Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 267
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Has McDermott already outrecruited Morgan?

I really believe he has already outrecruited him in his short time here. The play of Wes Johnson and Mike Taylor has been awesome. Keep in mind that Blalock and Stinson were recruited under the Eustachy days. So who has been the best recruit under Morgan? I would have to vote for rashon, he has been a stud. Other than that? Taggert was a bust, Tasheed Carr was very streaky. Am I forgetting someone?

Also, I think the hiring of McDermott is the best thing that could of happened for Corey Johnson. I honestly think he would be lost under the Morgan style of play.

I think the McDermott staff has already outrecruited and outcoached the previous staff in their short time here.

Just my opinion.
    ++Happy Holidays!

Drews79

Rookie
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

Re: Has McDermott already outrecruited Morgan?

Agree with most of what you said, Taylor and Johnson both have been diamonds in the rough. I disagree about Taggart, he still has alot of college basketball to play, and he had alot of talent. Being with John Calipari now at Memphis, i think he will turn out to be a good player for Memphis.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 950
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 21

well..cory johnson was a WM recruit.. yes McD kept him but stil, westbrook was going to go to iowa state but went to Min instead, and he looked like a pretty good player, not backin morgan but he did an ok recruiting, just not coaching

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

Starter Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

If you've seen Westbrook play at Minny, you would see he is to small and never going to be anything special. I assume that is why his stock dropped so much last year.

Starter
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 546
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Wink Re: Has McDermott already outrecruited Morgan?

Morgan has to be given the credit for recruiting Stinson and Blaylock for Larry E. That is why he was hired by LE after a successful recruiting run at the Cuse. Other than Tinsley, LE really did not recruit anyone. That said, the future of this basketball program is in great shape with GMAC. He really seems like a coach that has a real clue. Morgan is only a career assistant coach. He did an ok job at ISU, in fact, I really do not think his record alone was worthy of getting fired, but the direction of the program did seem very questionable at best, so I'm happy he's out.
    The future looks bright with Wes, Cory J. and Dodie.
    Go Longhorns on Dec. 30!!!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 711
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

Morgan could recruit...but he couldn't coach.

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by acody View Post
    Morgan has to be given the credit for recruiting Stinson and Blaylock for Larry E. That is why he was hired by LE after a successful recruiting run at the Cuse. Other than Tinsley, LE really did not recruit anyone. That said, the future of this basketball program is in great shape with GMAC. He really seems like a coach that has a real clue. Morgan is only a career assistant coach. He did an ok job at ISU, in fact, I really do not think his record alone was worthy of getting fired, but the direction of the program did seem very questionable at best, so I'm happy he's out.
    The future looks bright with Wes, Cory J. and Dodie.
    Go Longhorns on Dec. 30!!!!
    It is well documented that Stinson committed after Larry drove his R.V. all the way out to New York. Wayne definitely gets some of the credit as the lead recruiter for Stinson and Blaylock, but you can't say that Larry doesn't get credit when he was the one that ultimately closed the deal (before his firing), and was the one who brought Wayne in in the first place to recruit for him. Just like you have to give McDermott credit even though T.J. and the other assistants are doing most of the recruiting of our current recruits. The head coach is the CEO and ultimately gets the credit or the blame for the bad and the good, anyone who tries to break it out and not give the HC credit doesn't get college basketball recruiting IMO. All head coaches have an assistant or two that do most of their recruiting, then the head coach closes the deal.

I wouldn't say Larry recruited no one other than Tinsley. Unless you consider Horton, Sullivan, Power, Haluska, Homan, Vroman, Tyray Pearson, Stinson, and Blaylock no one. Unfortunately for old Larry, he placed a couple of big bets on Ernest Brown (6'10 260lbs - 22pts 15rpg as a Juco freshman)and Jerome Harper (6'5 McDonalds AA SG/SF) that never panned out. Brown went pro the same year as Fizer and was selected in the 2nd round by Pat Riley, and Harper never made grades. Can you imagine the lineup we would have had in 2001 if Fizer had come back for one more year, and Ernest Brown hadn't gone straight to the pros from Indian Hills? Best team in the country hands down, and its not even close. Instead we have to settle for a measly 2nd straight big 12 title!

Tinsley
    Horton/Sullivan
    Tyray Pearson/Martin Rancik
    Fizer
    Ernest Brown/Paul Shirley

Addict
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 930
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

Yeah itís too bad Larry had problems with alcohol. He really did work some magic for ISU a few years. The year we went to the Elite 8, he did such a great job of making that whole team come together. I still think the refs were paid off when we played Michigan State. The last 5 minutes of the game we have all those fouls and they have none?!

Unfortunately Larryís problems did catch up with him. I remember seeing him at a summer golf outing that last year and walking by him and saying hi. The guy looked at me like he wanted to take my head off and didnít say a word to this fan. Heíd had some drinks and I think Shane Power had just left the team, so he was in a foul mood, but hey you donít treat a fan that way!

Greg McDermott is a very genuine person and I think a good coach. He should be able to put a good product on the floor; however it will be a few years before we know how good a one. I like the fact that heís a native Iowan and wants to stay here.

