Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Speechless
    Points: 394,644, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    57,827
    Points
    394,644
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 409
    Given: 296

    Oil Tankers Parked at Sea Waiting for Oil to Rise in Price

    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/15/bu...5oil.html?_r=1

    Some producing countries are trying to force that rise by using the tankers to withhold oil from the market, while traders are trying to profit by buying cheap oil now to store and sell at a higher price later. Oil storage has become so popular that onshore tank capacity is becoming scarce.


    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 86,655, Level: 91
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 795
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hudson, Iowa
    Posts
    8,101
    Points
    86,655
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

    Re: Oil Tankers Parked at Sea Waiting for Oil to Rise in Price

    I just don't feel sorry for these guys at all...



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 86,332, Level: 91
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 1,118
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    BigBake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    U'dale
    Posts
    5,557
    Points
    86,332
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 48

    Re: Oil Tankers Parked at Sea Waiting for Oil to Rise in Price

    good old supply and demand.
    Posted via Mobile Device



  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 48,047, Level: 67
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 303
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Bubbahotep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    3,519
    Points
    48,047
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Oil Tankers Parked at Sea Waiting for Oil to Rise in Price

    Looks like now would be the perfect time to launch the filthy whore, any crew volunteers? Let's go pirating!


    “There have been a lotta tough guys. There have been pretenders. And there have been contenders. But there is only one king.”

  5. #5
    Walk On
    Points: 8,406, Level: 27
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    sheldon
    Posts
    145
    Points
    8,406
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Oil Tankers Parked at Sea Waiting for Oil to Rise in Price

    if you think is something new, stroll on down to Houston harbor
    and check out the shiploads of urea. The Ag chemical supply foks
    in the US are hoping to keep the price propped up long enough
    this spring so they can sell off their their prebought nitrogen before
    the news gets out to Farmer J.Q. Public that the market has really
    fallen flat.

    It's selling for 300 or so a T on the boat and I know a guy that's
    selling it (albeit at 5000 acre increments hehe) for 450 in the midwest.

    They can talk about demand all they want but when farmers
    figure out that there's a supply they'll be singing a different
    tune from the 650+ a ton they're singing now.

    m.



  6. #6
    Legend
    Points: 386,190, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    23,651
    Points
    386,190
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 465
    Given: 310

    Re: Oil Tankers Parked at Sea Waiting for Oil to Rise in Price

    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbahotep View Post
    Looks like now would be the perfect time to launch the filthy whore, any crew volunteers? Let's go pirating!

    Im in. Will there be filthy whores too?



  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 64,925, Level: 79
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,525
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyclonesrule91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Waukee
    Posts
    4,923
    Points
    64,925
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 64

    Re: Oil Tankers Parked at Sea Waiting for Oil to Rise in Price

    Quote Originally Posted by moo-u View Post
    if you think is something new, stroll on down to Houston harbor
    and check out the shiploads of urea. The Ag chemical supply foks
    in the US are hoping to keep the price propped up long enough
    this spring so they can sell off their their prebought nitrogen before
    the news gets out to Farmer J.Q. Public that the market has really
    fallen flat.

    It's selling for 300 or so a T on the boat and I know a guy that's
    selling it (albeit at 5000 acre increments hehe) for 450 in the midwest.

    They can talk about demand all they want but when farmers
    figure out that there's a supply they'll be singing a different
    tune from the 650+ a ton they're singing now.

    m.
    Fertilizer retailers that work with customers of mine are now using scare tactics to get farmers to book and prepay this high priced crap. I tell them to wait till the price falls out of bed before spring to buy. I was upper management for coops who bought product right, the price went up in the spring, and we decided to take advantage of it and pocket the profits. Now the shoe's on the other foot and they booked and the highs and it's not my problem so the reverse should happen as well. It'll come to a head soon......just watch.



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 451,188, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    brianhos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Trenchtown
    Posts
    39,658
    Points
    451,188
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 238
    Given: 30

    Re: Oil Tankers Parked at Sea Waiting for Oil to Rise in Price

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonesrule91 View Post
    Fertilizer retailers that work with customers of mine are now using scare tactics to get farmers to book and prepay this high priced crap. I tell them to wait till the price falls out of bed before spring to buy. I was upper management for coops who bought product right, the price went up in the spring, and we decided to take advantage of it and pocket the profits. Now the shoe's on the other foot and they booked and the highs and it's not my problem so the reverse should happen as well. It'll come to a head soon......just watch.
    They will get a bailout like the ethanol industry wants... just wait and see.


    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

  9. #9
    Walk On
    Points: 8,406, Level: 27
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    sheldon
    Posts
    145
    Points
    8,406
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Oil Tankers Parked at Sea Waiting for Oil to Rise in Price

    Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    They will get a bailout like the ethanol industry wants... just wait and see.
    again, in this situation Farmer JQ Public takes it in the shorts.

    When the Ethanol folks take a hit, the poor schmuck that signed
    contracts to sell grain is the one that'll probly have to settle for
    half of what was agreed on.

    I've always been leery of marketing too far ahead. Does anyone
    here have grain sold to Vera Sun? What's going on with them?

    What's sad for small towns, is that regardless of how "townies"
    like to complain about farmers driving new pickups,
    (I say that with all the love in my heart for my inlaws (:+))
    Main Street US has been waiting for a LONG time for farmers to
    start making -good- money again, and now that trend is looking
    to be pretty short lived.

    Another thing that'll be interesting is to see what happens to land
    values because of all this. -Many- landlords are folks that live in
    town. What're they going to do (if) the reality of cheap grain
    smacks them in the face and their 275-300+ $$ rent they figured on
    gets puked up by farmers that can't afford it?

    My dad always said the farm economy always feels a recession
    last and always digs out of it last. Sheesh I hope this time he's
    wrong.

    peace.

    moo.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM