Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Interesting convo with a couple hawk fans

I'm warning everyone ahead of time...this is a bit long but perhaps worth it in the end to read!

So generally I'm not the type to seriously discuss sports on such a medium as Facebook, but the status of a certain friend of mine on facebook struck me as odd earlier this evening...the particular hawk fan (who shall remain nameless) posted this as his status on facebook
    "USC is gonna go to the Rose bowl for the 5th straight year next year.....To bad Iowa is gonna stomp them and run the table 13-0"

Now this particular friend has no allegiance to EIU in any particular way other than being raised in Iowa...just the usual hawk fan that attended some other school in Iowa that perpetually believes EIU is the best in the nation and is nothing to be messed around with...attempting to say something somewhat lighthearted yet to the point i commented on his status as such:
    "too bad Iowa loses their entire offense when Shonn Greene leaves for the draft...but I forgot the hawkeyes will always compete for an undefeated national championship in the eyes of their fans (or just people who never graduated from the U of I but still feel the need to be attached to a university in the state of iowa)..."

Within seconds of my post another perpetual EIU fan (again without ever setting foot on EIU's campus) replied:
    "hey hey hey sorry isu went like 2-10 and ur only hope of a great coach bailed out on you"

This seemed fairly level headed, but completely off point from what my initial intent was...which was to poke fun at the fact that someone with no ties to EIU was making an outlandish yet seemingly non-surprising comment for a hawkeye-homer...so I replied
    "never meant to bring ISU's own inability to win games into an argument with (now) 2 hawk fans...just was commenting on the fact that U of I fans always think an undefeated Rose Bowl championship season is right around the corner...even when the best running back ever to attend the U of I (not to mention 75% of the offense) is leaving for greener pastures in the NFL and their second best coach ever will proabably take a better job in the NFL as well..."

Apparently my words were heresay and completely unfounded as another EIU fan (this time one actually attending the U of I) replied again within minutes of my last post
    "Shoop your really ******** and i hate using that word but you just might be. The Hawks return a large portion of their squad for next season. Yah Greene will be the biggest loss but if you had seen any game this season you would recognize the talent we have in our backup RB Jewel Hampton. And I do believe the hawks were just a mere 12 total pts away from hypothetically playing in a national championship. Besides a close loss to Illinois all our losses took place while we were in the middle of a QB controversy. And the comment about having fans that never graduated from UI. So ******* what. The fact we have so many fans is what makes game days in Iowa City a spectacle compared to that **** you do in Ames that you call tailgating. And when people live in Iowa w/o a pro football team it is nice they have a good college program they can attach themselves too instead of your pathetic one. You have no room to talk anything college football, you literally live in college football hell"

And apparently not having made his point, posted this again minutes later:
    "Hampton averaged 5.1 yards per carry to Greenes 6 yards per carry. And Hampton has 7 TD's to Greenes 20. Pretty damn good for a true freshmen backup to the best RB in college football. Instead of calling Greene 75% of the offense maybe we should talk about the offensive line that you football incompetent mind must of forgotten. An offensive line that will be returning for next year. Hampton is only a freshmen so look for him to make great improvement next year. The only reason anyone could like ISU is if they had to pay and go there 4+ years and sit through all that athletic disgrace. There is a reason why this is a hawkeye state. Because we have the best college athletics in the state. Although (original poster) is predicting football imortality next year the general consensus among hawkeye fans is that we will improve next year but with two away games at Penn State and Ohio State the chances at a rose bowl will be difficult. pwnd"

Although some good points were made sparsely throughout the argument, i found it funny that what I thought to be a somewhat small point about hawkeye homers predicting an undefeated season got blown up into a huge debate declaring ISU "football hell" rather funny...again sorry so long but I was just curious about anyone's opinons on this topic and if anyone found this funny as well!

Last edited by keepngoal; 01-03-2009 at 10:05 AM. Reason: filter

Rookie
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 668
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Interesting convo with a couple hawk fans

Never mind that it wasn't that long ago that they were asking for Christensen to start over Tate,

and never mind that they were 16 (not 12. Make them think about it) points from that "undefeated season"

and never mind that I would take ISU tailgating rather than u of i "having a bloody mary before hiking 5 miles to get to the game" crap they try to pull in Iowa City in a heart beat...

They used my second biggest pet peeve (behind "could care less" instead of "couldn't care less"...) in using "literally" as word of emphasis, rather than its...ahem...literal meaning...

