Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 74,442, Level: 84
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,468
    Points
    74,442
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

    A DC that may be worth consideration

    Tracy Claeys is a young DC that oversaw an impressive turnaround at Nothern Illinois. His defense was nationally ranked 17th overall in his first year at Northern Illinois. In 2007 prior to his arrival NIU's defense was ranked 97.

    He is a graduate of Kansas State in the mid 90's. He's been a DC at lower divisions for many years.

    Northern Illinois University Official Athletic Site



  2. #2
    Starter
    Points: 13,115, Level: 34
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 235
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    SwirlingFloater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    619
    Points
    13,115
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 258

    Re: A DC that may be worth consideration

    I don't know anything about Claeys, but while the improvement from the previous year is impressive, I would like to see more Div1 experience and someone who has proven they can sustain a strong program.

    Chizik hired the Minnesota DC at Auburn because in his first year Minnesota went from the worst defense in the country to middle of the pack. He might be a heck of a coach, but that one year jump could be attributable to other things besides being an outstanding coach.



  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 85,122, Level: 90
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 428
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4,706
    Points
    85,122
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: A DC that may be worth consideration

    Quote Originally Posted by SwirlingFloater View Post
    Chizik hired the Minnesota DC at Auburn because in his first year Minnesota went from the worst defense in the country to middle of the pack. He might be a heck of a coach, but that one year jump could be attributable to other things besides being an outstanding coach.
    Like playing defense in the offensively challenged little eleven



  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 74,442, Level: 84
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,468
    Points
    74,442
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

    Re: A DC that may be worth consideration

    Quote Originally Posted by SwirlingFloater View Post
    I don't know anything about Claeys, but while the improvement from the previous year is impressive, I would like to see more Div1 experience and someone who has proven they can sustain a strong program.

    Chizik hired the Minnesota DC at Auburn because in his first year Minnesota went from the worst defense in the country to middle of the pack. He might be a heck of a coach, but that one year jump could be attributable to other things besides being an outstanding coach.
    Although I understand your point, NIU had a new coaching staff in 2009 that took over a team that finished 2-10 in 2007.

    In 2007 they gave up 30.8 points per game and 434 yards per game.

    In 2008 they gave up 18 points per game and 298.5 yards. A turnaround of this magnitude from a new coaching staff is very impressive. This short of a turnaround has to be more about coaching than talent because a new coaching staff can't infuse talent that quickly. Inspite of working his way up through the lower divisions he has a lot of experience as a DC.



  5. #5
    Rookie
    Points: 8,590, Level: 27
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    389
    Points
    8,590
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: A DC that may be worth consideration

    Quote Originally Posted by mt85 View Post
    Although I understand your point, NIU had a new coaching staff in 2009 that took over a team that finished 2-10 in 2007.

    In 2007 they gave up 30.8 points per game and 434 yards per game.

    In 2008 they gave up 18 points per game and 298.5 yards. A turnaround of this magnitude from a new coaching staff is very impressive. This short of a turnaround has to be more about coaching than talent because a new coaching staff can't infuse talent that quickly. Inspite of working his way up through the lower divisions he has a lot of experience as a DC.
    That's a good find. He does have alot of DC experience and graduated from KSU so he knows about the Big XII. I think he would be a guy that was worth a look.



  6. #6
    Walk On
    Points: 10,903, Level: 31
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 347
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    171
    Points
    10,903
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: A DC that may be worth consideration

    Quote Originally Posted by CYKXBUT View Post
    That's a good find. He does have alot of DC experience and graduated from KSU so he knows about the Big XII. I think he would be a guy that was worth a look.
    He has pretty good credentials - not much for recruiting, however so I think we'd then need to add a LB coach that is also a good recruiter.

    Although my top pick is Dick Bumpas (TCU), another thought that I had was naming either Partridge or Blackwell as Co-Defensive Coordinator and then add a name from a professional coaching staff as the other Co-DC who is relatively young to coaching but has great experience and could help add an additional mentor to our DB's - Marcus Robertson. The former ISU star has been on Tennessee Titans staff the past two year's as an assistant secondary coach after serving as a mentor for the players in the prior years.

    If we went with Partridge, he could also be the ST coach but we would still need a LB coach. If we went with Blackwell, then we would still need a separate ST coach.



  7. #7
    Legend
    Points: 179,824, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    12,811
    Points
    179,824
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 155
    Given: 597

    Re: A DC that may be worth consideration

    Quote Originally Posted by SwirlingFloater View Post
    Chizik hired the Minnesota DC at Auburn because in his first year Minnesota went from the worst defense in the country to middle of the pack. He might be a heck of a coach, but that one year jump could be attributable to other things besides being an outstanding coach.
    He also hired Ted Roof because he's an Auburn alum (linebacker), and quieted the alums...



  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 44,689, Level: 65
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 861
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    tyler24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,053
    Points
    44,689
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 17

    Re: A DC that may be worth consideration

    I am personally hoping for greg hudson.
    East Carolina Official Athletic Site
    Never mentioned by anyone but he has midwest ties it seems and solid background.



  9. #9
    Legend
    Points: 179,824, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    12,811
    Points
    179,824
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 155
    Given: 597

    Re: A DC that may be worth consideration

    I'm thinking it's someone involved in a recent (current) bowl game, or else he would have been named already.

    Either that, or Rhoads can't find anyone willing to coach a unit nearly bereft of talent.



  10. #10
    Starter
    Points: 19,172, Level: 42
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 678
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    bfross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    867
    Points
    19,172
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

    Re: A DC that may be worth consideration

    Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    I'm thinking it's someone involved in a recent (current) bowl game, or else he would have been named already.

    Either that, or Rhoads can't find anyone willing to coach a unit nearly bereft of talent.
    Could be that he is interviewing candidates at the upcoming coaches convention. That might mean he has missed on a few of his first choices, but that is not necessarily a bad thing (see Carrol at USC and Ferentz at Iowa as they have done well for 3rd or 4th choices).

    AFCA Convention - News - AFCA.com—Official Site of the American Football Coaches Association



  11. #11
    Rookie
    Points: 10,437, Level: 30
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 113
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    374
    Points
    10,437
    Level
    30
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 6

    Re: A DC that may be worth consideration

    I still think their is an outside possibility it is Ron Aiken from the AZ Cardinals and they should lose this weekend. I think most thought they would lose last weekend.

    He was well respected by Hawkeye fans and left for the NFL because wasn't going anywhere under Norm.

    http://www.azcardinals.com/team/staf....php?PRKey=173


    Last edited by CycloneBax; 01-08-2009 at 11:21 PM. Reason: added link

  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 43,364, Level: 64
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 886
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    scyclonekid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,098
    Points
    43,364
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 3

    Re: A DC that may be worth consideration

    I am sure who ever Coach Rhoades picks it will be a good get.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM