Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 161

Tale of 2 halves...(SEMS vs. ISU Game Comments)

Just got home from the basketball game today - first half was fantastic, ended 51-27. Great defense...solid on offense with good ball movement and 11 made 3-point shots.

In the 2nd half, we didn't play near as well. Were getting beat on drives to the hoop, press bothered us and didn't select the best shots.

Some good things and some not. Enjoyed the game overall though.

Especially being we were sitting half-court, about 8 rows up. Will post some photos in the gallery.

More game observations...

Jiri played some good minutes, almost all came in the first half because SEMS when small in the 2nd. He had 9 points, was 4-5 from the field, a couple rebounds, a couple blocks, an assist and a turnover. In just 11 minutes. I'd say that's his best 11 minutes of the season - if not - his career. He did take (and make) a 3-pointer...but he was wide open. Kudos to Jiri for showing what we've expected of you. I hope this continues - if it does - Jiri has the potential to shine under G-Mac.

Mike, Mike, Mike. Another 18 points and...another 7 turnovers. His passing must improve. He telegraphed passes so bad I was yelling "NO!" before the ball left his hand - seriously. He plays like he has 2 distinct personalities and he'd be 5x better with out the bad one.

While they've got room to improve, I love watching Corey M. and Dodie play. These two seem to always have a smile on their faces and play aggressive, smart basketball. Neither are flashy, but they're consistent. It's hard to demand much more than that.

Cory J. had another nice game, yet wasn't as flashy as he was against OSU. Nothing wrong with that - Cory isn't a flashy guy. I'll gladly take his 13 points and over 50% shooting.

Brock - you dog you! Hitting 3's like they were dunks. You made it look effortless and if your first shot had released quicker - I'm betting it finds the bottom of the net too. Kudos to a guy that isn't seeing much of the floor but making the best of his minutes when called upon.

Ross played just 5 minutes. That was his only stat. Clearly he still isn't feeling well. Rest up buddy - we'll need you in January.

Jessan saw limited minutes too - just 7. I think that Jessan, Ross and Jiri saw limited minutes because of what SEMS did in the 2nd half - like I mentioned earlier. Jessan is still remaining aggressive in spite of the broken nose.

Will the real Rahshon Clark please stand up? I know you're still adjusting from "mayhem" to controlled basketball - yet I'm just not feeling it from him. Maybe he's "waiting" for Big 12 play - who knows. He's not playing bad - far from it. But I'm not impressed either. This is your team, grab it by the short and curlies!

Wesley Johnson - you play like a man among boys. 6th double-double on this short season. Dunks, high-flying rebounds, sweet shots. Oh - and you were 6-6 from the charity stripe. Only Dodie could equal that percentage (2/2) - the next closest player was 50%. Thank you - we're not worthy!

Greg, we love having you in Ames. In-game coaching? Talking to players one-on-one during the game? Amazing - did you learn this from the magic pixie dust sprinkled upon you? I honestly can't count the times he grabbed Mike, Rahshon, Dodie, Corey, etc - and coached them up. Helluva job out of our fearless leader today. Don't doubt the G-Mac!

Last edited by ISUFan22; 12-23-2006 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Added player-by-player thoughts

All-Star
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 699
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 0

Re: Tale of 2 halves...

Good analysis, I saw the same thing.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254
    Given: 94

I think someone just got fouled again...

The second half was riddled with poor defense and fouling (on both ends).

The first half was very enjoyable to watch from a fan's perspective. The second half left a little to be desired...

Especially from the 12 row in the corner balcony. Sorry, I dont have any photos to post...

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

There were two odd parts to the game today...

"Illegal Inbounding"

SEMS got the ball and needed to inbound. Apparently, they did so before the officials were ready - and everyone else. They play was called dead and they were forced to go back and do it again.

By instinct I yelled "CHEATERS!". Happened to be at the second everyone became quiet. Everyone heard me - I even saw G-Mac turn around. Oops.

"Timeout Tango"

In the last 2 minutes, when the game was clearly decided - each team called 2 timeouts I think. Most of them coming in the final minute. Ours came as a result of a captured loose ball and an inbounds play nearly taking too long. I really don't know why SEMS called theirs - but still - all of it was silly and strung out a game that was over from the start.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    Especially from the 12 row in the corner balcony. Sorry, I dont have any photos to post...
    We moved down. Well...we started down in the lower seats - our normal ones are in the corner - 9 or 10 rows up.

Ya should have come down - we had plenty of seats next to us.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254
    Given: 94

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    We moved down. Well...we started down in the lower seats - our normal ones are in the corner - 9 or 10 rows up.

Ya should have come down - we had plenty of seats next to us.
    We've done that before this season. I was so used to sitting in the first few rows in the student section that sitting way up in the balcony was awful. After a few games, I actually kinda like it up there. You can really see plays develop. They aren't center court seats but they are much better than I had originally thought they would be.

Rookie
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 424
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

Hahahaha , ISU fan that was you? It seemed like you yelled at the worst time, because everyone was confused with what was going on so noone was talking.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Yeah, I agree - balcony is not near as bad as I anticipated. Just taking advantage of the great seats while they last.

Quote Originally Posted by Goclones1727 View Post
    Hahahaha , ISU fan that was you? It seemed like you yelled at the worst time, because everyone was confused with what was going on so noone was talking.
    Yeah - I couldn't have "timed" that any better...lol

'Cept for the stare I got from the wife. Fun-sponge....

We did have our CF shirts on today though!

Last edited by ISUFan22; 12-23-2006 at 07:11 PM.