Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

McFarland

Why does everybody have it out for McFarland and his ability as offensive coordinator? I admit that I was baffled by his play calling in a few games (Colorado especially). However, the 2007 offense ranked 103rd in the country in yards per game and improved to 44th at 386 yards per game this year. That was more than our Bowl teams of 2004 and 2005. He accomplished all of this with a line full of freshman and sophomores, a sophomore qb and running back, and a very young group of receivers save RJ. Finally, he has recruited two lineman (Spears and Wempa) to ISU after Chizik left for Auburn. That's a pretty loyal and tough thing to do when you don't know exactly what you are selling to the kid and their families. Maybe I'm the only one that thinks he should still be in charge of the offense next year. What are everybody else's thoughts???

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 43

Re: McFarland

We don't score points. It's pretty simple. I don't think he's terrible but not good.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 203
    Given: 452

It probably wont happen, but I wouldnt be upset seeing him as our OC next year. We scored about 7 ppg more last year. Good improvement.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by arganbright2 View Post
    Why does everybody have it out for McFarland and his ability as offensive coordinator? I admit that I was baffled by his play calling in a few games (Colorado especially). However, the 2007 offense ranked 103rd in the country in yards per game and improved to 44th at 386 yards per game this year. That was more than our Bowl teams of 2004 and 2005. He accomplished all of this with a line full of freshman and sophomores, a sophomore qb and running back, and a very young group of receivers save RJ. Finally, he has recruited two lineman (Spears and Wempa) to ISU after Chizik left for Auburn. That's a pretty loyal and tough thing to do when you don't know exactly what you are selling to the kid and their families. Maybe I'm the only one that thinks he should still be in charge of the offense next year. What are everybody else's thoughts???
    I'm not a big fan of holdovers from previous staffs. It allows for too many built in excuses if things don't work out. Especially in a position as high as OC. Plus your comment on baffling play calling can not be overlooked.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 646
    Given: 406

O-line coach makes sense, if the players like him.

I see no discussion of Bolt from anyone although apparently the players liked him best.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Pro
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Drive4cy View Post
    We don't score points. It's pretty simple. I don't think he's terrible but not good.
    Agreed, I don't know the number, but I think the problems people take issue with are with the red zone offense.

Yards per game doesn't do any good if you can't cross the Goal line.

That being said I don't think I'd be against keeping him on for another year. A young line could be a huge contributer to not moving it inside the twenty.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 213
    Given: 142

He called weird plays at key times. Didnt know how to get the team to the endzone. Had delay of game calls. I agree he could be the Oline coach but OC is out since he already has lost that. If he didnt lose the OC job it would be eaiser for him to be the OC under PR. IMO he was the asst coach that got screwed the worse when Whizik left.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 203
    Given: 452

Good points by all. I dont know if the improvement in stats was more of a reflection of new players or improvement in coaching.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 646
    Given: 406

The Whiz just flew the coop and left his friends behind. The Whizinator?

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 198
    Given: 26

Offensive line coach: Totally cool with that.

Offensive Coordinator: Please no. Some of his play calls were, for lack of a better word, brutal (see option on 1 yard line vs. Colorado and the read option every other play and 5 yard timing outs on 3rd and 8)

Starter
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I am all with keeping him, and I am a believer in keeping staff, especially when they are good at what they do; it keeps cohesion in the team. The offense was better this year and kept improving. Even if he isn't OC, I would like to see him involved in the OC and keep it simple for the players, if we completely change things offensively, then one or two years are lost with subsequent losing records. I hope Rhodes is smart enough to figure it out or there will be a lot of booing next season when the players fail to execute plays. KEEP IT SIMPLE!!!!!!!!!!! That was the problem with the damn defense.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny25 View Post
    I'm not a big fan of holdovers from previous staffs. It allows for too many built in excuses if things don't work out. Especially in a position as high as OC. Plus your comment on baffling play calling can not be overlooked.
    I want to see the best coaches we can get coaching at ISU. If those coaches are currently on staff, I'm all for it. The good thing about keeping some coaches from the old staff is that it makes for a easier transition for the players.

With that said, I'm not sold on McFarland as OC, but I would like to see him stay around as the Oline coach. Fact is, McFarland is only/still the Oline coach for ISU and has expressed that he would like to stay here. He has made major improvements to the Oline that averaged a hundred sacks a game and about 2 yards per carry when he got here and I think the line will get better as they continue to bring in better talent.

Starter
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 667
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

With Bleil and Fountain both on the staff, I don't think McFarland will be retained as OL coach. The only way that might happen is if Bleil coaches the RBs, but people who know Bleil have indicated that he will coach the OL.

Good luck to all the assistant coaches who won't get retained. They got chizzed too.

Pro
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 642
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by jaretac View Post
    I want to see the best coaches we can get coaching at ISU. If those coaches are currently on staff, I'm all for it. The good thing about keeping some coaches from the old staff is that it makes for a easier transition for the players.

With that said, I'm not sold on McFarland as OC, but I would like to see him stay around as the Oline coach. Fact is, McFarland is only/still the Oline coach for ISU and has expressed that he would like to stay here. He has made major improvements to the Oline that averaged a hundred sacks a game and about 2 yards per carry when he got here and I think the line will get better as they continue to bring in better talent.
    Is there an interview out there that I missed where he professed this, or are you gathering this from his loyalty by continuing to recruit?? (which I admire, btw)

I would love to see him stay on the Offense in some sort of fashion, although not OC like most have said. That would be a pretty underwhelming hire if it did happen, but I see a .01% chance of that.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up

mcfarnland would be a good keep