Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 53,211, Level: 71
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    KMAC_ATTACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Waterloo
    Posts
    2,223
    Points
    53,211
    Level
    71
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 2

    Defensive Recruiting

    From our past season, we all agree our defense can use another off season of strength and conditioning but also some new leadership and infusion of talent.

    Figuring we have about 10 scholarships left, if we split the remaining on offense and defense, that would leave us about 5-6 players on each side of the ball to recruit if everyone stays committed.

    Here's some names and positions that i think would help immediately.

    DT Charles Deas (JUCO) originally signed with LSU out of high school and Auburn was recruiting him before turnover. This kid is big and athletic exactly what we need on our interior.

    DT Emeka Iweka (Juco) big kid, 6-5 330 pounds and he's not a robust 330 either. Appears very fit and athletic and again as said about Deas, our interior needs size to clog the middle and establish a line of scrimmage.

    DE Delano Johnson (Juco) is visiting Ames later this month. Appears to have size and speed needed at the big 12 level.

    DE Taylor Martin (Juco) originally committed, not sure if that commit is still valid but has size and speed needed to add depth and apply pressure at one of our thinner positions.

    DE LaChris Anyiam (HS) would be great to get him into the program and redshirt him to allow him to gain size and experience.

    LB with already having three LB's committed all high schoolers, i would love to see an impact LB for this year.
    LB Mike Marry (HS) this kid has the ability to start early on in his career and would be a serious talent for our new DC to use in various ways.
    LB Justin Hickman (Juco) this kid has size 6'3 230 and speed 4.55 to play at this level and allow our HS kids to RS if needed.
    LB Jake Knott (HS) not heavily recruited but has all the tools. Good size 6-2 210 and speed 4.5 which is desperately needed at our LB across the board.

    CB are in pretty solid shape, if we could get a solid commit to RS that would be adding much needed depth for playing in the pass happy big 12.

    Safety - IMO one of weakest positions as far as performance on the field last year. Saw a lot of our safeties trailing plays as opponents WR or RB crossed the goal lines. Need impact players back here badly. With Butler already committed that's a huge plus if he can come in and contribute early on.

    S- Bradley Wallace, kid has the physical tools to play as a true freshman if his game is equal to the physical aspect.

    Give me 5-6 of these players along with our already committed defensive players and our defense could be greatly improved.

    If you wanted my top 5 (within reason):
    Deas
    Iweka
    Marry
    Hickman
    Wallace

    I know there's other names out there like gaines etc etc, but, i'm trying to be realistic. That kid is going to a SEC team unless our new hire Price can convince him that "The Price is Right"!!!!!!



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 391,210, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 95.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    57,079
    Points
    391,210
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 311
    Given: 257

    Re: Defensive Recruiting

    Emeka sounds like another Rubin.


    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 17,716, Level: 40
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 334
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,312
    Points
    17,716
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 1

    Re: Defensive Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post
    From our past season, we all agree our defense can use another off season of strength and conditioning but also some new leadership and infusion of talent.

    Figuring we have about 10 scholarships left, if we split the remaining on offense and defense, that would leave us about 5-6 players on each side of the ball to recruit if everyone stays committed.

    Here's some names and positions that i think would help immediately.

    DT Charles Deas (JUCO) originally signed with LSU out of high school and Auburn was recruiting him before turnover. This kid is big and athletic exactly what we need on our interior.

    DT Emeka Iweka (Juco) big kid, 6-5 330 pounds and he's not a robust 330 either. Appears very fit and athletic and again as said about Deas, our interior needs size to clog the middle and establish a line of scrimmage.

    DE Delano Johnson (Juco) is visiting Ames later this month. Appears to have size and speed needed at the big 12 level.

    DE Taylor Martin (Juco) originally committed, not sure if that commit is still valid but has size and speed needed to add depth and apply pressure at one of our thinner positions.

    DE LaChris Anyiam (HS) would be great to get him into the program and redshirt him to allow him to gain size and experience.

    LB with already having three LB's committed all high schoolers, i would love to see an impact LB for this year.
    LB Mike Marry (HS) this kid has the ability to start early on in his career and would be a serious talent for our new DC to use in various ways.
    LB Justin Hickman (Juco) this kid has size 6'3 230 and speed 4.55 to play at this level and allow our HS kids to RS if needed.
    LB Jake Knott (HS) not heavily recruited but has all the tools. Good size 6-2 210 and speed 4.5 which is desperately needed at our LB across the board.

    CB are in pretty solid shape, if we could get a solid commit to RS that would be adding much needed depth for playing in the pass happy big 12.

