Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Pro
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Adult Baseball League

I am wondering if anyone on this site is looking to play in an Adult Baseball League in the DSM-area this summer (Mid-Iowa Baseball League)?

I really want to play, but don't know any team managers, and don't really want to try out to play on a team to be that 13th guy. If anyone here is on a team already and needs to fill spots, then let me know.

If the above isn't the case, then I was going to try to create a new team. The age groups I am eligible for is 18+ and 25+. If I try to start a team, I'd go with whichever makes sense to who wants to play. The games are played on Sunday Afternoons and are Metal Bats. Sometimes there are doubleheaders. I would be a player/manager.

Here is the basic info:
    • We need at least 13 players - everyone would get playing time. People go on vacations in the summer. I think you can bat more than 9 guys if wanted (I will check the rules for sure though).
    • Cost for the league is $2300 per team or about $175 per person. If we can find a sponsor (either full or partial) to help with the costs, we can display a patch or logo of the sponsor on the unis. The $2300 has to be paid by March 15th
    • The season runs from May until August and is about 16 games
    • If I am able to start a team, you will need to pay for your own uniform, although we will all order them together through the same vendor for a better deal. The good news about this is that if you return on the team the next year, you will get to keep your Uni (unless you really mess it up lol). We wouldn't need to purchase uniforms until closer to the season, however
    • If you have equipment (bats, batting helmet, catcher gear, etc) that you are willing to share. That's a big plus but not a requirement. We don't need 13 bats necessarily.
    As a manager (if I make a team), here's what I want:
    • A fun and competitive team. You don't have to be amazing, but I want full effort. It's more fun (to me at least) when everyone is making an effort.
    • Going along with above, I don't want to have one of those teams that boozes it up right before the game and everyone is all drunk playing. Actually, there is no tobacco or alcohol allowed on the field premises
    • Good sportsmanship. Cheering on your teammates, respectful of the umps and the other teams, etc.
    • Going along with being a good teammate, to be willing to play a position that will help the team, and be willing to bat where appropriate. Someone needs to bat 9th.
    • As a manager I would want to give players freedom in at bats. There could be specific situations where I ask you to do something. I just want guys on the team that are willing to take my advice. I just want to do what I think is best for the team. I would be open for input AFTER the game to improve my managerial skills.
    • Overall, if you try hard, are respectful, and your goal is to have fun and help the team win, there will be no issues at all.
    If you're interested, pm me the following in this format:

1. Name
    2. Date of Birth
    3. E-mail address
    4. Phone number
    5. Height (approx)
    6. Weight (approx)
    7. Knowledge of any fields we can provide on Sunday afternoons (if we can, it improves our chances)
    8. Knowledge of any certified umps who could do games in the league (if we do, it improves our chances)
    9. Positions you can play (rank each position in regards to ability and interests you are willing to play underneath. see below for example).
      1. 1b
      2. OF
      3. P
    10. Bat/Throw (which handed you are for each)
    11. Strengths
    12. Weaknesses (be honest!)
    13. Do you have equipment to share at all? (Either "yes", " No - I have equipment BUT do not want to share", or "No- I do not have equipment).
    If you have questions about any of the rules or the league, let me know. I didn't play last year but I saw quite a few games. If you love playing baseball, don't worry too much about your abilities as it's mainley for fun.

If you are on a team that needs a guy, then let me know. If I can join a team relativley easily, then I may not start a team. At the same time, if I can fill 13 spots easily, maybe I still set up a team. I have asked several people thus far, and have a free agent list of people I will contact as well. Since we're all Cyclones-fans, I will give priorty to those of you interested...

I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...

Pro
    Thumbs Up

Re: Adult Baseball League

I forgot to add - If there is a position you do NOT want to play, then let me know that as well.

I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...

Pro
    Thumbs Up

One other thing to add - I need to submit a list of 13 people by Feb 1st. If you could let me know by the 23rd, it'd be very helpful. Thanks!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I may be interested, but I am somewhat old (35).

What is the makeup of these leagues? Level of play?

I am probably better off sticking with beer league softball, but have always wanted to play baseball again.

Legend
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

The level of play varies by player. There are some really good players and some REALLY bad. There are pitchers that can still throw 80 plus and some that will struggle to hit 70. There is a pretty big drop off from the 18+ league to the 25+ league but it's all fun...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Starter
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,227
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 19

Are there any league divisions according to ability? Or does team A, whose SP pitched up through his freshman year of HS, have to face team B, whose SP pitched for Wartburg back in the day and can top out in the upper 80s?

Pro
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cys_av8r View Post
    I may be interested, but I am somewhat old (35).

What is the makeup of these leagues? Level of play?

I am probably better off sticking with beer league softball, but have always wanted to play baseball again.

I'm not entirley sure about the age thing for sure. The way I read it is 18+ and 25+ mean 18 and up and 25 and up.

As far as skill level, I'd say it's a lot of former high school guys and some former college guys as well. It can vary. Some teams look like they could get beat by a high school team. Others look pretty good. I don't think there's anyone really TOO good though. There's another more serious wood bat league that semi-pro type guys can play in.

I was afraid to join the league since I haven't played since high school really. After watching a few games last year, I determined I wouldn't look like a complete idiot playing. I may not be the greatest, but I certainley wouldn't be the worst either.

There is a 35+ wood bat league through this as well. I haven't seen any of those teams play, so I couldnt' comment on the skill level, but if you were more comfortable with guys your age, that's an option as well.

If it's allowed and you wanted to join my potential team, pm me your info as I put in my initial post..

Pro
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by psychlone99 View Post
    Are there any league divisions according to ability? Or does team A, whose SP pitched up through his freshman year of HS, have to face team B, whose SP pitched for Wartburg back in the day and can top out in the upper 80s?

There aren't division based on ability. If you have the time and are pretty good, there is a semi-pro, wood bat league that's more serious at www.dsmbl.com

What I am trying to do is put together a team with a bunch of guys like me who love to play and want to have fun

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 54

Do you know the tentative schedule or when games are typically slated to play time wise, ie. 7:00 pm?

Cyclone
    Iowa State became the Cyclones after they leveled Northwestern in 1895. As the Chicago Tribune (9/29/1895) noted:
    'Struck by a Cyclone
    It Comes from Iowa and Devastates Evanston Town'

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Almost all games are on Sundays, 1pm and 4pm with some at 7pm

Check out my blog

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

There really isn't a big difference in the talent of the 18 + MIBL and the DMSBL, alot of guys play both.

Check out my blog

Addict
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,571
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 136

I might be interested but it would depend what time and what days it is on.

#BEATIOWA

Pro
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    There really isn't a big difference in the talent of the 18 + MIBL and the DMSBL, alot of guys play both.

Good to know. I only talked (online) with some guys and they made it sound like the DMSBL was a big step up... Perhaps I misunderstood them, or they were over-talking their abilities...

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mplscyclone View Post
    Good to know. I only talked (online) with some guys and they made it sound like the DMSBL was a big step up... Perhaps I misunderstood them, or they were over-talking their abilities...
    There are alot of guys in that league that over talk their abilities.

Check out my blog

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If any of you all have any questions on either or both leagues, feel free to ask...

Check out my blog