Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

Re: Great article on ESPN on UTAH

If schedules are all equal, then yeah, Utah is the National Champ. But they are not. Stick Utah in the SEC or Big 12, and they are not undefeated. Still very good, absolutely. But very unlikely that they make it through perfect. Just ask Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Florida, USC, etc. how hard that is.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 154
    Given: 22

Quote Originally Posted by cstrunk View Post
    If schedules are all equal, then yeah, Utah is the National Champ. But they are not. Stick Utah in the SEC or Big 12, and they are not undefeated. Still very good, absolutely. But very unlikely that they make it through perfect. Just ask Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Florida, USC, etc. how hard that is.
    Utah, with our schedule in the Big 12, could have very well finsished undefeated.

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 446
    Given: 307

The thing is, we'll never know. What we do know is Utah was the #1 team in the Mountain West and beat the #2 teams from both the Pac 10 and SEC (which spent a good portion of their season rated as the best team in America).

Utah did everything it was asked of them (play a difficult non-conference schedule, go undefeated, including in a very difficult conference, etc.) and it still isn't good enough for the system - what more does Utah need to do?

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    The thing is, we'll never know. What we do know is Utah was the #1 team in the Mountain West and beat the #2 teams from both the Pac 10 and SEC (which spent a good portion of their season rated as the best team in America).

Utah did everything it was asked of them (play a difficult non-conference schedule, go undefeated, including in a very difficult conference, etc.) and it still isn't good enough for the system - what more does Utah need to do?

worm their way into a power conference.

Carrying the banner for ISU.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 148
    Given: 25

Utah won the national championship, who cares about the BCS.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pro
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 318
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 57

Even though he does not bring it up he is lobbying for a play-off system. Which is company policy at ESPN. If we start a play off system in College football you might as well take the top 25 winingest programs and put them in their own league. A play off will greatly strengthen their already lofty position by giving them additional exposure, money, recruiting advantage, ect. The other 90 teams (including us) will be looked upon as never having a chance at the national spotlight.

Last edited by intrepid27; 01-07-2009 at 02:58 PM.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by intrepid27 View Post
    Even though he does not bring it up he is lobbying for a play-off system. Which is company policy at ESPN. If we start a play off system in College football you might as well take the top 25 winningest programs and put them in their own league. A play off will greatly strengthen their already lofty position by giving them additional exposure, money, recruiting advantage, ect. The other 90 teams (including us) will be looked upon as never having a chance at the national spotlight.
    agree

Carrying the banner for ISU.

Walk On
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 341
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Another thought, The Pac 10 is the best conference based on bowl games (5-0), yet the Pac 10 went just 1-6 (i think?) against the Mountain West. Utah went undefeated in the MWC and as a poster said above, beat the Pac 10 and SEC #2 teams (as well as TCU and BYU).

If I had a vote, I'd give it to Utah

For I for S forever!

Pro
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 890
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 18

But they won in the conference that they are in thats they are supposed to do. You cant always say that they wouldnt win there cause they beat an SEC team. They beat Alabama in there bowl game and did it in fashion. Not some last second heroics. So in my opinion they deserve to atleast be co champs.

"Its time to roll up our sleeves, put on our hard hats and go to work together"

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 621
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

BS argument. TCU, BYU, Utah are all quality teams that could moer then play their way through any conference. A team like TCU gets better recruits then half the BCS team. Don't believe me...go look.

It could be argued that the Mountain West was every bit as good as the ACC, Big East and the Big 10 this year. And Utah beat opponents from the SEC , Pac 10, and the Big 10. they played as many quality opponents as anyone in the country.

Take any team from a BCS conference and give them the credentials Utah has and they would crown them.

Last edited by tazclone; 01-07-2009 at 02:53 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,435
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Even though he does not bring it up he is lobbying for a play-off system. Which is company policy at ESPN. If we start a play off system in College football you might as well take the top 25 winningest programs and put them in their own league. A play off will greatly strengthen their already lofty position by giving them additional exposure, money, recruiting advantage, ect. The other 90 teams (including us) will be looked upon as never having a chance at the national spotlight.
    Isn't that pretty much what happens now? How would having a playoff make it any different, except for giving more teams a chance to play for the championship?

Addict
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,383
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

One thing to remember, is you can't say one team 1 is better than team 2 because team 1 beat team 3, and team 3 beat team 2. That property only works in math. Not sports.

Thus, saying Utah is better than USC because they beat Oregon State, while Oregon State beat USC should hold NO weight in any argument. We all like to use this thinking in arguing in trying to decide who is better, but unless the two teams play each other you can't say who would win.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by tazgolfv View Post
    BS argument. TCU, BYU, Utah are all quality teams that could moer then play their way through any conference. A team like TCU gets better recruits then half the BCS team. Don't believe me...go look.

It could be argued that the Mountain West was every bit as good as the ACC, Big East and the Big 10 this year. And Utah beat opponents from the SEC and the Big 10. they played as many quality opponents as anyone in the country.

Take any team from a BCS conference and give them the credentials Utah has and they would crown them.
    Haha how bout you go look? TCU does not get better recruits than half the BCS.

The Mountain West was better than the Big 10 and Big East this year, but that isn't saying a lot.

Utah SHOULD NOT BE the national champ. They are the Boise St of this year. Catch a team that thought they would be playing in a national championship game and wasn't ready to play and beat them. That is all.

If Utah was in a big conference, they would have lost 2-3 games this year at least

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I dont like the idea of a playoff. I do like the idea of a, if necessary, plus 1 championship game. I say if necessary for years like this, in my mind Utah did everything they had to do and deserve the National Championship. But say if UF or OU were undefeated and playing for a perfect record then play the plus one.

All top tier bowl games would be played on Jan 1, 2 then play the plus 1 if needed a week later just like the regular season see which team prepares the best under the pressure and who deserves the National Championship.