Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30

Thread: Birds & Bees

  1. #1
    Speechless
    Points: 729,934, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,448
    Points
    729,934
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,291
    Given: 633

    Birds & Bees

    Ok, so I have an agreement with my little dude (almost 11 yrs old) that I will honestly answer any question that comes to his mind to ask.

    Yesterday he asked me what a "ho" was (as sang by the Beastie Boys in No Sleep Til Brooklyn). In the process of explaining, the questions continued until he had the full story of the birds and bees. He was suitably revolted at the prospect. I think it was a good talk, and I guess if he was asking, he was ready to be told.

    Somehow, this talk came before the Santa Claus talk. Don't ask me why, it just never happened. Pretty sure he figured that one out on his own, but he is still playing along with the charade.

    Now if you will excuse me, I think I have an appointment to be inducted into a special wing at the Parenting Hall of Shame



  2. #2
    Addict Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oldpeopleville
    Posts
    9,207
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Birds & Bees

    Let me get this straight. So your little dude is going to believe that if he behaves in HS, that Santa will bring him a girlfriend?


    "Seven minutes to glory."

  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 26,970, Level: 50
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 580
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    rhillary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, IL
    Posts
    2,000
    Points
    26,970
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 13

    Re: Birds & Bees

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    Ok, so I have an agreement with my little dude (almost 11 yrs old) that I will honestly answer any question that comes to his mind to ask.

    Yesterday he asked me what a "ho" was (as sang by the Beastie Boys in No Sleep Til Brooklyn). In the process of explaining, the questions continued until he had the full story of the birds and bees. He was suitably revolted at the prospect. I think it was a good talk, and I guess if he was asking, he was ready to be told.

    Somehow, this talk came before the Santa Claus talk. Don't ask me why, it just never happened. Pretty sure he figured that one out on his own, but he is still playing along with the charade.

    Now if you will excuse me, I think I have an appointment to be inducted into a special wing at the Parenting Hall of Shame
    This is an awesome parenting story! I think I would've lost it when the little guy comes up and asks "Daddy, what's a ho?"


    Yep, this thread has just been pwned.

  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 47,261, Level: 67
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,089
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Burnsville, MN
    Posts
    2,946
    Points
    47,261
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 15

    Re: Birds & Bees

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone62 View Post
    Let me get this straight. So your little dude is going to believe that if he behaves in HS, that Santa will bring him a girlfriend?
    Of course not, Santa is going to being him a ho!



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 210,898, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CyDude16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Heads in the sky
    Posts
    9,541
    Points
    210,898
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 235
    Given: 902

    Re: Birds & Bees

    It's a garden tool.



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 729,934, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,448
    Points
    729,934
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,291
    Given: 633

    Re: Birds & Bees

    Quote Originally Posted by rhillary View Post
    This is an awesome parenting story! I think I would've lost it when the little guy comes up and asks "Daddy, what's a ho?"
    Yeah, I came pretty close. Luckily, we had just arrived at the gym to play basketball, and were getting out of the car. The cold air may have saved me. I just told him I would explain later after I had time to gather my thoughts.



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 26,970, Level: 50
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 580
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    rhillary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, IL
    Posts
    2,000
    Points
    26,970
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 13

    Re: Birds & Bees

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    Yeah, I came pretty close. Luckily, we had just arrived at the gym to play basketball, and were getting out of the car. The cold air may have saved me. I just told him I would explain later after I had time to gather my thoughts.
    I think there is a Ludacris song out there that covers this conversation pretty nicely.


    Yep, this thread has just been pwned.

  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 84,230, Level: 90
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,320
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ripvdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sk-Ankeny
    Posts
    6,791
    Points
    84,230
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 155

    Re: Birds & Bees

    Just have him listen to this. Otherwise he probably has a decent idea of what happens already anyways. Just keep it simple and have him ask questions and keep it from getting awkward.


    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A81fwLNklSM]YouTube - Starland Vocal Band Afternoon Delight[/ame]


    #BEATIOWA

  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 729,934, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,448
    Points
    729,934
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,291
    Given: 633

    Re: Birds & Bees

    Quote Originally Posted by ripvdub View Post
    Just have him listen to this. Otherwise he probably has a decent idea of what happens already anyways. Just keep it simple and have him ask questions and keep it from getting awkward.


    YouTube - Starland Vocal Band Afternoon Delight
    Somehow I think that might have made it more awkward. I think it actually went pretty well, and didn't seem real uncomfortable. Much different than my "talk" with my dad. That came along at about 16, and as soon as he started talking, I knew where he was going and assured him that I had all the information I needed.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 95,042, Level: 95
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CYdTracked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,696
    Points
    95,042
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 7

    Re: Birds & Bees

    Show him this:

    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwrUGXjLIo8]YouTube - Caliendo as John Madden in "The Birds and the Bees"[/ame]


    Go Cubs Go!

  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 421,362, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Stumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,501
    Points
    421,362
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 4

    Re: Birds & Bees

    Maybe he wasn't actually asking about the birds and the bees at all, and was trying to sort out the Santa business. Maybe he was just skeptical of the big guy saying "ho ho ho", and he wanted to know what that was all about.

    In short, respectfully, I think you've made things worse. Your son now thinks Santa's a pimp.


    TRUE AND VALIANT

  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 174,460, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    GeronimusClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,249
    Points
    174,460
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Birds & Bees

    My Dad's sex talk was pretty simple. Keep the banana out of the freezer and it won't get hard. Dad was a man of few words.


    Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

    Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

  13. #13
    Legend
    Points: 145,591, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    cybsball20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    12,716
    Points
    145,591
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

    Re: Birds & Bees

    Quote Originally Posted by ripvdub View Post
    Just have him listen to this. Otherwise he probably has a decent idea of what happens already anyways. Just keep it simple and have him ask questions and keep it from getting awkward.


    YouTube - Starland Vocal Band Afternoon Delight
    Somebody has been listening to the Dan Patrick show...



    Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

    Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

    and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

  14. #14
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 55,615, Level: 73
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,435
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    dustinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,635
    Points
    55,615
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Birds & Bees

    My sister's fiance says his dad's sex talk went something like this...

    "So...sex and that. Has your mom talked to you about that?"

    "Yeah."

    "Good!"




  15. #15
    Starter
    Points: 20,981, Level: 44
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 669
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    mfelske's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    688
    Points
    20,981
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 29

    Re: Birds & Bees

    Quote Originally Posted by rhillary View Post
    I think there is a Ludacris song out there that covers this conversation pretty nicely.
    You can't turn a ho into a housewife. Ho's don't act right.

    or there's always Eddie Murphy's SNL skit... so you wanna be a ho?



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM