football playoffs

View Poll Results: What should the NCAA football postseason be like?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep it the way it is

26 23.85%
  • 16 team playoff

10 9.17%
  • 8 team playoff

30 27.52%
  • 16 team playoff with 16 bowls for good teams that don't make the playoff

27 24.77%
  • 7 wins bowl eligible with 20 bowls

7 6.42%
  • other

9 8.26%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Rookie
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 483
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

football playoffs

I say we go to a 16 team playoff. With 16 bowls for the teams that are good but not that good.

"Whoever said it doesn't matter if you win or lose probably lost."

Thumbs Up

Re: football playoffs

Bowl games are totally worthless; they're nothing but monuments to money and greed! Isn't it interesting that Div. 1A (or whatever it's called now) is the only level in football, from PeeWee to the NFL, that doesn't have a playoff system. That's just wrong.

Addict
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,319
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 43

Plus 1 is all I want. Otherwise, keep it as is.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 800

Quote Originally Posted by Orange View Post
    Bowl games are totally worthless; they're nothing but monuments to money and greed! Isn't it interesting that Div. 1A (or whatever it's called now) is the only level in football, from PeeWee to the NFL, that doesn't have a playoff system. That's just wrong.
    Agreed. Hell in Texas we are still in High School Football. Lots of playoffs = great time!

Chile Mac is Back!
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 776
    Given: 1,968

I'd like playoffs sort of, but I definitely want to see 7 wins if they are going to have a 12 game schedule. Or just go back to 11 games, but that won't happen because of greed.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 247
    Given: 613

A +1 or playoff will still be filled with controversy. The system we have now is pretty good. In fact, I would go back to how it was prior to the BCS.

So much of the rankings in college football are made on subjective opinions. The concept ranking people on a simple win/loss basis is pretty much a farce. Look at the preseason rankings each year.

If you are going to base a lot of the rankings on subjective terms, might as well award the national title the same way.

Starter
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 208
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 3

At this point in time a playoff system would only really help out USC. You would also have to have a field of at least 32 teams to help out non BCS schools, because under a 16 team playoff at least 14 teams would be from BCS confrences.

All-Star
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 544
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 94

Quote Originally Posted by ajk4st8 View Post
    A +1 or playoff will still be filled with controversy. The system we have now is pretty good. In fact, I would go back to how it was prior to the BCS.

So much of the rankings in college football are made on subjective opinions. The concept ranking people on a simple win/loss basis is pretty much a farce. Look at the preseason rankings each year.

If you are going to base a lot of the rankings on subjective terms, might as well award the national title the same way.
    I agree a +1 would leave out deserving teams most years, we need at least an 8 team playoff. There's always going to be someone on the bubble with a legimate complaint, (see Texas), unless you invite everyone, but 8 teams would include the most deserving in most peoples opinions and would fit in at the end of the season well. You could still have just as many bowl games for the 7 game winners, a minimum standard they should enforce with teams playing 12-13 games a year.

I don't see how this wouldn't bring in more revenue and excitement, two things that should please the gestapo of the NCAA. The argument about missing class doesn't really hold water, as a lot of the time would be over Christmas break, plus look at the teams that go to the Final Four, they still seem to make do, although half of them declare for the draft the day after the tourney.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,146
    Given: 1,023

I think a 16 team playoff would be enough to include everyone that has a legitimate shot at the title, with enough room for a Cinderella too. I think the "only USC gets screwed" argument doesn't wash. So does Texas this year, and there are always 2 or 3 teams on the outside looking in. Another 16 could go to bowls, but I do think the requirement needs to be 7 wins unless they changed back to an 11 game season.

Rookie
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 651
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 3

If I understand the 16 team playoff correctly, you would have the two teams in the finals playing perhaps 17 games in a season. 12 regular season games, possibly a conference championship game, then 4 additional games in the playoffs. We'd better add more scholarships to make sure there are enough healthy bodies by the end of the process. While a playoff based strictly on the BCS rankings would be interesting, it would be better to keep it to 8.

I bleed Cardinal & Gold

Speechless
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,146
    Given: 1,023

Quote Originally Posted by cyingreen View Post
    If I understand the 16 team playoff correctly, you would have the two teams in the finals playing perhaps 17 games in a season. 12 regular season games, possibly a conference championship game, then 4 additional games in the playoffs. We'd better add more scholarships to make sure there are enough healthy bodies by the end of the process. While a playoff based strictly on the BCS rankings would be interesting, it would be better to keep it to 8.
    Since we are dreaming here anyway, I would drop the conference championships and the 12th game. That would put the maximum game total at 15. Some teams are close to that now. Like I said......dreaming. There's no way anyone is going to want to give up the conference championships or the 12th game. I think the 12th game was put in there for a ready made excuse against a playoff.

Addict
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 898
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 14

I say go 12 teams give top 4 byes. Then other 8 the top seed plays at home.

Winners plus 4 byes goto BCS bowls.

Go by BCS rankings to pick top 12 I would probably still have a 2 team per conference rule with exceptions for poor conferences and mid majors/ND

Definitively should be required to win 7 games to goto traditional bowls.

Pro
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,384
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 98

Playoffs will never happen. the only viable option ever will be a +1 system that this year would give us the 3 way dance of OU/UF, and Texas(or whoever).

can the playoffs replace the bowls? nope. You cant expect a fanbase to send 20,000-30,000 to a neutral location week after week following their team.

A playoff would have to be played at each schools home field(ie: home field advantage for games) and will all the extra games and such for those included it muddies the bowl picture waiting for the results early in the playoff to play out to see who would go to what bowls.

College football playoffs are a pipe dream. The fact they have made an attempt to get 1 and 2 to play at the end is the best we can hope for.

Sorry for the debbie downer, but the bowls have way too much tradition and backing for that infrastructure to ever crumble or be replaced.

Last edited by Omaha Cy; 01-02-2009 at 09:18 AM.
    http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

Walk On
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ktoddcyclones View Post
    I say we go to a 16 team playoff. With 16 bowls for the teams that are good but not that good.
    I like the idea, but I don't know if, or how long the bowls could survive in that climate.

I think you'd probably have to stage the playoff games on campus...can you get enough fans to travel to what could amount to four separate bowl games otherwise?

So if you are playing the playoffs on campus, and then just have 16 bowls the low level bowls are immediately killed off, and now places like the Cotton, Cap One and Gator Bowls from picking teams immediately outside of the top ten (who are the the BCS) to a pool of teams from #17 to 32.

And basically, since there are still only 64 post season teams the Holiday and Alamo bowls are now getting the teams the GMAC, New Mexico and Eagle Bank bowls got. I don't know that the bowls would be economically viable anymore.

Of course, I guess it works now for the bowls to have games between #58 and #62, so maybe it could work...

Rookie
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 483
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyeguy85 View Post
    I like the idea, but I don't know if, or how long the bowls could survive in that climate.

I think you'd probably have to stage the playoff games on campus...can you get enough fans to travel to what could amount to four separate bowl games otherwise?

So if you are playing the playoffs on campus, and then just have 16 bowls the low level bowls are immediately killed off, and now places like the Cotton, Cap One and Gator Bowls from picking teams immediately outside of the top ten (who are the the BCS) to a pool of teams from #17 to 32.

And basically, since there are still only 64 post season teams the Holiday and Alamo bowls are now getting the teams the GMAC, New Mexico and Eagle Bank bowls got. I don't know that the bowls would be economically viable anymore.

Of course, I guess it works now for the bowls to have games between #58 and #62, so maybe it could work...
    The team with the best winning pct. would have homefield advantage until it's down to the last 4. Then they would be held at neutral locations.

"Whoever said it doesn't matter if you win or lose probably lost."