IT woes; even Microsoft will have sweeping layoffs

Microsoft will layoff 17% of its staff

Link:
    Fudzilla

And when companies cut the IT budget is typically the first to be slashed

Link:
    Ripple Effect Of IT Cuts - Forbes.com

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein
    "If your worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on" Lance Armstrong
    "Dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in." Paris Hilton
    "Money is one of the greatest instruments of freedom ever invented by man." F.A. Hayek

Addict
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 10

Re: IT woes; even Microsoft will have sweeping layoffs

MS is increasingly irrelevant. I don't know that they are really going to recover from this slowdown, to be honest.

Windows 7 better be a home run, otherwise, MS is in deep doodoo, at least as we've always known MS.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

All-Star
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 655
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 6

My company has an IT staff of around 4000 and we have had an IT hiring freeze for almost 2 years and there are now talks of layoffs (although I don't think that will happen). We still make a few new hires for specific skills but it is rare.

My wife's company has had a IT hiring freeze for many years. There IT department is probably around 4k as well. If they need additional resources it is generally short term contracts or outsourced.

Pro
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,310
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Given: 21

It is easy to can the IT guys because management doesn't understand what they do.
    I suppose this shouldn't apply at Microsoft though....

Cyclone42

Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post
    MS is increasingly irrelevant. I don't know that they are really going to recover from this slowdown, to be honest.

Windows 7 better be a home run, otherwise, MS is in deep doodoo, at least as we've always known MS.

Microsoft will be fine. Let's say Windows 7 is a total bust. Not likely, but let's take that argument. MS still has the Xbox 360, all their Windows Server products, business-oriented Windows products, their Office applications products, other software packages they sell (games for PC and Xbox), etc.

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 112
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 4

I'm sorry, but is this statement a joke? Increasingly irrelevant?? I guess, only if you think 90%+ market share in computer operating systems, >50% market share in server software, and a growing Entertainment division is called irrelevant. Biggest company in the world is irrelevant folks! I guess we are in deep ****.

Last edited by chadm; 01-02-2009 at 10:59 AM.

Burgermeister!
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 416
    Given: 862

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone42 View Post
    Microsoft will be fine. Let's say Windows 7 is a total bust. Not likely, but let's take that argument. MS still has the Xbox 360, all their Windows Server products, business-oriented Windows products, their Office applications products, other software packages they sell (games for PC and Xbox), etc.
    Does the XBox hardware make any money? Or is it a loss leader to get their box on people's tvs?

Server products are getting pushed hard by open source alternatives.

Office applications are being pushed by both open source and online products that do similar things for lower costs and less hassle.

If MS does fumble the ball with Windows 7, what will that mean? It will mean that many businesses are still running Windows XP with its clock running out and will start looking for a way out of that - an alternative OS platform (or even just a net-based platform) upon which they can do their business upon.

MS will not be in trouble with the home market as long as Windows 7 has the eye candy and runs games well. But I think that they make a lot of their money in corporate IT.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 874
    Given: 607

That is why they left soft in their names. Seems like their heyday may be passed.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 874
    Given: 607

Quote Originally Posted by TykeClone View Post
    Does the XBox hardware make any money? Or is it a loss leader to get their box on people's tvs?

Server products are getting pushed hard by open source alternatives.

Office applications are being pushed by both open source and online products that do similar things for lower costs and less hassle.

If MS does fumble the ball with Windows 7, what will that mean? It will mean that many businesses are still running Windows XP with its clock running out and will start looking for a way out of that - an alternative OS platform (or even just a net-based platform) upon which they can do their business upon.

MS will not be in trouble with the home market as long as Windows 7 has the eye candy and runs games well. But I think that they make a lot of their money in corporate IT.

XBox and games loses money. Irt is an attrition item.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone42 View Post
    XBox is a loss-leader.
    Windows server products are increasingly replaceable. In 10-15 years, you probably won't even have a server at your company. It'll be virtualized somewhere on the 'net. It might run Linux or Windows or who knows. You won't care because it will all be seamless to you.

Office applications are still hanging around, but there are increasingly useful alternatives to traditional office applications.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHelgo View Post
    I'm sorry, but is this statement a joke? Increasingly irrelevant?? I guess, only if you think 90%+ market share in computer operating systems, >50% market share in server software, and a growing Entertainment division is called irrelevant. Biggest company in the world is irrelevant folks! I guess we are in deep *****.
    Their market share in operating systems is all fine and good, but it's an increasingly meaningless statistic. The PC market is mostly saturated. The massive growth we saw in the last 5-10 years is slowing - especially with the slowing economy. Market share only means something if there is a market. As more and more stuff gets moved to the net, the OS is becoming meaningless.

Vista was a total flop. People are largely happy with XP.

MS's browser share is at it's lowest in 8 years and falling.

Google is clobbering MS online, and that's where pretty much all the growth is. It isn't so much that MS is becoming irrelevant, but that their historical business is changing dramatically and they aren't structured to compete.

