Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 881
    Given: 620

John Skaldany News Release

UCF Names John Skladany Defensive Coordinator

Skladany joins Golden Knights after 10-year stint at Iowa State. He replaces Lance Thompson on the UCF staff.

New UCF defensive coordinator John Skladany

Dec. 4, 2006
    Orlando, Fla. (www.ucfathletics.com) - UCF Head Coach George O'Leary announced the hiring of John Skladany to fill the role of defensive coordinator on the Golden Knights' football coaching staff on Monday. Skladany joins the staff from Iowa State University where he spent the previous 10 seasons as the Cyclone's defensive coordinator.
    "We are very fortunate to bring in a man of John's quality to be a part of our coaching staff at UCF," O'Leary said. "His prior successes will help bring this program to the level we want it to be."
    During his 10 seasons with the Cyclones, the defense improved dramatically and his 2005 unit ranked 12th nationally against the run and 35th in total defense. Iowa State advanced to five bowl games during his tenure.
    "I have known Coach O'Leary for a quite a while and this is a great opportunity for me to come in and work with a man of his stature in this profession," Skladany said. "The potential at UCF is remarkable with the new facilities, the recruiting base and to be in a city as vibrant as Orlando."
    Prior to his stint at ISU, Skladany spent time as a collegiate assistant coach at Colorado State (1993-95), helping the Rams to a pair of WAC titles and Holiday Bowl berths. He also coached at Northern Arizona (1990-92), Ohio (1985-89), Maine (1981-84) and the United States Merchant Marine Academy (1980). Skladany also spent two seasons coaching at the prep level at Utica High School (Ohio) after earning his master's degree as a graduate assistant at Ohio University. He played collegiately at Central Connecticut State where he earned a bachelor's degree.

Last edited by Wesley; 12-18-2006 at 11:34 PM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 593
    Given: 364

Re: John Skaldany News Release

Congrats to Skladany for finding a new job quickly. Defense was a big part of why we had some success in the past 6 years.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Second that.

I had the priviledge of sitting with John at a "Meet the Coaches Night" in Des Moines a few years ago and he was a very friendly, very engaging person - unlike a few other AD officials we've had in previous events. I also think he got a bum rap this season given the youth of the D and the fact that the offense was beyone inept.

Last edited by DaddyMac; 12-18-2006 at 11:55 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 213
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

This is the one guy I didnt want to see leave.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Asst. Regional Manager
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,106
    Given: 927

You know, I was watching some old tapes from our successful seasons....it was made evident to me the coaching was there....these guys know how to coach...the difference was it seemed we had better overall talent as well as more depth....i suppose thats one of the reasons we have new coaches...for recruiting purposes as well as in game coaching....best of luck to skladany!

@RandomGeoFacts

Pro
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 250
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 226

Skladany was a class guy and a good coach. Listened to him speak several times and he always had energy and was willing to talk to you about football. I wish him the best of luck.

Go Cyclones!!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 881
    Given: 620

I think lack of young talent clobbered our team. We made some unwise recruiting choices. When we lost two years in a row of winning the North, we lost all recruiting momentum and went to the back of the pack. It ios hard to recruit people to Ames and to Manhattan. Manhattan has Ft Riley down the road. Not an enticer. Lawrence is no great balls of fire either since it is basically just a town built around a college. Why live in Lawrence if you can live in Overland Park?

For instance, an in-state Iowa player probably, everything else being equal, would choose to go party in iowa City versus Ames unless you like engineering or ag business.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,517
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 132
    Given: 128

Ummm, where are all the complainers about the bend but don't break spot the receiver 5 yards every down instead of trying to play tight defensive strategy we have used for the past 10 years? He couldn't have been that great of a DC, or else he would not have lasted 10 years at ISU. We've had some studs on defense the past few years which have made the difference, but have never been able to stop the pass even when everyone and their grandma knew it would be a pass.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

When we had the talented and experienced corners ala Ellis Hobbs, DeAndre Jackson etc, we did play a man up D with those players.

You can't expect a RS Frosh and soph corners, like we had this season, to go up against elite and experienced receivers that Texas, OU, Tech, NU have. And especially when you have a front line that lost a returning LB to injury, another to dope, and a D-end to stupidity. In the end, we had zero pass rush and you can't play man d for 7 seconds with zero pass rush. How many sacks did we have this year? 3.... 4?

More often than not, the problem with ISU has been that it's offense hasn't lived up to it's end of the bargain. That was certainly the case this year. Just last year Barney Cotton had to apologize to the defense. BTW, we had perhaps our best defense EVER. And even during the Seneca years, our D rarely got shelled, and when it did it was because the O turned it over (if not let the opposing D score directly) deep in our own territory. Watch the KSU, OU and Texas game from '02 for examples.

I'm not crazy about everything he did. But I'll take Skladany over any one of our O-Coord during his term.

Last edited by DaddyMac; 12-19-2006 at 12:15 PM.