Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 77

Thread: Ames High

  1. #1
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 5,507, Level: 21
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    LetsPlay2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    274
    Points
    5,507
    Level
    21
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 5

    Ames High

    A few friends and I are thinking about going to the Ames High basketball game next Tuesday January, 20th in Des Moines at East High because we obviously want to check out these Little Cyclones in action with Barnes, McDermott and Co. Do these games get pretty crowded? I saw online that the game starts at 7:45, would it be wise to get there early, or do we not have to worry about it? I know this may be hard since it is a away game at East. What do you think? Thanks!


    Go Cubs Go!
    Lets Play Two-Ernie Banks

  2. #2
    Walk On cybear52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    157
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Ames High

    From my experience if its in ames and you get there at the start of halftime for the GIRLS game. you wont find a seat. East is never that full and not that good so you probaly wont have a problem finding a seat


    Salute to Dan McCarney

  3. #3
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 8,440, Level: 27
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    cymonson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    337
    Points
    8,440
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Ames High

    ya i went to the Marshalltown @ Ames game last Friday and i had practice after school so i stayed for sophmores, girls varsity, and boys varsity. for the sophmores i sat in Gym 2 to watch. at the end i went over to the Girls game and they were warming up so i went to go get food and i came back right as it started and the student section was full in the first section so i sat front row of the balcony and ppl would jst walk right up and stand right in front of me so i couldnt see. it sucked



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 146,976, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,187
    Points
    146,976
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Ames High

    Quote Originally Posted by cymonson View Post
    ya i went to the Marshalltown @ Ames game last Friday and i had practice after school so i stayed for sophmores, girls varsity, and boys varsity. for the sophmores i sat in Gym 2 to watch. at the end i went over to the Girls game and they were warming up so i went to go get food and i came back right as it started and the student section was full in the first section so i sat front row of the balcony and ppl would jst walk right up and stand right in front of me so i couldnt see. it sucked
    Next time just tell Coach K and Roy Williams "down in front!" or "Hey Self, you make a better door than a window!"



  5. #5
    Walk On
    Points: 6,466, Level: 23
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    150
    Points
    6,466
    Level
    23
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 26

    Re: Ames High

    I have seen many games at EHS in the last 14 years.......always plenty of room! Both girls teams are good, but I am fairly sure good seats will be available.



  6. #6
    Rookie
    Points: 10,631, Level: 31
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 619
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    khess83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Beaverdale-Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    589
    Points
    10,631
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Ames High

    Some Friends and I are heading to the Ames-Wakuee game this Friday, and I have never been to Wakuee High and not sure what to expect. Any help would be appreciated!



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 35,097, Level: 57
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 353
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cycloneman003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Clive
    Posts
    2,953
    Points
    35,097
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 3

    Re: Ames High

    Quote Originally Posted by khess83 View Post
    Some Friends and I are heading to the Ames-Wakuee game this Friday, and I have never been to Wakuee High and not sure what to expect. Any help would be appreciated!
    hey.. i go to waukee and trust me, our gym is small for our school's size so it will get packed early. try to get there by halftime of the girls game (6:45ish). Ames travels really well too so their side will probably full up by the time the girls game is wrapping up.

    i may be slightly biased because i go to waukee, but you should see a very very competitive game and really good atmosphere. I know you guys probably look at the schedule and see that Ames beat waukee by 17 earlier this year, but that was @ Ames and waukee was without its second best player, Will Artino. Will's first game is friday vs ames after sitting out due to transfer rules (from DM Christian). He's 6'9" and will play the PF position because Gabe Knutson (6'8" Lehigh commit) is an all-state center averaging 20 and 9 a game. Artino averaged 14.5ppg and 9.4rpg as a soph at DM Christian.

    I dont expect waukee to win, but last time HB only scored 6 against us and we didnt have our twin towers inside


    Last edited by cycloneman003; 01-15-2009 at 06:02 PM.
    ALL IN

  8. #8
    Rookie
    Points: 10,631, Level: 31
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 619
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    khess83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Beaverdale-Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    589
    Points
    10,631
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Ames High

    Hey thanks for the info, I will shoot to get there between 6:30 and 6:45. And losing to Ames by 17 is nothing most of their opponents have been 25-30 points behind at the end. Thanks again!



  9. #9
    Starter
    Points: 11,640, Level: 32
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    837
    Points
    11,640
    Level
    32
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Ames High

    East is terrible. If HB plays more than 8 minutes, AHS will score 100.