Basically, MS is what IBM was when MS was born.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 280
    Given: 32

I honestly think if Google released an open source operating system, they could single handedly drive Microsoft into the ground. Slowly but surely, Google is releasing products that have the same use as products Microsoft has released, but only easier to use and cheaper (see Chrome vs. Internet Explorer, Google Maps vs. Microsoft Streets and Maps). Once they got people to start flipping over in the corporate world, I could see Microsoft falling apart. Microsoft Office is quickly running into issues with internet products such as OpenOffice and with the current state of the economy, a free application (I think?) such as OpenOffice is going to become a viable option to many computer users.

Legend
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 773
    Given: 610

Office is slipping to OO? According to who? Vista may be a flop to some but there are still alot of users out there. Aside from Gmail being superior to Hotmail (for spam anyway), I dont see how Google is really stealing much. When its all said and done between Microsoft vs the World, it comes down to support. I will say though, on the virtualization side of things, VMware has Virtual PC beat hands down.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    Office is slipping to OO? According to who? Vista may be a flop to some but there are still alot of users out there. Aside from Gmail being superior to Hotmail (for spam anyway), I dont see how Google is really stealing much. When its all said and done between Microsoft vs the World, it comes down to support. I will say though, on the virtualization side of things, VMware has Virtual PC beat hands down.
    There are a lot of Vista users out there, but only because they've bought new computers. When people stop buying new computers, Vista will stop selling. And there is less and less reason for people to buy new computers, given that the economy is on a downwards pace and what most people have is good enough for what they do.

MS's traditional revenue stream is drying up. OSs are "good enough" for what everyone does these days, and there really isn't a whole lot of benefit for most consumers to upgrade.

The big advances in the application world that people "must have" are all coming from the net. Facebook, Flickr, Twitter, Youtube - hell Cyclonefanatic. Those are the things that increasingly make having a computer valuable. And NONE of them have anything to do with Microsoft.

Facebook - Apache
    Flickr - Apache/linux
    Twitter - Apache/linux
    Cyclonefanatic - Apache/Linux
    Youtube - Apache/Linux

None of those sites require squat in terms of MS applications to function.

Google's entire revenue stream almost all comes from advertising. MS is missing out on all of that.

Virtualization of servers and services means that physical hardware - and the licenses that have always been tied to it - is/are less and less meaningful, and less and less valuable.

While MS may still have a lot of clout, the "seeds" of the end of them as we have always known them have been planted. Just as IBM survived when the PC happened, MS will survive as well. Google is the next MS, though, and MS is the next IBM.

Legend
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 773
    Given: 610

Google's entire revenue stream almost all comes from advertising. MS is missing out on all of that.

That scares me in so many ways.

MS will probably feel the pinch and will most likely restructure. If the top dogs arent seeing this, then the board needs to find new management for the company's future.

Linux is still a looooooong way from becoming a fighter in the ring on general user level and is still fighting to get into alot of business use. I think they will get in somewhat.

So do you think at some point that computers wont be as we know them today and will in some way become just thin client terminals? Essentially, a flash based drive while all apps and storage will be online? (should bandwidth restrictions be a non factor)

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 112
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 4

XBox is a loss-leader.
    Windows server products are increasingly replaceable. In 10-15 years, you probably won't even have a server at your company. It'll be virtualized somewhere on the 'net. It might run Linux or Windows or who knows. You won't care because it will all be seamless to you.

Office applications are still hanging around, but there are increasingly useful alternatives to traditional office applications.

Their market share in operating systems is all fine and good, but it's an increasingly meaningless statistic. The PC market is mostly saturated. The massive growth we saw in the last 5-10 years is slowing - especially with the slowing economy. Market share only means something if there is a market. As more and more stuff gets moved to the net, the OS is becoming meaningless.

Vista was a total flop. People are largely happy with XP.

MS's browser share is at it's lowest in 8 years and falling.

Google is clobbering MS online, and that's where pretty much all the growth is. It isn't so much that MS is becoming irrelevant, but that their historical business is changing dramatically and they aren't structured to compete.

Basically, MS is what IBM was when MS was born.
    Ok, i don't know what industry you work in, but some of what you are saying is off base in my opinion.

1. Office Applications. Ok, things are moving to the net - Microsoft has announced and is implementing Cloud based versions of Office that will be sold on a subscription basis.

2. Operating systems. No matter how much stuff becomes virtualized or cloud-based, an OS will still be needed to access and utilize those applications - unless you have some brilliant plan to stick the OS in a cloud, which I would love to see how that would work.

3. GOOG vs. MSFT online. Here is something I agree whole-heartedly with you on. GOOG is destroying everyone in terms of search and selling Ads online. Once again though, you have to give MSFT an edge long term here unless GOOG figures out more ways to generate revenue. Business is generally unkind to companies who can't figure out a way to branch out from being a one-trick pony.

4. Vista. Probably a flop in terms of reputation, but not in terms of $$ generation. In addition, I think most are seeing Vista as a bridge to Windows 7, which is when most commercial businesses will upgrade.

5. IBM reference. Good analogy. However, IBM eventually found its way through this and is now (once again) an ultra-successful company - making $ hand over fist with its consulting arm.