CEDAR FALLS, Iowa – The second-ranked and No. 2-seeded Iowa State Cyclones ran the table against 19th-ranked Indiana, winning 35-0 in the first round Saturday morning at the NWCA/Cliff Keen National Duals at the UNI Dome. It was the fourth shutout dual victory of 2008-09 season for the ISU squad. The Cyclones hit the mat again at 3 p.m. in a quarterfinal clash against Boise State, which upended No. 7 seed Wisconsin in the preliminary round.

“Indiana is a good team to face in the first round,” associate head coach Cody Sanderson said. “Our guys wrestled tough and now we’re getting ready for the next match.”

Setting the tone for the strong Cyclone effort, 125-pounder Tyler Clark, ranked fifth nationally, knocked off defending NCAA champion Angel Escobedo in the opening match of the dual, 3-1. Clark scored a last-second takedown in the third period on the edge of the mat to secure the upset.

“I prepare for every match the same way,” Clark said. “I focus on the things I can control. Anyone can be beat on any day. It felt good to go out there and wrestle my hardest, especially against the returning NCAA champion.”

For Escobedo, it was only his second defeat in the last two seasons. The junior Hoosier was 34-1 last season en route to the Big Ten and NCAA 125-pound titles and 9-0 this season before his loss to Clark. The Cyclone sophomore is 15-2 this season.

Following the upset at 125 pounds, ISU 133-pounder Nick Fanthorpe, ranked sixth, recorded a pin against Indiana’s Matt Ortega in 4:44. Fanthorpe was awarded the pin from the neutral position while attempting to secure a takedown on the Indiana wrestler.

More...