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Drews79 View Post
    I really believe he has already outrecruited him in his short time here. The play of Wes Johnson and Mike Taylor has been awesome. Keep in mind that Blalock and Stinson were recruited under the Eustachy days. So who has been the best recruit under Morgan? I would have to vote for rashon, he has been a stud. Other than that? Taggert was a bust, Tasheed Carr was very streaky. Am I forgetting someone?

Also, I think the hiring of McDermott is the best thing that could of happened for Corey Johnson. I honestly think he would be lost under the Morgan style of play.

I think the McDermott staff has already outrecruited and outcoached the previous staff in their short time here.

Just my opinion.
    ++Happy Holidays!

The question is so complicated I am not sure the answer has much validity. When you look at the large numbers of Wayne's recruits that left in the transition there isn't much left. Sure Taggart/Degand/Carr and others never really contributed much to the program, but you can give a million examples of players that developed by leaps and bounds after their first year into special players. If you want to compare what is left to McDermott's current players (Rahshon, Hubalek, Gray, Marsden, Johnson vs. Johnson, Taylor, Dunson, Mcintosh) than I guess you could say Wayne was outrecruited. But I dont think that is a very fair comparison since player development is a marathon and not a sprint and his most talented players all left. When you go through Wayne's career he has an incredible track record of recruiting that goes all the way back to Derrick Coleman, Sherman Douglas, Lawrence Moten, etc. I feel bad saying it since Wayne is such a nice guy, but it seems like he will always be the perfect number 2 man for a program, but never a great number 1 (Dan McCarney Parallel anyone?) I think Wayne could outrecruit just about anyone at a program of equal standing, unfortunately he seemed to be outcoached more than his fair share of games in his short time at ISU.

Last edited by ajjohnson; 12-24-2006 at 12:57 AM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 267
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 82

P'Allen Stinnett would be an ISU commit if Morgan hadn't left and from what I've heard of his play this year, he's going to be a stud. Also, it's too early to tell what type of player Degand would have been at ISU and the same goes for Taggert.

"Of course the people don't want war ... the people can always be brought to do the bidding of the leaders. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger."
    -- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

Starter Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Stinnet would have liked to play in a loose, Morgan system. Put him in a real system and he'll need to learn to play basketball all over.

Starter Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

I think Creighton runs a "real" system. They don't play anything like Morgan did, they are always really fundemental.

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ajjohnson View Post
    It is well documented that Stinson committed after Larry drove his R.V. all the way out to New York. Wayne definitely gets some of the credit as the lead recruiter for Stinson and Blaylock, but you can't say that Larry doesn't get credit when he was the one that ultimately closed the deal (before his firing), and was the one who brought Wayne in in the first place to recruit for him. Just like you have to give McDermott credit even though T.J. and the other assistants are doing most of the recruiting of our current recruits. The head coach is the CEO and ultimately gets the credit or the blame for the bad and the good, anyone who tries to break it out and not give the HC credit doesn't get college basketball recruiting IMO. All head coaches have an assistant or two that do most of their recruiting, then the head coach closes the deal.

I wouldn't say Larry recruited no one other than Tinsley. Unless you consider Horton, Sullivan, Power, Haluska, Homan, Vroman, Tyray Pearson, Stinson, and Blaylock no one. Unfortunately for old Larry, he placed a couple of big bets on Ernest Brown (6'10 260lbs - 22pts 15rpg as a Juco freshman)and Jerome Harper (6'5 McDonalds AA SG/SF) that never panned out. Brown went pro the same year as Fizer and was selected in the 2nd round by Pat Riley, and Harper never made grades. Can you imagine the lineup we would have had in 2001 if Fizer had come back for one more year, and Ernest Brown hadn't gone straight to the pros from Indian Hills? Best team in the country hands down, and its not even close. Instead we have to settle for a measly 2nd straight big 12 title!

Tinsley
    Horton/Sullivan
    Tyray Pearson/Martin Rancik
    Fizer
    Ernest Brown/Paul Shirley
    Yeah wow that lineup would have been AMAZING! I remember a couple years ago ESPN had an article about "what if players couldn't leave early for the draft" and they had a remake a the 2001 NCAA tournament. They had ISU as a #1 seed (mentioning how dominating we would have been with Fizer and Tinsley as seniors, and Ernest Brown as our stud junior) and I think they had us losing in the national title game. I get chills thinking about that lineup.

All-Star
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 267
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 82

Quote Originally Posted by 9seven View Post
    I think Creighton runs a "real" system. They don't play anything like Morgan did, they are always really fundemental.

Also, look at how much Taylor has calmed down from his first game, although he has a long ways to go. The point of the original post was regarding Morgan's recruiting and Stinnet is a stud basketball player who would have signed with ISU, so you have to give Morgan credit for recruiting him as well.

"Of course the people don't want war ... the people can always be brought to do the bidding of the leaders. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger."
    -- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

Starter Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Psiclone View Post
    Also, look at how much Taylor has calmed down from his first game, although he has a long ways to go. The point of the original post was regarding Morgan's recruiting and Stinnet is a stud basketball player who would have signed with ISU, so you have to give Morgan credit for recruiting him as well.
    I agree with you 100% that Stinnet is going to be a great player and also that Morgan was a good recruiter. Morgan also had some tough luck with getting some studs on campus, if it wasn't grades, it was some idiot agent saying that the NBA needed the guy....