Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 131
    Given: 0

Wesley Coming Alive

Wesley Johnson just continues to improve. Frankly, Im shocked at how good this kid is and I really thought he was a reach considering we signed him July and he had no other offers. But look at his numbers over the last four games:

Total Points: 60, 15 per game
    Total shots: 17-36 47.2%
    3 point shots: 8-14 57.1%
    Free throws: 18-20 90%
    42 rebounds: 10.5 per game

Basically, hes averaging 15 and 10 the last four games. If you would have told me that he would do that, including games against some decent competition in Bradley and tough competition in OSU, I never would have believed it. The other thing I think is important to note is that hes only taken 36 shots in those four games (9 per) and scored 60 points. Mike Taylor has scored 63 points in that span and taken 49 shots. I think one of the most underrated stats in college basketball is the PPS (points per shot) stat because that shows that they are not only shooting well from the floor, from three, and from the free throw line, but they are efficient. Im big on efficiency.

Hes scoring 1.66 points per shot. Thats especially good for a player like Wesley who likes to spread the floor and shoot. Just wanted to give our boy some respect before conference play begins. It will be tough for him to maintain those numbers, but if he does, he could be one of the best statistical freshmen weve had at ISU.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

Re: Wesley Coming Alive

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    I think one of the most underrated stats in college basketball is the PPS (points per shot) stat because that shows that they are not only shooting well from the floor, from three, and from the free throw line, but they are efficient. Im big on efficiency.
    Thank you, thank you. I look at PPS as well. I think last year Clark had the best PPS numbers on the team.

Walk On
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 362
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I agree. When I heard 6'7" and 190lbs and getting him that late, I thought there is a wasted scholarship just to get a body. I was a ways off. He appears to be the best player on the team, and the future can be built around him. Now we just need some good big men. Hopefully Brackins helps fill that void, but that is a lot to ask about a freshman. I am still uncertain about Thompson, hopefully he has improved and continues to improve as others have stated.

Rookie
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 366
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Wesley is becoming our go to guy in which McD will base his offense for in upcoming games. You will see more screens set for WJ, and I also think you will see it free up the rest of the team when teams start sending extra help to WJ.

This year has been a greatly entertaining year, and I love seeing each of our players grow by huge strides.

Wesley Johnson has potential to be one of the best Cyclone players ever. I hope we can keep him for 4 years. I am afraid he may leave early, because it is kids with his height/wingspan and athletic ability that make NBA scouts drool.

Regardless... it is a pleasure to watch him every game!

Bench Warmer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

GMAC mentioned in a post game a few weeks ago how Dodie, Cory, and Wesley were extremely coachable and listened intently to everything he told them and busted ***** to execute the plan. You gotta love that!

Starter Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

The future is bright my friends!!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

When I talked to JP in CO the week of the CU football game - his eyes sparkled when talking about Mike Taylor - boasting Mike was our best player on the team. I felt he could be, yet stated I'd need to see him for a few games before giving him the nod over Clark.

And here is #4, "quietly" our best player. Wesley earns double-doubles in his sleep it seems. For a freshman, I kinda like that.

Bench Warmer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    When I talked to JP in CO the week of the CU football game - his eyes sparkled when talking about Mike Taylor - boasting Mike was our best player on the team. I felt he could be, yet stated I'd need to see him for a few games before giving him the nod over Clark.

And here is #4, "quietly" our best player. Wesley earns double-doubles in his sleep it seems. For a freshman, I kinda like that.
    Don't forget he's already bagged one Big 12 player of the week award and he hasn't even laced them for his first Big 12 game yet :Shocked:

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 734
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 22

on cbssportsline.com they have him ranked 105th overal and 51st for forwards

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

I like Wesley's game because he has the most consistent shooting motion on the team. It always seems like he is most focused on putting up a decent shot, and not wasting an attempt.

Addict
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

PPWS

1. Mark Currie (1.83)
    2. Ross Marsden (1.51)
    3. Wesley Johnson (1.18)
    3. Cory Johnson (1.18)
    5. Jessan Gray (1.15)
    6, Brock Jacobson (1.07)
    7. Mike Taylor (1.02)
    8. Cory McIntosh (1.00)
    9. Rahshon Clark (0.95)
    10. Dodie Dunson (0.91)
    11. Jiri Hubalek (0.87)

About this stat....
    Points per weighted shot (PPWS) is an odd name that Wonk coined last season and applied to a handy stat created by John Hollinger (The Basketball Prospectus). In effect, PPWS measures how efficiently a player translates field goal attempts and free throw attempts into points:

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CrossCyed View Post
    PPWS

1. Mark Currie (1.83)
    2. Ross Marsden (1.51)
    3. Wesley Johnson (1.18)
    3. Cory Johnson (1.18)
    5. Jessan Gray (1.15)
    6, Brock Jacobson (1.07)
    7. Mike Taylor (1.02)
    8. Cory McIntosh (1.00)
    9. Rahshon Clark (0.95)
    10. Dodie Dunson (0.91)
    11. Jiri Hubalek (0.87)
    What is the formula for the calculation?

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

http://bigtenwonk.blogspot.com/2006/...shot-ppws.html

PPWS: points per weighted shot
    PPWS = PTS/(FGA + (0.475 x FTA))

PPWS is an odd name that I coined a couple years ago and applied to a stat created by John Hollinger. In effect, PPWS measures how efficiently a player translates field goal attempts and free throws into points.

In PPWS terms, anything over 1.30 is outstanding. (Players attaining this level of scoring efficiency are often twice-blessed: they had an unusually great year shooting threes and they had teammates occupying the attention of opposing defenses.) Among Big Ten players who logged at least 15 minutes per game, last year's average PPWS was 1.09. A PPWS under 1.00 indicates a player who really struggled to get the ball in the hole.

Additional reading. Last year I mused that PPWS "is a more reliable tool for criticism than for praise."

All-Star
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Here's how I rank cyclone offense WJ>MT>RC>CJ>CM>others

WJ, imo, is the best 4 yr addition to the team. The future is just bright for ISU basketball. WJ is the kind of player that I see playing in final four, maybe in a couple years. Anything less than that is a waste of his talent.

I have seen how McD deals with MT from close at the SE MO game. McD wasn't too happy with MT at one point, they had a little chat. MT went back, made a 2 pointer - looked at McD with a smile, McD smiled back at him. What I see here is more like a father figure teaching a son how to play bb. MT maybe a little hard to coach at times, but he is much more coachable than Stinson imo.

CJ is probably the most underrated bb player on our team. McD NEEDS to give me more and more exposure. I like to see him dunk like Clark. He is great under pressure, his shot selections are smart, and he plays with confidence.

RC needs to step up! His PPS needs to be up like WJ. I am sure he will be back in track for big 12 play.

I honestly think McD is still in the process of trying different things, and its all coming together. This season has been way more enjoying than any part of the season last year. Words cannot describe how happy I am with McD. Even if we didn't have the 6 wins in a row, I would still be watching McD bb. McD, imo, outrecruited Morgan, outcoached WM and just may win us the next big 12 title in a couple years if not a final four appearance as well.

Sorry I am just too excited about cyclone basketball!

Starter
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 699
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Hey, wait a sec. I thought I was the one to lead the WJ is a stud bandwagon