Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 3

Recruiting....Very Long....

Now in my opinion, Rhoads is really out there recruiting hard. I think he's targeted specific players and either he or one of his assistants are aggressively recruiting these players.

We've heard today that he has got LB Jake Knott - i don't think this kid changes postions - this kid has prototype size-speed to translate to the next level. Obviously he will fill out a bit, but at 6-3 his frame can acquire some additional weight without reducing his speed.

Some other targets:

QB - Coach Herman was after a kid out of texas by the name of Colton Gray, but he just committed to Pitt. The previous staff was recruiting Kenneth Guiton out of Texas, but also - so was Rice. My guess is Herman may have been recruiting him at Rice, don't be surprised if this is the top target at QB now that Gray has chosen Pitt.

RB - With Blankenship and White already committed and remaining committed, we're still recruiting Kendial Lawrence and Jeremy Wright. We've heard that Coach Rhoads just made an in home visit to Lawrence and if that went well we could end up with another RB commit. All three of these players have very good skills and i cannot believe we would take any other RB's.

WR - a new name i've heard thrown around is Joshua Bellamy (juco) out of Califonia. Good size at 6'-1" 195 pds with solid 4.4 speed. Adding depth to this position will obviously be an important part of maintaining the spread and keeping fresh bodies on the field. With Reynolds, Lenz, Beshears already committed, getting another WR will fill out this class IMO.

OL - with the decommit of Wempa, a lot has been spoken about asking a player thats made the commitment to the previous staff to decommit from the school. In this case, i think our staff made the decision that this kid did not fit a particular role, and chose to let him know his position. Doing so gives the young man a chance to find a school that his style of plays best fits, and if thats not at ISU, i think thats very respectful because ultimately it saves him from sitting there wasting his time if the two parties dont fit.
    Now i've seen a new name being thrown around for a possible replacement to Dedrick. His name is Joe Evinger (juco) he's 6'-7" and 340 pounds....wow get him next to Haughton and thats some beef on that side of the line. If you need a yard, go behind them, even if they just fall forward it will net two yards!!!

DE - a lot of names flying around here - obvious need and with Coach Price involved, his talents at developing very good DL players speaks for itself. Plus, his recruiting capabilities are very well known.
    Not sure who's at the top of the list but guys like Mims, Eguae, Johnson, Anyiam, and still Martin (but with butler gone, so is Martin) - imo at least two of these guys come on board. IMO the top target at DE right now should be Dearco Nolan. This kid is a physical specimen and has the mindset to come to a place like ISU and really blossom into something special - NFL caliber athlete.
    Dearco Nolan - Football Recruiting

Right now, my money would be on Anyiam and Johnson.

But, at DT, we need immediate help. A new name and not a lot more then that out there is John Henderson (juco) from out west, but, hes got good size at 6-3 309 but not sure if this is a project or not yet. Coach Price made a visit to meet with Akeem Spence, i would love to get a kid like this into the program and allow him to develop into a stud DT. Not moving positions, or transitioning from the OL, this kids a DT and i think could offer us a very good player in the future.

LB - well we know that Mosby was asked to Decommit and now we have jake knott of Waukon. I'm not really sure how this translates into Coach Rhoads new defensive philosophy but while at Pitts his starting LB were 6-2 or 6-3 and around 230 pounds. The only thing we need to maintain with this size is speed, unlike the SEC and the Big East, the Big 12 has so many spread offenses that our LB's have to be able to cover the field. Thats one of our biggest problems now, our LB drops are so shallow it opens our CB up for about every route known to mankind. IMO the recruiting of LB might be closed now with Klein, Jackson and Knott but if Mike Marry wanted to commit i'm sure Coach Rhoads might accept that as well. One name out there that i think may still be in play because of the immediate impact on the LB position is Justin Hickman (juco) of College of Dupage. Great size and speed at 6-3 230 and runs a 4.5 forty. If Rhoads wants size and speed and allow the young guys the chance to redshirt and gain valuable experience - this is the way to go.

CB - One of the deepest positions on our team both from roster players but also from experience and redshirts. We have 2 current dbs listed as committed. I think both players have the skills to redshirt a year and then contribute or no redshirt and immediate special teams players.

Safety - With Broomfield already staying put, now that we know that Butler has committed to Kansas State, we need to get a presence at this position for next fall. We need someone in this position that can make plays. No disrespect, but our safety's spent too much time chasing opposing players from behind. We need some decent size and a lot more speed at this position. If were not able to get a JUCO player to come in for next fall, i would love to get Bradley Wallace, great size for the position at 6-1 205 and runs 4.4-4.5 forty. This kid with broomfield could develop together and provide the continuity and size to make plays. A juco kids that we may consider taking a look at is Dion Bland - great size and speed and was originally being recruited by Cal, Utah, and Washington so he should have some decent skills.

It will be interesting to see how this staff assembles the rest of the class - Feb is not far away. I hope Mrs. Rhoads enjoyed her husband at xmas because he's going to be a busy man trying to finish out a coaching staff and a recruiting class and start making his imprint on this team for next year.

Good Luck......

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 28

Re: Recruiting....Very Long....

I'm not impressed by Guiton at QB...wasn't when the old staff was looking at him and not with the new staff either. His videos just do nothing for me.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Also...I wasn't aware we had lost Butler. I knew about Martin, but not Butler. That is a big loss IMO.

Pro
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,334
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    Also...I wasn't aware we had lost Butler. I knew about Martin, but not Butler. That is a big loss IMO.
    YEP its official today......Butler is headed to KState and i would bet that you will see Martin there as well.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 550
    Given: 349

Sounds like we may have not done enough recruiting on the defensive side of the ball if we are looking at all these jucos. Maybe Bolt did not get enough people in the door.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Damn Snyder is gonna haul in all the JUCO's again.

Legend
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 607

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post
    RB - With Blankenship and White already committed and remaining committed, we're still recruiting Kendial Lawrence and Jeremy Wright. We've heard that Coach Rhoads just made an in home visit to Lawrence and if that went well we could end up with another RB commit. All three of these players have very good skills and i cannot believe we would take any other RB's.
    Kendial Lawrence attends Rockwall HS. That's the same school as Ryan Mosby, the linebacker recruit that CPR reputedly "encouraged" to decommit. If that's true, my gut response says that might not work well.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It appears we are hurting much more on the defensive side than the offensive side for current players and new recruits. Pretty much any good defensive player that comes in the door might have to play first year. It was the defense that sucked.

Last edited by Wesley; 01-11-2009 at 04:43 PM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 931
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Great write-up KMAC.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Hope our coaches are recruiting and not just getting together all week at the coaches convention. This is a critical period of time because we need more talent. Geno left the job half done.

Rookie
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

I believe there is a dead period for recruiting while the convention is going on. I could be wrong.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    Kendial Lawrence attends Rockwall HS. That's the same school as Ryan Mosby, the linebacker recruit that CPR reputedly "encouraged" to decommit. If that's true, my gut response says that might not work well.

He may also appreciate CPRs honesty. Why bring a kid in that may transfer because he doesn't fit.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 428
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post
    YEP its official today......Butler is headed to KState and i would bet that you will see Martin there as well.
    Not official until sigining day

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 428
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Hope our coaches are recruiting and not just getting together all week at the coaches convention. This is a critical period of time because we need more talent. Geno left the job half done.
    Dead period. But I think the coaches are going ot play poker tonight