Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 69
  1. #1
    Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    LukePlansky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    123
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Cael is going to make changes

    In today's weekly press conference, Cael Sanderson was not pleased.
    Sunday's third-place wasn't the reason. He said the half of the team didn't fight.
    Here is the story I wrote for the Iowa State Daily about it:

    I will post a transcript a little later.
    Also, here is a brief on how Duke Burk (174) will be back sooner than initially expected.
    Here are some of the key quotes, and there were plenty (too many to get into one story):
    "I hate sitting there watching my guys not fighting. It drives me crazy, but we've got half of our guys doing that"

    "I mean, right now we're taking the easy points. We're not fighting for the tough points, and that's frustrating as a staff because that's what wrestling is. Wrestling is fighting for the tough points. And that's the adjustment we have to make. I feel like I'm giving the guys the Holy Grail of how to think, how not to feel pressure, but it's not working. Everyone is not the same, and that's kind of what I'm learning as a head coach is that people think differently. They're not willing to accept ... People want to feel pressure. They want to have excuses, so I gotta make adjustments and get the most out of these guys, and really hold them accountable for what I expect 'em to do.
    Nothing is harder for me than to sit up here and say 'Ya, we're fighting. That's what I expect them to do,' and then we show up at the match and we have five guys fighting. It's ... you know... It's not very fun. That's what I was raised on is fighting. That's all I know: that's all I knew as a competitor, and that's all I know as a coach. And if you watched our team wrestle, you wouldn't know what I'm preaching as a coach. You wouldn't know. Things are going to change."

    "That's the hardest thing about being a coach: I can't go out there and wrestle a match, you know. I have to sit back here and pump these guys up and try to get them to go out and do what they're supposed to do. And it's fun, man. You compete, you step out on the mat - how many opportunities do you get to do that? You step on the mat, and you get to throw somebody down, you know? Those days are numbered; they're limited. Those days are over for most of us."

    Fascinating stuff.



  2. #2
    Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    LukePlansky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    123
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Cael is going to make changes

    Here is the transcript:
    Link



  3. #3
    Starter
    Points: 19,916, Level: 43
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 834
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    LeaningCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    868
    Points
    19,916
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 19

    Re: Cael is going to make changes

    I watched this earlier. Said the word 'fight' just a few times, huh?



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 80,935, Level: 88
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,015
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jumbopackage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,473
    Points
    80,935
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 10

    Re: Cael is going to make changes

    A classic example of why great players don't always make great coaches...


    "Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

  5. #5
    Legend
    Points: 181,932, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Marshalltown
    Posts
    10,059
    Points
    181,932
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 163
    Given: 136

    Re: Cael is going to make changes

    Good stuff. It will be real interesting to see what comes of this.



  6. #6
    Legend
    Points: 181,932, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Marshalltown
    Posts
    10,059
    Points
    181,932
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 163
    Given: 136

    Re: Cael is going to make changes

    Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post
    A classic example of why great players don't always make great coaches...
    WTF?



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 118,749, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tornado man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    7,920
    Points
    118,749
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 109
    Given: 161

    Re: Cael is going to make changes

    Quote Originally Posted by LukePlansky View Post
    In today's weekly press conference, Cael Sanderson was not pleased.
    Sunday's third-place wasn't the reason. He said the half of the team didn't fight.
    Here is the story I wrote for the Iowa State Daily about it:

    I will post a transcript a little later.
    Also, here is a brief on how Duke Burk (174) will be back sooner than initially expected.
    Here are some of the key quotes, and there were plenty (too many to get into one story):
    "I hate sitting there watching my guys not fighting. It drives me crazy, but we've got half of our guys doing that"

    "I mean, right now we're taking the easy points. We're not fighting for the tough points, and that's frustrating as a staff because that's what wrestling is. Wrestling is fighting for the tough points. And that's the adjustment we have to make. I feel like I'm giving the guys the Holy Grail of how to think, how not to feel pressure, but it's not working. Everyone is not the same, and that's kind of what I'm learning as a head coach is that people think differently. They're not willing to accept ... People want to feel pressure. They want to have excuses, so I gotta make adjustments and get the most out of these guys, and really hold them accountable for what I expect 'em to do.
    Nothing is harder for me than to sit up here and say 'Ya, we're fighting. That's what I expect them to do,' and then we show up at the match and we have five guys fighting. It's ... you know... It's not very fun. That's what I was raised on is fighting. That's all I know: that's all I knew as a competitor, and that's all I know as a coach. And if you watched our team wrestle, you wouldn't know what I'm preaching as a coach. You wouldn't know. Things are going to change."
    You should ask him if he has the team do any strength training. In comparing our wrestlers to Boisie St., Cornell, Nebraska, and Iowa, we look small, especially in the middle weights. We try a take down, get stuffed, and then their counters work on us. We look worn out; I think it's physical more than mental, which is odd since we have tons of talent.