    Safety - IMO one of weakest positions as far as performance on the field last year. Saw a lot of our safeties trailing plays as opponents WR or RB crossed the goal lines. Need impact players back here badly. With Butler already committed that's a huge plus if he can come in and contribute early on.

    S- Bradley Wallace, kid has the physical tools to play as a true freshman if his game is equal to the physical aspect.

    Give me 5-6 of these players along with our already committed defensive players and our defense could be greatly improved.

    If you wanted my top 5 (within reason):
    Deas
    Iweka
    Marry
    Hickman
    Wallace

    I know there's other names out there like gaines etc etc, but, i'm trying to be realistic. That kid is going to a SEC team unless our new hire Price can convince him that "The Price is Right"!!!!!!
    Do you have any idea if any of these players, espcially the jucos, you listed have any interest in Iowa State and vice versa? I mean, I guess it's nice to make out wish lists, but I'd like mine to at least have some possibility of coming true. This is the first I've seen some of those names connected to ISU.



  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 78,442, Level: 87
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,708
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    twojman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Clive
    Posts
    4,407
    Points
    78,442
    Level
    87
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 18

    Re: Defensive Recruiting

    I want some DT's! If the line play does not improve by leaps and bounds from the 2008 season, my friends we are staring at 3 wins...



  5. #5
    All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    bmuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,583
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Defensive Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by twojman View Post
    I want some DT's! If the line play does not improve by leaps and bounds from the 2008 season, my friends we are staring at 3 wins...
    I think that our DTs will automatically get better with Bailey Johnson back. Add in McDonough coming off RS and a year in the weightroom for Ruempolhamer and things aren't too bad there. I still wouldn't mind a JUCO and a FR or two to RS.

    DE is another story. We pretty much have four on the roster...two SRs and two RSFR. They need to keep Martin, find another JUCO and sign two more FR.

    I'm not too worried about LB with three already committed. Marry would be great. Knott would be a decent fall back this late if Marry goes somewhere else, but three should be enough.

    I'm fine at CB with the two committed, but safety is a major priority. They NEED to get Butler back in the fold and in for the second semester. And they need to find at least one more to go with him...JUCO if necessary.


    XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX

  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 53,211, Level: 71
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    KMAC_ATTACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Waterloo
    Posts
    2,223
    Points
    53,211
    Level
    71
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 2

    Re: Defensive Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by Bipolarcy View Post
    Do you have any idea if any of these players, espcially the jucos, you listed have any interest in Iowa State and vice versa? I mean, I guess it's nice to make out wish lists, but I'd like mine to at least have some possibility of coming true. This is the first I've seen some of those names connected to ISU.
    Your right, the two DT are simply guys with no affiliation, but not unrealistic. They're not 4-5* guys that i think we would have no shot at. They're simply the biggest dudes out there in the JC ranks that i think we could get if we pursued. Deas is 6-5 315 and Iweka is 6-6 330. And for me, and the games i saw last season, our DT was manhandled - period. The one bright spot i saw at the end of the year was it looked like Nate Frere had really turned the corner. But he needs to get bigger and stronger to man the middle. But the remaining DT we have on the depth chart are at 276, 285, 281, 275. We need size in the middle to clog the middle and force the runs outside the tackles. Allow our speed at LB to work in our advantage because we dont have size at LB to withstand the beating of Guards and Tackles pulling and cracking them all game.

    Everyone else on the list had ISU listed as interested. Get these two big cloggers, if you look at EIU with King and Kroul, that was the heart of that defense. You get two big DT that eat up blockers and force teams outside and suddenly i think our DE's may look better if they're not facing double teams all game long!!!! What i saw last year was Kurtis Taylor being double teamed almost every play. If your DT's are not eating up blockers, that frees them to float to blitzers or DE whichever is applying pressure.

    Not a wish list. I think our biggest need is size and strength in the middle. We get this on our defense and our defense will be better day one. And while we're at it, i'm not worried about the offense - with our returners, i see 27-30 pts a game out of this group and maybe more. Our defense has to be able to stop someone!!!!



  7. #7
    Legend
    Points: 178,633, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    12,626
    Points
    178,633
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 315

    Re: Defensive Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post
    Get these two big cloggers, if you look at EIU with King and Kroul, that was the heart of that defense.
    That's true. And both of those guys went about 6-3 280, not 6-5 330.

    I'll trust Coach Rhoads to evaluate the players he has, and to recruit to the perceived needs of his system. And as bmuff so wisely stated above, there are obvious shortages at end that must be addressed immediately.

    That, a middle linebacker, and a safety. Patch gaping holes first, then evaluate to see whether you need to upgrade.