  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 44,884, Level: 65
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 666
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Final42b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    4,049
    Points
    44,884
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 25

    Re: Ames High

    Quote Originally Posted by cycloneman003 View Post
    hey.. i go to waukee and trust me, our gym is small for our school's size so it will get packed early. try to get there by halftime of the girls game (6:45ish). Ames travels really well too so their side will probably full up by the time the girls game is wrapping up.

    i may be slightly biased because i go to waukee, but you should see a very very competitive game and really good atmosphere. I know you guys probably look at the schedule and see that Ames beat waukee by 17 earlier this year, but that was @ Ames and waukee was without its second best player, Will Artino. Will's first game is friday vs ames after sitting out due to transfer rules (from DM Christian). He's 6'9" and will play the PF position because Gabe Knutson (6'8" Lehigh commit) is an all-state center averaging 20 and 9 a game. Artino averaged 14.5ppg and 9.4rpg as a soph at DM Christian.

    I dont expect waukee to win, but last time HB only scored 6 against us and we didnt have our twin towers inside
    I go to ames high and last year i went to the game at waukee and let me say it is a great enviroment for hs. It can get really loud in there because its so small. I expect ames to walk in there and blow them out like they did last year, should eb a fun game though cant wait to see how much gabe has developed since last year.



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 35,097, Level: 57
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 353
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cycloneman003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Clive
    Posts
    2,953
    Points
    35,097
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 3

    Re: Ames High

    Quote Originally Posted by Final42b View Post
    I go to ames high and last year i went to the game at waukee and let me say it is a great enviroment for hs. It can get really loud in there because its so small. I expect ames to walk in there and blow them out like they did last year, should eb a fun game though cant wait to see how much gabe has developed since last year.
    gabe has improved a lot, and the focus on him leaves shooters open a lot. it will be interesting to see if mcdermott can guard a 6'9" kid who averaged almost a double-double as a soph. i dont think he can because hes 4 inches shorter. Whoever the one big guy on ames is (name escapes me) matches up with gabe in height but isnt nearly as skilled/athletic/coordinated as gabe.

    i expect a great game and home crowd to really help out. a coulpe dunks by a gabe or will and the crowd will really get going and set the mood for the game


    ALL IN

  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 35,097, Level: 57
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 353
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cycloneman003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Clive
    Posts
    2,953
    Points
    35,097
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 3

    Re: Ames High

    it was interesting to watch the first matchup because Gabe guarded HB a lot and HB was held to just 6 points. waukee struggled with the press, but the last few games the guards have improved. i think the early struggles were due to youth. the starting point guard is a junior in his first year varisity and the starting SF is a sophomore first year varisty. also the first guard off the bench is a sophomore as is the first big man off the bench

    waukee has a size/post play advantage... ames has the definite backcourt advantage. will be fun to watch


    ALL IN

  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 44,884, Level: 65
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 666
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Final42b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    4,049
    Points
    44,884
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 25

    Re: Ames High

    I expect to see james kohler on gabe, kohler goes about 6'7/6'8 he is a good athlete who has schooly offer from ISU for football, he should do a decent job on him. Last year we had Ross Ellrich who was 6'8 to put on gabe, and he did a good job, but he moved to kansas with frustrations about playing time. I warn you ames is playing much better than earlier this year, but if there is one team in the ciml that can compete with us its waukee.



  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 35,097, Level: 57
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 353
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cycloneman003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Clive
    Posts
    2,953
    Points
    35,097
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 3

    Re: Ames High

    Quote Originally Posted by Final42b View Post
    I expect to see james kohler on gabe, kohler goes about 6'7/6'8 he is a good athlete who has schooly offer from ISU for football, he should do a decent job on him. Last year we had Ross Ellrich who was 6'8 to put on gabe, and he did a good job, but he moved to kansas with frustrations about playing time. I warn you ames is playing much better than earlier this year, but if there is one team in the ciml that can compete with us its waukee.
    i was wondering what happened to Ellrich, thanks for filling me in there. IMO the key to the game is how the waukee guards handle to press and if they can slow Palo down. Gabe will get his, and its really tough when you have to stop him and try and stop another very long athletic 6'9" kid (i think his wingspan is like 7").

    waukee has improved a lot too. this a team that has 2 seniors that get heavy minutes so its a lot of young ones learning CIML ball.


    ALL IN

  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 35,097, Level: 57
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 353
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cycloneman003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Clive
    Posts
    2,953
    Points
    35,097
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 3

    Re: Ames High

    these are the two big men for waukee.. the first three are Gabe and the last two are Will Artino (when he was at DM Christian)

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gabethrowingdown.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	4272
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gabe2.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	4274
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gabe3.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	4275
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	will.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	4273
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	will2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	4276


    Last edited by cycloneman003; 01-15-2009 at 06:55 PM.
    ALL IN

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports 1
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM