Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 155
    Given: 93

Ames High Vs. Ankeny

jus got back from the game. HB had some sick blocks and good dunks finished with around 13. Ankeny has 4 freshman on varsity and one starts, not very good team and ames won easliy 70-35.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Ames High Vs. Ankeny

I also went to the game, and it looks like Barnes just gets bored during these games. He looks lazy, but i think this is just a product of his superior athleticism. Id like to see what he could do against a good team, when he actually puts an effort into the game.

All-Star
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 535
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 2

Ames actually played a pretty poor game according to their standards but still won by 35. This teams is the best team i have ever seen play high school basketball in the state of iowa so far

"These are my new shoes. They're good shoes. They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me. They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it." - Charles Barkley

Rookie
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Thompsonclone21 View Post
    Ankeny has 4 freshman on varsity and one starts, not very good team and ames won easliy 70-35.
    Its quite sad that a school as big as Ankeny has this problem. I graduated from there a few years ago and honestly the coaches are the problem. They are ok coaches but they tend to play favorites and really wont put up with anyone that they dont like, therefore nobody wants to play for them. Ankeny boys basketball is going downhill fast...

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 193
    Given: 180

Quote Originally Posted by IOWASTATE View Post
    Its quite sad that a school as big as Ankeny has this problem. I graduated from there a few years ago and honestly the coaches are the problem. They are ok coaches but they tend to play favorites and really wont put up with anyone that they dont like, therefore nobody wants to play for them. Ankeny boys basketball is going downhill fast...
    Twice as many kids there will have the opportunity to play HS basketball by the year 2013.

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 534
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 29

I hate to say it but ankeny didnt deserve to be on the same court with harrison barnes.

Addict
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 417
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 4

My buddy reffed that game last night. When I talked to him he said Barnes had a few big dunks, but he was more impressed by his blocking ability. My pal told me that an Ankeny player would look like he had an easy layup and Barnes would come from no where and pin it against the backboard. My friend also said that he was setting up a free throw and looked up at the backboard, and there was HB's hand print.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 534
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 29

Quote Originally Posted by cycopath25 View Post
    My buddy reffed that game last night. When I talked to him he said Barnes had a few big dunks, but he was more impressed by his blocking ability. My pal told me that an Ankeny player would look like he had an easy layup and Barnes would come from no where and pin it against the backboard. My friend also said that he was setting up a free throw and looked up at the backboard, and there was HB's hand print.
    HAHA wow thats tight. Ya his blocks were amazing....and this was a bad game for him.

Rookie
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by wartknight View Post
    Twice as many kids there will have the opportunity to play HS basketball by the year 2013.
    This is true but what i see happening (and maybe it wont) is that the most athletic will move to a certain side of town (my guess is the north side seeing as this is where the larger homes are being built and expanded) and that school will dominate. Its also sad that i may have graduated from one of the largest schools in the state and a few years later the mascot and high school name will cease to exist but that remains to be seen i guess

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I have yet to see HB in person. Everyone tells me you have to see him in person before you can appreciate how good he is

Walk On
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 216
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I also went to the game. Yes, he did look like he was not playing a 100%. Yes, he did look on a different level athletically than the freshman, oops, I mean, varsity squad at Ankeny (i.e., the aforementioned blocked shots and he dunked easily several times with no one around him).

However, I have to admit I hope this was just an off game for him (as some of the Ankeny boys who also play at the Iowa Attack with HB and Sully). His skills did not seem as good as advertised. He did not hit anything from outside, he got picked / the ball slapped away a few times while trying to dribble drive, and he did not finish in traffic. You could see the potential, but I had heard the polish was there already too. I will repeat that the boys on the Ankeny team that play with the Attack flat out said he is much better than he showed, but . . .

Also, Ankeny fans don't need to get down. If they find a post player worth anything in two years, Ankeny will be a top 5 team easily. While it is sad we have to resort to playing so many freshman (and one of our leading scorers is a sophmore), the freshman class is nothing less than spectacular. They consistently place well in the AAU nationals.

Addict
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Given: 204

Quote Originally Posted by IP Guy View Post
    However, I have to admit I hope this was just an off game for him (as some of the Ankeny boys who also play at the Iowa Attack with HB and Sully). His skills did not seem as good as advertised. He did not hit anything from outside, he got picked / the ball slapped away a few times while trying to dribble drive, and he did not finish in traffic. You could see the potential, but I had heard the polish was there already too. I will repeat that the boys on the Ankeny team that play with the Attack flat out said he is much better than he showed, but . . .
    HB was offered by the big boys (Williams, Howland, K, Donovan, Pitino, Ryan, Tubbs, etc.) on his national AAU performances in match-ups against other highly-ranked players. I also think Jake's intensity rubs off on him too. High school games almost seem like off-season for him.

All-Star
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 999
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsSocial

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 97

John Peterson is a terrible HC, only concerned about himself. The guy gets less out of more talent than anyone else in the CIML. Ankeny basketball will not amount to much as long as he is "coaching" the team.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 272
    Given: 103

This is true but what i see happening (and maybe it wont) is that the most athletic will move to a certain side of town (my guess is the north side seeing as this is where the larger homes are being built and expanded) and that school will dominate. Its also sad that i may have graduated from one of the largest schools in the state and a few years later the mascot and high school name will cease to exist but that remains to be seen i guess
    I don't think this is a stretch at all. Where I live now, the school district has gone from 1 high school to 4 over the last 20 years or so. The schools are all about the same size, but there is one school that serves the older part of town that has a much poorer student body, and doesn't compete well in just about anything. And maybe it is just a coincidence, but it seems like all the best athletes end up at the same high school year in and year out, and that school tends to dominate at just about every sport. Depending on how they handle enrollment, I could certainly see this happening at Ankeny as well, or any of the other suburbs in Des Moines if they decide to split their high schools.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 589
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I know this thread is old, but I was a freshman last year. I also played basketball on the Ankeny Hawks but did not play Varsity. The 4 that made varsity are really good. The one that starts is one of my friends, he plays on the All-Iowa Attack with his twin brother who also plays on Varsity. They are really good. And the sophomore you guys talked about that you guys said was really good. He is the best player on the Ankeny team right now, he used to be my neighbor and I used to play baskeball against him everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    And I'm thinking that cycofan just made the air, baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by rworkman83 View Post
    I'll be honest, Cycofan1 sounds much older than what he makes me believe on here.