    Of corse, I also hope he manages to uncover a couple more athletic offensive linemen, but that's another story.



  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 28,432, Level: 51
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    mizouse87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    1,741
    Points
    28,432
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Defensive Recruiting

    You might want to add Tevin Mims to the list.

    Tevin Mims - Football Recruiting

    And, whatever happened to Akeem Spence? Why aren't we discussing him anymore? I still feel as if we have a legitimate chance of getting him.

    Scout.com: Akeem Spence Profile



  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 53,211, Level: 71
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    KMAC_ATTACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Waterloo
    Posts
    2,223
    Points
    53,211
    Level
    71
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 2

    Re: Defensive Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    That's true. And both of those guys went about 6-3 280, not 6-5 330.

    I'll trust Coach Rhoads to evaluate the players he has, and to recruit to the perceived needs of his system. And as bmuff so wisely stated above, there are obvious shortages at end that must be addressed immediately.

    That, a middle linebacker, and a safety. Patch gaping holes first, then evaluate to see whether you need to upgrade.

    Of corse, I also hope he manages to uncover a couple more athletic offensive linemen, but that's another story.
    Excellent point on K&K both at 280-281.....but they would be the minority of having huge success at that size in the middle. I too will trust PR to evaluate the team, but, i'm not doggin him, i'm simply giving my opinion.

    ACLONE please don't compare anyone on our DL to King or Kroul there is no comparison - not even Frere.......I know were young, but i would take those two guys in a heartbeat. You watch next year, Hawk fans are already downplaying the loss of those two studs.....we will see how great that defense really is without K&K.......

    Agree on the MLB and Safety and a few OL - especially a tackle that can handle the spot vacated by Dedrick. Thats the one big unknown right now going into spring - who's going to be on the line, how does Hermans offense schemes change the blocking and how do our current players fit that scheme. If they fit it well, our offense will score points!!!!! Will be interesting to see if AA or JT is a better fit in Hermans system. AA has a lot of game experience and had very decent success considering but JT has been awesome in practices last year - thus the Bates transfer....



  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 28,432, Level: 51
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    mizouse87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    1,741
    Points
    28,432
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Defensive Recruiting

    This is just a shot in the dark, but here's a safety that decommited from Auburn after the coaching change. It does not say who was recruiting him and it also looks like he's interested in southern schools, but we may have some interest in him.

    David Conner - Football Recruiting

    Here's another that we may have a shot at getting. Terry Price was recruiting him for Auburn.

    http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com...p?pr_key=68417


    Last edited by mizouse87; 01-06-2009 at 10:27 AM.

  11. #11
    Legend
    Points: 216,783, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    10,222
    Points
    216,783
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 187
    Given: 242

    Re: Defensive Recruiting

    DE LaChris Anyiam (HS) would be great to get him into the program and redshirt him to allow him to gain size and experience.
    I want LaChris really bad. I like it when Parents don't beleive the name is strong enough so they add LA or DE on the front of it. So basically anyone name LaChris or DeMarcus is alright with me.



  12. #12
    All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    bmuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,583
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Defensive Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    That's true. And both of those guys went about 6-3 280, not 6-5 330.
    With the way the Big XII is so spread-oriented, do we really WANT two big cloggers inside? I mean, what good would they do against TT or UT or Mizzou or KU? They hardly run inside anyway. I'd rather have a rotation of smaller, quicker guys with a couple of big dudes to throw in there on short yardage downs. Mitch King would be perfect in the Big XII...a DT that can get past his man and blow up these short quick spread passes.


    XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX

  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 350,732, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    isucyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    19,856
    Points
    350,732
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 1

    Re: Defensive Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    I want LaChris really bad. I like it when Parents don't beleive the name is strong enough so they add LA or DE on the front of it. So basically anyone name LaChris or DeMarcus is alright with me.
    That doesn't really explain Lafester Rhodes, though.


    Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

  14. #14
    Legend
    Points: 216,783, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    10,222
    Points
    216,783
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 187
    Given: 242

    Re: Defensive Recruiting

    That doesn't really explain Lafester Rhodes, though.
    Dude. You just blew my mind. All though LaFester could have had a mom that liked the Adams Family.



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 98,397, Level: 97
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    tejasclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    5,800
    Points
    98,397
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 28

    Re: Defensive Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    I want LaChris really bad. I like it when Parents don't beleive the name is strong enough so they add LA or DE on the front of it. So basically anyone name LaChris or DeMarcus is alright with me.
    DeAndre Jackson and LaMarcus Hicks agree with you.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM