View Poll Results: What should the NCAA football postseason be like?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep it the way it is

26 23.85%
  • 16 team playoff

10 9.17%
  • 8 team playoff

30 27.52%
  • 16 team playoff with 16 bowls for good teams that don't make the playoff

27 24.77%
  • 7 wins bowl eligible with 20 bowls

7 6.42%
  • other

9 8.26%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 115

Re: football playoffs

If they go to a 16 team playoff who can afford to go to all of the games if your team is one of the good ones? Do people skip the early rounds so they can afford the later ones? I can't see anybody but the upper crust, or stupid, attending more than one "bowl game".

Edit: I see that the attendance thing was discussed. 16 team will never happen.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,435
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I chose the 8-team playoff but would like to see some other bowls too. Not as many as there are now, though.

Pro
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,151
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 24

I think some people get confused and think playoff=no bowl games. You keep all the bowl games so they make their $$ and incorporate the playoff into them. The argument about people not attending is complete hogwash. Don't try and tell me that people would hold off attending a national semifinal because they've already seen them play earlier in the playoff.

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 177
    Given: 65

Quote Originally Posted by cyingreen View Post
    If I understand the 16 team playoff correctly, you would have the two teams in the finals playing perhaps 17 games in a season. 12 regular season games, possibly a conference championship game, then 4 additional games in the playoffs. We'd better add more scholarships to make sure there are enough healthy bodies by the end of the process. While a playoff based strictly on the BCS rankings would be interesting, it would be better to keep it to 8.

FCS (Division II) plays a 16-game playoff. If their bodies can handle it, so should FBS (Division I) players.

I would prefer we got to a 16 game playoff, taking the 11 conference champs, plus 5 at larges. If the amount of games is a concern, than go back to the 11 game season.

Addict
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,480
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by wonkadog View Post
    I think some people get confused and think playoff=no bowl games. You keep all the bowl games so they make their $$ and incorporate the playoff into them. The argument about people not attending is complete hogwash. Don't try and tell me that people would hold off attending a national semifinal because they've already seen them play earlier in the playoff.
    Yes, they would.
    Could you afford to travel to two or three separate neutral field games possibly on opposite ends of the country in consecutive weeks?

The two likely scenarios for most people would be either go to the first playoff game (most likely) or wait for a semifinal or national championship game.

VERY few people can afford either the time or the money to do that. And if they did, they would likely spend less time at the destination of the bowl game, and that hurts the viability of the bowl, since they largely exist to stimulate tourism.

IMO, playoffs and bowls are mutually exclusive. You can have one, but not the other. Bowl games just wouldn't be financially viable with the existence of a playoff.

I'd like to go back to the pre-BCS days and just have a +1 game after all the bowls are over between the top 2 teams based on their BCS rankings after the bowl games are played out. I'd like to eliminate any teams participating in a bowl that is played after 1 Jan from consideration for the +1 game.

I'd like to tweak the BCS rankings to give human polls the same amount of influence as the computer polls, and add as many more computer polls to the equation as possible.

I'd also like to include margin of victory in all those equations, with a cap of, say 20 points.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,435
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post
    Yes, they would.
    Could you afford to travel to two or three separate neutral field games possibly on opposite ends of the country in consecutive weeks?

The two likely scenarios for most people would be either go to the first playoff game (most likely) or wait for a semifinal or national championship game.

VERY few people can afford either the time or the money to do that. And if they did, they would likely spend less time at the destination of the bowl game, and that hurts the viability of the bowl, since they largely exist to stimulate tourism.
    IMO, you'd have to have at least the earlier playoff games on the home fields of the higher ranked teams, similar to the NFL. Otherwise I do believe you would see decreased attendance at neutral sites.

Legend
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 15

16 team playoff and 16 bowls... Disband a couple of the smaller conferences and have them join others to there are 8 conferences. Every team has a conference championship game which is essentially the first round of the playoffs with all money going to the conference then play it down from 8...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Pro
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,151
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 24

Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post
    Yes, they would.

IMO, playoffs and bowls are mutually exclusive. You can have one, but not the other. Bowl games just wouldn't be financially viable with the existence of a playoff.

I'd like to go back to the pre-BCS days and just have a +1 game after all the bowls are over between the top 2 teams based on their BCS rankings after the bowl games are played out. I'd like to eliminate any teams participating in a bowl that is played after 1 Jan from consideration for the +1 game.
    I can't believe there are still those favoring a +1 system. It's absolutely ridiculous and solves nothing. If nothing else it would just add more debates over who gets that +1 game.

As for attendance issues, you obviously have at least the 1st round of the playoff at home sites - guaranteed sellouts.

Rookie
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 308
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    16 team playoff and 16 bowls... Disband a couple of the smaller conferences and have them join others to there are 8 conferences. Every team has a conference championship game which is essentially the first round of the playoffs with all money going to the conference then play it down from 8...
    I like this idea.

"Whoever said it doesn't matter if you win or lose probably lost."

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

We'll never see a playoff system because of the money involved with the bowl system as well as the costs associated with the fans having to travel to multiple games. Think about it, with an 8 team playoff if you made the title game you'd have to travel 3 times or the other case would be those 3 games would have lower attendance as fans decided which game(s) they would attend if they could not afford to possibly go to all 3.

Go Cubs Go!

All-Star
    Thumbs Up

Well, the way the postseason is now, I think it's 34 teams that'll be able to say they won something at the end of the year. I'm just worried that ISU would never make even a 16 game playoff.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Drive4cy View Post
    Plus 1 is all I want. Otherwise, keep it as is.
    I tend to agree with this. A +1 would take care of things most years. This year it would be USC v. Oklahoma/Florida. Texas and Utah could also end up with legitimate bones to pick, but **** happens sometimes, and would happen less often with a +1. I would always put a one-team-per-conference limit on the top 4, so a plus one would never fix a 2008 Texas scenario.

I would not go for more than an 8 game playoff, as 16 is too many. Playing games in some of the northern stadiums in late December would be awful. (Think JTS right now).

One interesting thing about the current system is that every single game matters. Its kind of like a season long playoff. A large playoff would deteriorate this aspect of the game. Rarely are there more than 4 teams with a legitimate claim to the national title, and a plus one can create a 4 team playoff. The bowls might have to be slightly tweaked to ensure that a 1-4 and 2-3 matchup is created.

Seneca Wallace.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The problem with the plus one is that it still doesn't solve the problem that going into the year, half the teams can't even qualify to play in the championship, no matter how good they are and who they beat... IMO all 119 teams should have the chance to play for the championship, not just the ones that have money...

Check out my blog

Walk On
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    Good idea.

What about this, probably would never happen because it's way too drastic of change but...we're at 119 FBS teams now. Add one more so we have 120.

Then, with a little creative restructuring you can have 12-10 team conferences. Each conference plays a nine-game round robin scheudle, plus three out of conference games.

12 nice, neat, conference champions, the top four ranked champs get byes, the other 8 play a first round game, and then you're down to your 8 team playoff. Of course, if you wanted a 16 team, playoff, 4 at-large bids could be thrown in.

Or you could have ten 12-team conferences, with 10 champs and two at large spots, using the 12 team bracket previously discussed.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyeguy85 View Post
    Good idea.

What about this, probably would never happen because it's way too drastic of change but...we're at 119 FBS teams now. Add one more so we have 120.

Then, with a little creative restructuring you can have 12-10 team conferences. Each conference plays a nine-game round robin scheudle, plus three out of conference games.

12 nice, neat, conference champions, the top four ranked champs get byes, the other 8 play a first round game, and then you're down to your 8 team playoff. Of course, if you wanted a 16 team, playoff, 4 at-large bids could be thrown in.

Or you could have ten 12-team conferences, with 10 champs and two at large spots, using the 12 team bracket previously discussed.
    That is also a thought I have had, I even went as far to draw up mock conference...

Check out my blog