"I'm starting to think some Iowa fans heads are getting too big." -- Tigerhawk22

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 548
    Given: 489

I was led to believe they would be National Champs about 5 years ago. Quit wasting your time arguing with them on Facebook, or any other forum. Stupidity might be contagious and I fear for you.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,816
    Given: 1,524

Whose sig is it that says, "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."? I'd be careful about getting in too deep with this bunch. They could probably make a turned-off light bulb look dimmer.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Pro
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 333
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 123
    Given: 43

Of course iowa has a chance to go undefeated every year, they play in the big ten

Walk On
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 437
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree that Hawk fans can be delusional....however, I didn't attend Iowa State. Does this make me less of a fan? I've rooted for the clones my whole life. Would you prefer that I quit buying tickets and supporting Iowa State since I don't have a degree from there? I just think it's a silly arguement to make since many clone fans didn't attend ISU either.

James W. Myers

Addict
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 942
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 54

That is some funny stuff. I got a good friend that is a EIU fan but even he is human enough to admin the Little 11 was horrid this year. To boast about EIU accomplishing something this year is without merit.

Fanatic #25

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 303
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

There is a jihadist wing to all fan bases, but it seems like when the hawkeyes have a decent year, that's when the real crazies come out with these ridiculous statements. I drink alot of iowa state kool-aid,
    i'm an optimist though, not a realist, and these guys are out of their mind. It's too bad USC's third string has more talent than anything this state ever puts on the field.

“There have been a lotta tough guys. There have been pretenders. And there have been contenders. But there is only one king.”

Starter Achievements:

Thumbs Up

You're a lesser fan because you didn't attend the school you root for? Dumbest argument ever.

Why limit your fanbase to your alumni base?

Senator Pollard would like your money, regardless of where you did or didn't go to college.

I think many on here take it as a badge of honor that we went to ISU and support our athletics, but the sad truth is, there would be little reason to otherwise.

Also, keep in mind, people are predicting 9 wins on our own board, which is a bigger win improvement than it would be for the Hawks to go undefeated.

Iowa has also finished the regular season ranked in the top 10...actually, 3 times in a row. They've been fairly close and if they didn't lose to us, may have played in the National Championship game in '02.

We've never finished the season ranked...period. So, who's more pie in the sky with their predictions?

A three legged dog walks into a bar and says, "I'm lookin' for the man who shot my paw."

Addict
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 229
    Given: 59

Looks like you got into it with some winners there. I like how the last guy's last word was 'pwnd'. Really? Were you arguing with a 12 year old? Hogeye fans never cease to amaze me. Oh, I also like the whole we were only 'so many points from paying in the NC' crap. That fan base is so damn arrogant.

Last edited by Stewo; 01-03-2009 at 09:53 AM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

Quote Originally Posted by CLONE2THEBONE View Post

We've never finished the season ranked...period. So, who's more pie in the sky with their predictions?
    That is not true, Sage's team finished 25th in the final poll. Might have been better if we were more respected.

You know, if UofI is 16 points from the undefeated season, they are also 8 point from 2 more losses and barely bowl eligible.

Last edited by agcy68; 01-03-2009 at 09:48 AM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 170
    Given: 115

Didnt take long for that talk did it. Dont forget their biggest hype machine has a website and radio show. I was talking to couple fans about KF leaving, they think its a done deal and Mike Stoops will be the next coach and that would be a great hire. Yet the ripped ISU for going after him.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 303
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    Didnt take long for that talk did it. Dont forget their biggest hype machine has a website and radio show. I was talking to couple fans about KF leaving, they think its a done deal and Mike Stoops will be the next coach and that would be a great hire. Yet the ripped ISU for going after him.
    At least they would finally hire a Stoops. They probably think Bobby will come once they lose the NC game.

“There have been a lotta tough guys. There have been pretenders. And there have been contenders. But there is only one king.”

Walk On
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 278
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Any fan of any team is going to hang their hat on any positive aspect of their program. The Hawkeyes deserve to be excited for this season. They started 3-3 and finished 9-4. That is impressive. I personally don't believe that Greene is the greatest running back in Iowa's history. He is just the Troy Davis of their team. They had nothing else to use but him. The passing game was deliquent all year. Greene does deserve props for being beat on all year and still getting out there to play. The point is after a season like that there are going to be homers out there who make statements like this. I am a cylclone fan living in Iowa City so comments like these are as common as the wind blowing. Just yesterday a guy I work with told me that Iowa won the BIG TEN!!! How do they get to this reasoning? Who knows, but just let is roll off your back, give props where it is due and let the Hawkeye fan base tear down their team on their own. Believe me, they are their own worst enemy. One thing goes wrong and they cannibalize themselves. Just ask Norm Parker. GO CYCLONES!!!

Rookie
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 651
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    Really? What evidence do they have that it's a done deal?

The common belief on this is the only way Ferentz even goes is if Pioli takes the job with Cleveland, and even then, it's a long shot with Ferentz wanting all his children to go through the same school and his son being on the team.

To be honest, there's more evidence suggesting that he's staying than going.