  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 45,907, Level: 66
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,043
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    3,797
    Points
    45,907
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 16

    Re: Cael is going to make changes

    Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post
    A classic example of why great players don't always make great coaches...
    Those same coaches usually aren't able to identify that they may be going about thier methods wrong either. I see this as he does know what has been going on hasn't worked for everyone and he will identify those that are motivated by different methods and coaching. For a lot of people having the number 2/3 ranked team in the country would be enough and it speaks volumes about the man that it isn't enough for him and he is identifying what it will take to get the team to the top.


    "It is the nature of man to rise to greatness if greatness is expected of him."
    John Steinbeck

    XBOXLive: MNclone
    PS3: JHudd23
    Twitter: JasonAH

  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 80,935, Level: 88
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,015
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jumbopackage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,473
    Points
    80,935
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 10

    Re: Cael is going to make changes

    Quote Originally Posted by 1100011CS View Post
    WTF?
    He expects kids to have his same level of motivation and ability and becomes frustrated when they don't.

    I'm not saying that he can't learn to be a great coach, just that statements like, "...that's kind of what I'm learning as a head coach is that people think differently..." means that he wasn't fully prepared for what he was getting himself into.

    Performing as a coach is a very different task than performing as an athlete. One requires the ability to motivate, while the other requires the ability to be motivated.


    "Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 118,749, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tornado man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    7,920
    Points
    118,749
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 109
    Given: 161

    Re: Cael is going to make changes

    Quote Originally Posted by JHudd View Post
    For a lot of people having the number 2/3 ranked team in the country would be enough and it speaks volumes about the man that it isn't enough for him and he is identifying what it will take to get the team to the top.
    Cael is a great, great guy, but everyone knows why he replaced Bobby Douglas: we weren't winning national championships.



  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 45,907, Level: 66
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,043
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    3,797
    Points
    45,907
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 16

    Re: Cael is going to make changes

    Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post
    I'm not saying that he can't learn to be a great coach, just that statements like, "...that's kind of what I'm learning as a head coach is that people think differently..." means that he wasn't fully prepared for what he was getting himself into.
    I agree with your whole statement for the most part but wanted to comment on this part. I think this really may be true but I am much happier being where we are now and having him at the help even if he is learning on the job. He could be that guy to be here for a very long time and if we have a few "lean" years up front in his learning curve I won't be disappointed. Much better to see this then see him somewhere else succeeding in the future.


    "It is the nature of man to rise to greatness if greatness is expected of him."
    John Steinbeck

    XBOXLive: MNclone
    PS3: JHudd23
    Twitter: JasonAH

  12. #12
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 45,907, Level: 66
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,043
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    3,797
    Points
    45,907
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 16

    Re: Cael is going to make changes

    Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Cael is a great, great guy, but everyone knows why he replaced Bobby Douglas: we weren't winning national championships.
    I agree, I also think we were investing in the long term future of the program.


    "It is the nature of man to rise to greatness if greatness is expected of him."
    John Steinbeck

    XBOXLive: MNclone
    PS3: JHudd23
    Twitter: JasonAH

  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 143,680, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CrossCyed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    9,385
    Points
    143,680
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 0

    Re: Cael is going to make changes

    Cael's still kind of learning on the job too. He had never been a college coach or anything before. I'm sure he knows he can improve.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 80,935, Level: 88
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,015
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jumbopackage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,473
    Points
    80,935
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 10

    Re: Cael is going to make changes

    Quote Originally Posted by JHudd View Post
    I agree with your whole statement for the most part but wanted to comment on this part. I think this really may be true but I am much happier being where we are now and having him at the help even if he is learning on the job. He could be that guy to be here for a very long time and if we have a few "lean" years up front in his learning curve I won't be disappointed. Much better to see this then see him somewhere else succeeding in the future.
    Agreed.

    All the hero worship over what he achieved as an athlete taints our perception of him as a coach, though, IMO. He's a lot of things, but so far, he's not any better than the guy he replaced (though he's not much worse, and the guy he replaced was pretty good).


    "Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 114,054, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    JP4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sommerset
    Posts
    6,409
    Points
    114,054
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 394
    Given: 173

    Re: Cael is going to make changes

    Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Cael is a great, great guy, but everyone knows why he replaced Bobby Douglas: we weren't winning national championships.
    I think it might be because ISU can't afford Gable version 2.0
    A great ISU wrestler that would leave to coach another college and be extremely successful there.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM