also Bill was aided by John Blake rated as one of the top recruiters in the country. And yes Bill Callahan's being a NFL coach helped get them in the door.

Addict
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 221
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Well I definitely dont think that we will make as big of a splash as Callahan did withe Nebraska, my point was I do think that 20 some recruits is possible with even a higher recruting class than what we have had in the past.

Callahan was a bigger name that is for sure. But even then, some were critical to the hiring decision after a 5-6 season. With this kind of hoopla, recruiting isnt always the easiest. Yet he still managed to pull in a top 10 recruiting class behind Ferentz who had already made a name for himself in the Big Ten and consecutive winning seasons. I think that says something.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. One thing is for certain. With the two JUCO's already signed, and seeing their athletic ability as shown on paper; this is a good start for hopefully a bright future.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 338
    Given: 240

It's going to take a while folks. Patience is the key.

I think the worst thing that could happen for Chizik would be early success. Fans would automatically increase expectations without really remembering this team is in somewhat of a rebuilding mode.

I think a win over, say Iowa, next year - could give fans false hope (see win over MN in basketball this year), only to produce letdowns later in the year. Plus, I think Iowa won't be any better - if at all - in 2007. And I'm not too impressed with some of the Big 12 teams for next year either.

We could have a decent year next year, graduate a good share of our offensive production. Fans would expect more in '08, only to suffer the growing pains of a young offensive unit.

Of course - all that is wild expectation. I just hope give Chizik at least 3-4 years before we judge him too much on wins/losses.

Last edited by ISUFan22; 12-28-2006 at 08:41 AM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 634
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 196
    Given: 90

What I expect to see is 20 to 25 guys with 8-10 JC guys, the 4 guys Mac had as recruits that have not already bailed and the rest of the class will be made up from stealing Mid-major commits from other schools, SFA players, and hopefully some guys that GC was recruiting at TX that were not quite good enough for the longhorns.

It would be foolish to expect a great class and also foolish to think that some of the guys that GC and his staff members were recruiting in there previous jobs won't become Clones.

As always, I don't get real excited about recruiting until signing day, and then excitement needs to be tempered until fall, when we see who shows up on campus and doesn't quit after the first week.

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Callahan has done a great job in recruiting JUCOs, but he has also been getting the best of the best when it comes to JUCOs. Last year Callahan got 6 of the top 50 JUCOs in the nation. This year he has 4 of the top 50 JUCO's, three of which have already signed and are enrolling this January.

The one position he has really struggled with is JUCO OL recruits. He has signed around 5 JUCO OL in the past 2 classes, but only one has had any impact, and he didn't start until week 11 this year.

He has gotten impact players at QB (Taylor, Lee****just signed), WR(Purify). Most of the impact players have been on defense: DL(Cryer and Dagunduro both started this year), LB(Octavien, great physical ability but he been hurt most of his first two years) DB(Bowman, if he's healthy,will be a top draft pick, Jones who started every game due to Bowman's injury).

Callahan has took 12 JUCO's in 2005, 8 in 2006, and will take around 7 more this year. We'll see how this all plays out. NU's had 3 **** JUCO players be complete busts, but has seen more players have a great impact on the 2 deep.

As far a Chizik, he will take at least 20 players, but he can't reach on too many. I see ISU taking around 30 players next year, very similar to what Callahan did in his first true recruiting class.

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    It's going to take a while folks. Patience is the key.

I think the worst thing that could happen for Chizik would be early success. Fans would automatically increase expectations without really remembering this team is in somewhat of a rebuilding mode.

I think a win over, say Iowa, next year - could give fans false hope (see win over MN in basketball this year), only to produce letdowns later in the year. Plus, I think Iowa won't be any better - if at all - in 2007. And I'm not too impressed with some of the Big 12 teams for next year either.

We could have a decent year next year, graduate a good share of our offensive production. Fans would expect more in '08, only to suffer the growing pains of a young offensive unit.

Of course - all that is wild expectation. I just hope give Chizik at least 3-4 years before we judge him too much on wins/losses.
    Ridiculous. Mac would have beaten Iowa next year
    and been back in bowl contention. Chizik will do the same. This is not a 4 or 5 year rebuilding job. If it was Gene Chizik would not have accepted the position. Chizik has too much riding on this job(like NFL aspirations) to walk into a loser program. He can see what some of us can see. We have a large amount of talent in the pipeline on both sides of the ball, probably better than we've ever had. Our offense is loaded and our defense has great potential and the gap betweens ones and twos is not that large(like it used to be). We competed in all the games up to and including the Texas Tech game after which it was a done deal that Mac was toast. Down at Texas we went down 16-0 in the first 5 minutes and battled back to 16-14 and were competitive the entire game despite the final score. Against Nebraska, we were within striking distance late in the game depsite getting absolutely hosed on two game changing calls. We were within two points of Tech in the 4th quarter(or late 3rd) and had chances in the 4th to win. Only after the Tech game did we fall apart and some of that had to do with multiple starters going down with injuries(like 5 starting offensive players). This team is not that far away from being a bowl team. We should start the season 4-0 with the game at Toledo being as big a chance for defeat as the game against Iowa at home. That means 2-6 or 3-5 gets us a bowl game and given our returnees on offense that is not out of the realm of possibility. Mac wasn't fired because he couldn't get us to bowl games again. He was fired because we weren't going to sell 30,000 season tickets next year with him as coach.