Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 53

Missing One Piece

Does anyone else agree that this team seems like it is just missing one piece to be really good, I think we just need that extra G/SF that can create by himself(ala, Gilstrap), I think that would have been the difference in the Texas game.. Don't get me wrong Lucca has done a great job doing this so far this year, but I feel like he is more the hustle guy that is great athlete and more of spot up shooter, especially with still being in recovery phase. I also hate to say this but I think that W. Johnson would have played this roll perfectly, but that is super old news. I really think that next year is going to be huge for this program, if Brackins does not blow up in conference play and decide to leave. It is too bad it took this long to get to this point but honestly with all the players that have left, it kind of had to.

If this team continues to improve like they are, I predict an NIT season. But we need to get consistent and Wednesday night can bring that to a whole new level.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 407
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

Re: Missing One Piece

Ive been saying this for quite some time now. That is exactly what we are lacking is that one more little piece that is a game changer who is tough to match up against but can play defense on their best player and cause havic and frustration. We're close... We're young, but we're close!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,165
    Given: 1,030

I think we are setting up nicely for next season with the young guys getting experience and the new guys coming in.

Pro
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 215
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    I think we are setting up nicely for next season with the young guys getting experience and the new guys coming in.
    Especially with the sudden surge of Justin Hamilton, the early games I was worried, you could definately tell he was freshman out there plus, Vanderbeaken can't play post defense for his life, and Thompson seems to get in foul trouble at some point, as well as Brackins. But I think with those 4 in a rotation it definately helps out. Jamie really needs to improve on his post D though.

Starter
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 874
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 33

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    Agreed. McDermott turned around Wayne State and UNI in season 3. Iowa State will turn the the corner in season 4. Greg has openly admitted that he feels as if we're one year behind in this rebuild given all of the setbacks.

I understand everyone wants to win NOW, but the rebuilding schedule that Iowa State is on really isn't as ridiculous and disappointing as some would like to think. Iowa State has had some good teams in the last decade, but we still have to work for it here. Good basketball is no guarantee. We'll all be happy soon enough.

Starter
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by jburke View Post
    Does anyone else agree that this team seems like it is just missing one piece to be really good, I think we just need that extra G/SF that can create by himself(ala, Gilstrap), I think that would have been the difference in the Texas game.. Don't get me wrong Lucca has done a great job doing this so far this year, but I feel like he is more the hustle guy that is great athlete and more of spot up shooter, especially with still being in recovery phase. I also hate to say this but I think that W. Johnson would have played this roll perfectly, but that is super old news. I really think that next year is going to be huge for this program, if Brackins does not blow up in conference play and decide to leave. It is too bad it took this long to get to this point but honestly with all the players that have left, it kind of had to.

If this team continues to improve like they are, I predict an NIT season. But we need to get consistent and Wednesday night can bring that to a whole new level.
    Sorry, but I have to disagree. After watching L'ville, Notre Dame, OU and Texas last night, I would say we have a few pieces missing before we can consistently compete at that level.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s View Post
    Sorry, but I have to disagree. After watching L'ville, Notre Dame, OU and Texas last night, I would say we have a few pieces missing before we can consistently compete at that level.
    What are you basing this on? Comparing us to Top 20 teams that have tons of bench depth, one of which we competed with last Saturday and with as hard as we played with the squad that we have one th road..... There is a difference between 20 wins and making the post season sucess, and winning your conference and making a run at the National Title..... Comparing us to those teams is ridiculous, not so say that we could not compete with those teams....

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 407
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by jburke View Post
    What are you basing this on? Comparing us to Top 20 teams that have tons of bench depth, one of which we competed with last Saturday and with as hard as we played with the squad that we have one th road..... There is a difference between 20 wins and making the post season sucess, and winning your conference and making a run at the National Title..... Comparing us to those teams is ridiculous, not so say that we could not compete with those teams....
    I hate to do this because I agree with the point of this thread but even the announcers were talking about how OU and Texas have very short bench depth... I dunno muchabout OU's bench, but Texas only plays 2-3 deep off the bench

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 166
    Given: 38

We are getting closer, but still have a long way to go.

I might be the only one that thinks we are better because we don't have Wes J. on the team. I really think it was a positive that he left.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,168
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 30

Quote Originally Posted by c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s View Post
    Well there are atleast 1 more level between those teams and where we are. I will be happy with getting to the next level next year. Once we get there its time to look to the next level of competition.

Hooray for Metaphors!

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post

I might be the only one that thinks we are better because we don't have Wes J. on the team. I really think it was a positive that he left.
    Why do you think we are better with out Wes on the team?

I could see this, because if he was here and did not want to be it might be a cancer for the team. But he was truly a great underrated recruit, that had his moments of playing really tough.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 306
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post

Be careful with a statement like that...you don't get better by losing a player like WJ.

Unless of course the team is playing together better

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by im4iast8 View Post
    I hate to do this because I agree with the point of this thread but even the announcers were talking about how OU and Texas have very short bench depth... I dunno muchabout OU's bench, but Texas only plays 2-3 deep off the bench
    I stand corrected, I was actually just referring to Louisville and ND's benches, JK,

but you get my reasoning, I want to see us at the level where we compete every game, and are consistently having winning seasons and making it to postseason tourns, then we can start to talk about the next level with those teams

Starter
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 96
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

As I see it, we have a 2 guard who does not have a great outside shot playing PG: a walkon with a lot of heart playing 2G: and a 2 guard who might be a step slow playing SF. And that adds up to three pieces. But I think we are getting closer.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 306
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgeezer View Post
    As I see it, we have a 2 guard who does not have a great outside shot playing PG: a walkon with a lot of heart playing 2G: and a 2 guard who might be a step slow playing SF. And that adds up to three pieces. But I think we are getting closer.
    3 pieces fixed by one addition.